M A Beg
Affiliation: The Aga Khan University
- Comparative features and outcomes of malaria at a tertiary care hospital in Karachi, PakistanM A Beg
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Int J Infect Dis 12:37-42. 2008..A comparison of clinical and laboratory features, diagnostic methods, drug treatment, and outcomes for patients hospitalized with malaria by Plasmodium species...
- Tumor necrosis factor -α, interleukin-10, intercellular and vascular adhesion molecules are possible biomarkers of disease severity in complicated plasmodium vivax isolates from PakistanAfsheen Raza
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
PLoS ONE 8:e81363. 2013..falciparum for manifestations of severe malaria. Therefore, the main objective of this study was to characterize the role of cytokines and endothelial activation markers in complicated Plasmodium vivax isolates from Pakistan...
- Prevalence and factors associated with intestinal parasitic infection among children in an urban slum of KarachiVikram Mehraj
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
PLoS ONE 3:e3680. 2008..The study aimed to estimate prevalence and identify factors associated with intestinal parasitic infections among 1 to 5 years old children residing in an urban slum of Karachi Pakistan...
- Prevalence and molecular basis of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in Afghan populations: implications for treatment policy in the regionToby Leslie
HealthNet TPO, Kabul, Afghanistan
Malar J 12:230. 2013..This study assessed the prevalence and genotype of G6PD deficiency in Afghan populations and examined the need for routine G6PD testing as a malaria treatment and control tool...
- Prevalence of drug resistance associated mutations in Plasmodium vivax against sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine in southern PakistanAfsheen Raza
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Malar J 12:261. 2013..vivax from southern Pakistan...
- Reducing transfusion-associated malaria in Pakistan: an algorithmic approachZain A Sobani
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Pakistan
Trop Doct 43:124-7. 2013..We hope this algorithm will assist in the development of future national guidelines for screening blood for malaria that will reduce the risk of blood-borne transmission. ..
- Hyper-reactive malarial splenomegaly in the absence of raised IgM antibodiesMahnur Haider
Ziauddin University, Karachi, Pakistan
Trop Doct 43:37-8. 2013..The investigations were not consistent with any other diagnosis. HMS is also briefly reviewed...
- Genetic diversity of Plasmodium vivax clinical isolates from southern Pakistan using pvcsp and pvmsp1 genetic markersAfsheen Raza
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
Malar J 12:16. 2013..Therefore, this study aimed to bridge the existing knowledge gap on population structure on P. vivax from Pakistan using these two polymorphic genes...
- Prevalence of resistance associated polymorphisms in Plasmodium falciparum field isolates from southern PakistanNajia Karim Ghanchi
Malaria Research Lab, Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital Karolinska Institutet, Retziusväg 10, Stockholm, Sweden
Malar J 10:18. 2011..The aim of this study was, therefore, to determine the prevalence of P. falciparum resistance associated polymorphisms in field isolates from southern Pakistan...
- Genetic diversity among Plasmodium falciparum field isolates in Pakistan measured with PCR genotyping of the merozoite surface protein 1 and 2Najia K Ghanchi
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Malar J 9:1. 2010..This study aimed to establish molecular characterization of P. falciparum field isolates in Pakistan measured with two highly polymorphic genetic markers, i.e. the merozoite surface protein 1 (msp-1)and 2 (msp-2)...
- An experimental model for amoebic abscess production in the cheek pouch of the Syrian golden hamster, Mesocricetus auratusM A Beg
Department of Microbiology, Pathology and Medicine, The Aga Khan University Medical College, P O Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Parasitol Int 53:247-54. 2004..histolytica...
- Cerebral involvement in benign tertian malariaM A Beg
Department of Microbiology, The Aga Khan University Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:230-2. 2002..We report a case of cerebral malaria caused by P. vivax and review the literature on this subject...
- Rapid immunochromatography-based detection of mixed-species malaria infection in PakistanM A Beg
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, PO Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:562-4. 2005..falciparum and P. vivax infection, is of immense importance for individual patient management and in reducing the burden of disease, especially in regions of chloroquine resistance...
- Entamoeba species associated with chronic diarrhoea in PakistanJ Yakoob
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Epidemiol Infect 140:323-8. 2012..dispar in 19% (24/129) (P=0·117) and E. moshkovskii in 19% (24/129) (P<0·001). E. histolytica and E. moshkovskii were significantly associated with diarrhoea while E. dispar was found equally in both groups...
- Prevalences of Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum infection in adults presenting with chronic diarrhoeaJ Yakoob
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi B, Pakistan
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 104:505-10. 2010..6%) of the 167 found smear-negative (k=0.954; P<0.001). Although C. parvum was associated with chronic diarrhoea in the present study, the carriage of G. lamblia often appeared asymptomatic...
- Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia and filariasis in PakistanM A Beg
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical College, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 32:73-5. 2001..Two persons had W. bancrofti antigen in their sera confirmed by filariasis antigen detection test. Tropical pulmonary eosinophilia due to Wuchereria. bancrofti, although rare, is present in Pakistan...
- Aberrant blood flow area and plasma gonadotropin concentrations during the development of dominant-sized transitional anovulatory follicles in maresT J Acosta
Eutheria Foundation, Cross Plains, WI 53528, USA
Biol Reprod 71:637-42. 2004....
- Hormonal mechanism of follicle deviation as indicated by major versus minor follicular waves during the transition into the anovulatory season in maresO J Ginther
Eutheria Foundation, Cross Plains, WI 53528, USA
Reproduction 126:653-60. 2003..A minor wave developed into a major wave when the largest follicle reached a diameter characteristic of the beginning of deviation in the presence of an adequate LH stimulus for continued growth of a dominant follicle...