Affiliation: Pan American Health Organization
- [Preterm delivery: detection of risks and preventive treatment]F Althabe
Hospital de Clinicas, Montevideo, Uruguay
Rev Panam Salud Publica 5:373-85. 1999..There is a need to continue and support basic and epidemiological research in order to develop new knowledge on the causes and mechanisms of preterm delivery and on preventing the morbidity and mortality that preterm delivery produces...
- Episiotomy rates in primiparous women in Latin America: hospital based descriptive studyFernando Althabe
Latin American Center for Perinatology, Pan American Health Organization, World Health Organization, Casilla de Correos 627, Montevideo 11000, Uruguay
BMJ 324:945-6. 2002
- Mandatory second opinion to reduce rates of unnecessary caesarean sections in Latin America: a cluster randomised controlled trialFernando Althabe
Latin American Center for Perinatology, Pan American Health Organization, WHO, Montevideo, Uruguay
Lancet 363:1934-40. 2004....
- Use of antenatal corticosteroids for preterm birth in Latin America: providers knowledge, attitudes and practicesAlicia Aleman
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay
Reprod Health 10:4. 2013..The aim of this study was to assess the knowledge, attitudes and practices of health care providers regarding the use of antenatal corticosteroids in women at risk of preterm birth in Latin America...
- Cesarean section rates and maternal and neonatal mortality in low-, medium-, and high-income countries: an ecological studyFernando Althabe
Perinatal Research Unit, Hospital de Clinicas, Montevideo, Uruguay
Birth 33:270-7. 2006....
- Use of oxytocin during early stages of labor and its effect on active management of third stage of laborClaudio G Sosa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay
Am J Obstet Gynecol 204:238.e1-5. 2011....
- Risk factors for postpartum hemorrhage in vaginal deliveries in a Latin-American populationClaudio G Sosa
Perinatal Research Unit, School of Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay
Obstet Gynecol 113:1313-9. 2009..To identify risk factors for immediate postpartum hemorrhage after vaginal delivery in a South American population...
- Bed rest in singleton pregnancies for preventing preterm birthClaudio G Sosa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology School of Medicine, University of Uruguay, Echevarriarza 3320 Apartment 701, Montevideo, Uruguay, 11300
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD003581. 2015..However, bed rest may have some adverse effects on other outcomes...
- Use of prenatal corticosteroids for preterm birth in three Latin American countriesAlicia Aleman Riganti
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 108:52-7. 2010..To determine the prevalence of the use of prenatal corticosteroids in women who delivered prematurely in 3 Latin American counties and to evaluate the maternal characteristics associated with use...
- Caesarean section: the paradoxFernando Althabe
Perinatal Research Unit, Montevideo, Uruguay
Lancet 368:1472-3. 2006
- Mode of childbirth in low-risk pregnancies: nicaraguan physicians' viewpointsMercedes Colomar
Montevideo Clinical and Epidemiological Research Unit, UNICEM, Hosp Clinicas, Av Italia S N, Montevideo, Uruguay
Matern Child Health J 18:2382-92. 2014....
- Abortion debate in Latin America and beyondMabel Bianco
Lancet 370:1309-10. 2007
- Strategies for improving the quality of health care in maternal and child health in low- and middle-income countries: an overview of systematic reviewsFernando Althabe
Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy IECS, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 22:42-60. 2008..This requires a governance structure that clearly assigns responsibility for quality-improvement activities, priority setting, selection and design of interventions, and evaluation...
- A behavioral intervention to improve obstetrical careFernando Althabe
Institute of Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
N Engl J Med 358:1929-40. 2008..Implementation of evidence-based obstetrical practices remains a significant challenge. Effective strategies to disseminate and implement such practices are needed...
- Health consequences of the increasing caesarean section ratesJose M Belizan
Department of Mother and Child Health Research, Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy IECS, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Epidemiology 18:485-6. 2007..Testing of interventions to reduce unnecessary C-sections is also needed, with strategies to enhance the role of women in the process of their obstetric care...
- Facilitators and barriers to adoption of evidence-based perinatal care in Latin American hospitals: a qualitative studyMaria Belizan
Institute for Clinical Effectiveness ealth Policy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Health Educ Res 22:839-53. 2007..Improving information access, use of role models, skill development and improved resources and support may be effective ways to overcome barriers to change in Latin American obstetric care...
- Health inequality in Latin AmericaJose M Belizan
Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lancet 370:1599-600. 2007