- The role of the cerebral capillaries in acute ischemic stroke: the extended penumbra model
Department of Neuroradiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 33:635-48. 2013
..In this review, we discuss the possible implications of these findings for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of acute stroke...
- The capillary dysfunction hypothesis of Alzheimer's disease
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience and MINDLab, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Neurobiol Aging 34:1018-31. 2013
..Salient features of the model are discussed in the context of AD pathology along with potential sources of increased capillary flow heterogeneity...
- Predicting tissue outcome in stroke: new approaches
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Department of Neuroradiology, University of Aarhus, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Curr Opin Neurol 22:54-9. 2009
..The review describes techniques to more accurately image and model penumbral infarct risk...
- Tapping polyrhythms in music activates language areas
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark Royal Academy of Music, Aarhus, Denmark
Neurosci Lett 494:211-6. 2011
..This data indicates that the activation is linked to polyrhythmic tension, regardless of whether it arises from the stimulus or the task...
- Microstructural changes in ischemic cortical gray matter predicted by a model of diffusion-weighted MRI
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience Department of Neuroradiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:529-40. 2007
- Carbogen inhalation increases oxygen transport to hypoperfused brain tissue in patients with occlusive carotid artery disease: increased oxygen transport to hypoperfused brain
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience CFIN, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Bygn 30, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Brain Res 1304:90-5. 2009
..Further studies with more subjects are, however, needed to investigate the applicability of carbogen for long-term inhalation and to assess its therapeutic benefits in acute stroke patients...
- Distinct neural responses to chord violations: a multiple source analysis study
Eduardo A Garza Villarreal
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, University of Aarhus, Danish Neuroscience Center, Aarhus University Hospital, Nørrebrogade 44 Building 10G 5, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Brain Res 1389:103-14. 2011
..These findings suggest a predominant role of the auditory cortices in detecting sequential scale regularities and the posterior prefrontal cortex in parsing hierarchical regularities in music...
- Interrater agreement for final infarct MRI lesion delineation
Anders B Neumann
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University Hospitals, Aarhus, Denmark
Stroke 40:3768-71. 2009
..The objective of this study was to quantify the geometric interrater agreement for lesion delineation of chronic infarcts on T2-weighted and fluid-attenuated inverse recovery (FLAIR) MRI...
- Automatic selection of arterial input function using cluster analysis
Centre for Functionally Integrative Neuroscience CFIN, Department of Neuroradiology, Arhus University Hospital, Denmark
Magn Reson Med 55:524-31. 2006
- Superior analgesic effect of an active distraction versus pleasant unfamiliar sounds and music: the influence of emotion and cognitive style
Eduardo A Garza Villarreal
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e29397. 2012
..These findings suggest that familiarity may be key in the influence of the cognitive and emotional mechanisms of music-induced analgesia, and that cognitive styles may influence pain perception...
- Predictive coding of music--brain responses to rhythmic incongruity
Centre of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, University of Aarhus, and PET Center, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Cortex 45:80-92. 2009
..We propose that these differences trace a functional adaptation and/or a genetic pre-disposition in experts which allows for a more precise rhythmic prediction...
- Depression severity is correlated to the integrity of white matter fiber tracts in late-onset major depression
Rikke Beese Dalby
Centre for Psychiatric Research, Aarhus University Hospital, Risskov, Risskov, Denmark
Psychiatry Res 184:38-48. 2010
..In conclusion, depression severity correlates with the tract-specific localization of WMLs. WMLs have a pronounced effect on white matter integrity in the pathways they intersect...
- The effect of impermeable boundaries of arbitrary geometry on the apparent diffusion coefficient
Astrid F Frøhlich
Department of Neuroradiology, Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience CFIN, University Hospital of Aarhus, Nørrebrogade 44, Building 30, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Magn Reson 194:128-35. 2008
..The application of the results are discussed in relation to determination of the microscopic structure of brain white matter...
- Presymptomatic cerebral blood flow changes in CHMP2B mutation carriers of familial frontotemporal dementia (FTD-3), measured with MRI
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
BMJ Open 2:e000368. 2012
..To assess functional changes measured by cerebral blood flow (CBF) in the presymptomatic stage of frontotemporal dementia linked to chromosome 3 (FTD-3) caused by a truncating mutation in CHMP2B...
- Cerebral metabolic response to low blood flow: possible role of cytochrome oxidase inhibition
Pathophysiology and Experimental Tomography Center, Aarhus University Hospital in Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 25:1183-96. 2005
..The adjustment of cytochrome c oxidase affinity to the declining oxygen delivery could be ascribed to a hypothetical factor with several properties in common with nitric oxide...
- Visualization of altered neurovascular coupling in chronic stroke patients using multimodal functional MRI
Jakob U Blicher
Research Unit, Hammel Neurocentre, Aarhus University Hospital, Hammel, Denmark
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 32:2044-54. 2012
..A table is provided outlining distinct vascular and metabolic uncoupling possibilities that elicit different BOLD responses, and the strengths and limitations of the multimodal protocol are summarized...
- Bayesian regularization of diffusion tensor images
Department of Neuroradiology, Centre for Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
Biostatistics 8:784-99. 2007
..In this paper, we develop a Bayesian procedure for regularizing the diffusion tensor field, fully utilizing the available 3D information of fiber orientation. The use of the procedure is exemplified on synthetic and in vivo data...