Affiliation: University of Oslo
- Are readmission rates influenced by how psychiatric services are organized?Lars Lien
Sanderud Sykehus, NO 2312 Ottestad, Norway
Nord J Psychiatry 56:23-8. 2002..Readmission rates may, however, be an important tool in the planning of mental health services...
- Is the relationship between smoking and mental health influenced by other unhealthy lifestyle factors? Results from a 3-year follow-up study among adolescents in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Adolesc Health 45:609-17. 2009..These studies have not controlled for other lifestyle factors. The aim of this longitudinal study was to assess the relationship between smoking and depressive symptoms, controlling for other lifestyle factors...
- Mental and somatic health complaints associated with school bullying between 10th and 12th grade students; results from cross sectional studies in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Box 1130, 0318 Oslo, Norway
Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 5:6. 2009....
- The association between mental health problems and inflammatory conditions across gender and immigrant status: a population-based cross-sectional study among 10th-grade studentsLars Lien
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Public Health 36:353-60. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe the prevalence of and investigate the association between mental health problems, asthma, allergy and eczema in Norwegian and immigrant youths...
- [Overweight among adolescents in Oslo]Nanna Lien
Avdeling for ernaeringsvitenskap, Det medisinske fakultet, Universitetet i Oslo, Postboks 1046 Blindern, 0316 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 127:2254-8. 2007..The aims of the study were to identify overweight and mental health problems by socio-demographic group and lifestyle and a possible association between overweight and mental health...
- Posttraumatic growth, depressive symptoms, posttraumatic stress symptoms, post-migration stressors and quality of life in multi-traumatized psychiatric outpatients with a refugee background in NorwayDinu Stefan Teodorescu
Innlandet Hospital Trust, PO Box 104, Brumunddal, N 2381, Norway
Health Qual Life Outcomes 10:84. 2012....
- Collaboration between general practitioners and mental health care professionals: a qualitative studyTerje Fredheim
Centre for Psychology of Religion, Innlandet Hospital Trust SIHF, Hamar, Norway
Int J Ment Health Syst 5:13. 2011..abstract:..
- Atopic conditions and mental health problems: a 3-year follow-up studyLars Lien
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 19:705-13. 2010..To live with atopic conditions seem to affect the mood and level of anxiety among adolescent girls. This should be kept in mind by health professionals treating young girls with atopic conditions...
- Do mental health and behavioural problems of early menarche persist into late adolescence? A three year follow-up study among adolescent girls in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Blindern, 0318 Oslo and Innlandet Hospital Trust, DPS Hamar, Norway
Soc Sci Med 71:529-33. 2010..We therefore conclude that the effects of age of menarche on mental health problems are a transitory problem during puberty...
- Pain complaints as risk factor for mental distress: a three-year follow-up studyLars Lien
Department of Mental Health and Addiction, University of Oslo, Blindern, Norway
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 20:509-16. 2011..Clinicians should therefore take pain complaints among adolescents seriously and be aware of comorbid and later development of mental health problems...
- Mental health problems, negative life events, perceived pressure and the frequency of acute infections among adolescents. Results from a cross-sectional, multicultural, population-based studyLars Lien
Institute for General Practice and Public Health, University of Oslo, Norway
Acta Paediatr 96:301-6. 2007....
- Is breakfast consumption related to mental distress and academic performance in adolescents?Lars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine and Institute of Psychiatry, Frederik Holst Hus University of Oslo, Boks 1072 Blindern, NO 0316 Oslo, Norway
Public Health Nutr 10:422-8. 2007..To examine the relationship between mental distress, academic performance and regular breakfast consumption across gender and immigration status...
- Consumption of soft drinks and hyperactivity, mental distress, and conduct problems among adolescents in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Section for Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Am J Public Health 96:1815-20. 2006..We examined whether high levels of consumption of sugar-containing soft drinks were associated with mental distress, hyperactivity, and conduct problems among adolescents...
