Affiliation: University of Oslo
- Predictors of posttraumatic stress reactions in Norwegian U.N. peacekeepers 7 years after serviceLars Mehlum
Norwegian Defense Command HQ, Oslo
J Trauma Stress 15:17-26. 2002..These factors explained 25% (overall sample) and 37% (repatriated sample) of the variation in the posttraumatic symptom score...
- A suicide prevention strategy for EnglandLars Mehlum
Department of Psychiatry, Medical Faculty, Suicide Research and Prevention Unit, University of Oslo, Norway
Crisis 25:69-73. 2004..This paper examines the content of the new national strategy for suicide prevention in England and what new contributions to the field it may make...
- Suicide in peacekeepers: risk factors for suicide versus accidental deathSiri Thoresen
Norwegian Centre for Studies on Violence and Traumatic Stress, Ltd, Kirkeveien 166, Bygning 48 Z, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Suicide Life Threat Behav 36:432-42. 2006..No peacekeeping-related factor was associated with suicide. Preventive measures should focus on firearms control, improved detection systems for mental health problems in the military, and peer support through veterans' associations...
- Risk factors for long-term posttraumatic stress reactions in unarmed UN military observers: a four-year follow-up studyLars Mehlum
Suicide Research and Prevention Unit, Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:800-4. 2006..Multivariate analyses demonstrated stress exposure during the mission and problems with social adaptation after homecoming to predict posttraumatic stress symptoms at follow-up...
- Risk factors for fatal accidents and suicides in peacekeepers: is there an overlap?Siri Thoresen
The Norwegian Armed Forces Joint Medical Centre, Medical Division, Psychiatry Branch, Sognsvannsveien 21, Building 20, N 0320 Oslo, Norway
Mil Med 169:988-93. 2004..This study was conducted to investigate fatal accidents in Norwegian former peacekeepers...
- Risk factors for completed suicide in veterans of peacekeeping: repatriation, negative life events, and marital statusSiri Thoresen
Norwegian Center for Violence and Traumatic Stress Studies, Oslo, Norway
Arch Suicide Res 10:353-63. 2006..Preventive measures should focus on careful personnel selection and follow-up of repatriated individuals...
- Is there a specific relationship between childhood sexual and physical abuse and repeated suicidal behavior?Mette Ystgaard
Suicide Research and Prevention Unit, Sognsvannsveien 21, Building 12, University of Oslo, NO 0320 Oslo, Norway
Child Abuse Negl 28:863-75. 2004..Little is known about the importance of sexual and physical abuse when compared to other severe childhood adversities with respect to chronic suicidal behavior...
- Suicide in peacekeepers--a cohort study of mortality from suicide in 22,275 Norwegian veterans from international peacekeeping operationsSiri Thoresen
The Norwegian Armed Forces Joint Medical Centre, Medical Division, Psychiatry Branch, Sognsvannsveien 21, Building 20, 0320, Oslo, Norway
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 38:605-10. 2003..The question has also been raised as to whether such veterans might be at increased risk of suicide. This study investigated the suicide mortality in Norwegian former peacekeepers...
- [Deliberate self harm in adolescents]Mette Ystgaard
Seksjon for selvmordsforskning og forebygging, Det medisinske fakultet, Universitetet i Oslo, 0320 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:2241-5. 2003..A new method was developed by which the adolescents' self-reported acts of deliberate self harm are included and categorised according to strict predefined criteria...
- [Suicidal behaviour in borderline personality disorder]Lars Mehlum
Seksjon for selvmordsforskning og forebygging, Instituttgruppe for psykiatri, Universitetet i Oslo, Sognsvannsveien 21, 0320 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:2946-9. 2006..The paper discusses how these treatment models address suicidal behaviour in patients with borderline personality disorder and the results that have been achieved in studies of treatment effectiveness...
- Psychiatric comorbidity may not predict suicide during and after hospitalization. A nested case-control study with blinded ratersFredrik A Walby
Suicide Research and Prevention Unit, Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Norway
J Affect Disord 92:253-60. 2006..To investigate the differential impact of DSM-IV axis-I and axis-II disorders on completed suicide and to study if psychiatric comorbidity increases the risk of suicide in currently and previously hospitalized psychiatric patients...
- Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic reviewJ John Mann
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Division of Neuroscience, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 294:2064-74. 2005..Some developed nations have implemented national suicide prevention plans. Although these plans generally propose multiple interventions, their effectiveness is rarely evaluated...
- [Deliberate self-harm]Lars Mehlum
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 124:2734. 2004
- [Psychosocial crisis help]Lars Mehlum
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128:2048. 2008