- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: relationship to insulin sensitivity and oxidative stress. Treatment approaches using vitamin E, magnesium, and betaine
Altern Med Rev 7:276-91. 2002
..Treatment approaches that address these etiologies are reviewed: betaine, magnesium, and vitamin E...
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): a review of conventional and alternative treatments
Altern Med Rev 16:116-33. 2011
..This article discusses these challenges, investigates the mechanisms of damage in GERD, and explores the existing data on unconventional forms of treatment, including melatonin, acupuncture, botanicals, and dietary interventions...
- Mercury exposure, nutritional deficiencies and metabolic disruptions may affect learning in children
United Tribes Technical College, Bismarck, ND, USA
Behav Brain Funct 5:44. 2009
- Iodine: deficiency and therapeutic considerations
Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, USA
Altern Med Rev 13:116-27. 2008
..Iodine may also have important antioxidant functions in breast tissue and other tissues that concentrate iodine via the sodium iodide symporter...
- Thyroid disruption: mechanism and clinical implications in human health
Postgraduate Certification Course in Environmental Medicine, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, USA
Altern Med Rev 14:326-46. 2009
- Mercury toxicity and antioxidants: Part 1: role of glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of mercury toxicity
Altern Med Rev 7:456-71. 2002
..This review of the literature will assess the role of glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of mercury toxicity...
- Toxic metals and antioxidants: Part II. The role of antioxidants in arsenic and cadmium toxicity
Altern Med Rev 8:106-28. 2003
..Several antioxidants including NAC, zinc, methionine, and cysteine, when used in conjunction with standard chelating agents, can improve the mobilization and excretion of arsenic and cadmium...
- Lead toxicity, a review of the literature. Part 1: Exposure, evaluation, and treatment
Altern Med Rev 11:2-22. 2006
..Issues surrounding the assessment of body lead burden and the consequences of low-level environmental exposure are critical in the treatment of chronic disease related to lead toxicity...
- Lead toxicity part II: the role of free radical damage and the use of antioxidants in the pathology and treatment of lead toxicity
Altern Med Rev 11:114-27. 2006
..The evidence for their use in lead exposure, alone and in conjunction with chelating agents, is reviewed in this article...