- Is relatively young age within a school year a risk factor for mental health problems and poor school performance? A population-based cross-sectional study of adolescents in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo 0318, Norway
BMC Public Health 5:102. 2005....
- The relationship between age of menarche and mental distress in Norwegian adolescent girls and girls from different immigrant groups in Norway: results from an urban city cross-sectional surveyLars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Public Health, University of Oslo, Norway
Soc Sci Med 63:285-95. 2006..The association between age of menarche and mental distress might be mediated via differences in current and desired weight...
- Ethnic Norwegian and ethnic minority adolescents in Oslo, Norway. A longitudinal study comparing changes in mental healthAse Sagatun
Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Eastern and Southern Norway, Nydalen 0405, Oslo, Norway
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:87-95. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare changes in self reported mental health between adolescents with ethnic Norwegian and ethnic minority background aged 15-16 years followed for three years...
- The relation of early experienced negative life events and current itch. A longitudinal study among adolescents in Oslo, NorwayLars Lien
Division mental health and addiction, University of Oslo, Norway
J Psychosom Res 72:226-9. 2012..Itch is a common, disabling skin symptom. The aim was to describe negative life events associated with current itch and to analyze the impact of number of negative life events on symptoms of itch, controlling for possible confounders...
- Suicidal ideation, mental health problems, and social impairment are increased in adolescents with acne: a population-based studyJon A Halvorsen
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Invest Dermatol 131:363-70. 2011..Adverse events including suicidal ideation and depression that have been associated with therapies for acne may reflect the burden of substantial acne rather than the effects of medication...
- Itch, stress and self-efficacy among 18-year-old boys and girls: a Norwegian population-based cross-sectional studyFlorence Dalgard
Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo, Norway
Acta Derm Venereol 92:547-52. 2012..Further clinical research is needed to determine whether improvement in self-efficacy could contribute positively to the management of patients with itch...
- Response rates and selection problems, with emphasis on mental health variables and DNA sampling, in large population-based, cross-sectional and longitudinal studies of adolescents in NorwayEspen Bjertness
Section for Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Box 1130 Blindern, 0318 Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 10:602. 2010....
- Is the association between acne and mental distress influenced by diet? Results from a cross-sectional population study among 3775 late adolescents in Oslo, NorwayJon A Halvorsen
Department of Dermatology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 9:340. 2009..The objective of this study is to investigate the association between acne and mental distress and to explore a possible influence of dietary factors on the relation...
- Bodily pain and associated mental distress among immigrant adolescents. A population-based cross-sectional studyLars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 14:371-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to describe differences among immigrant groups in bodily pain, and analyze its association with mental distress...
- Disability associated with exposure to traumatic events: results from a cross-sectional community survey in South SudanTouraj Ayazi
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, PO box 1171, Oslo 0318, Norway
BMC Public Health 13:469. 2013..We aimed to study the overall and gender-specific prevalence of disability, and the association between exposure to traumatic events and disability in a post-conflict setting...
- Parental divorce in late adolescence does not seem to increase mental health problems: a population study from NorwayHenok Zeratsion
Institute of Health and Society, University of Oslo, Box 1130, Blindern, Oslo 0318, Norway
BMC Public Health 13:413. 2013..Former studies have shown increased mental health problems in adolescents after parental divorce all over the Western world. We wanted to see if that still is the case in Norway today when divorce turns to be more and more common...
- Itch and mental distress: a cross-sectional study among late adolescentsJon Anders Halvorsen
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Acta Derm Venereol 89:39-44. 2009..Mental distress and eczema are the variables in the study that contributes most to the distribution of itch at population level among adolescents in Oslo, Norway...
- Suicidal ideation, mental health problems, and social function in adolescents with eczema: a population-based studyJon A Halvorsen
1 Department of Dermatology, Oslo University Hospital and Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway 2 Institute for Health and Society, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Invest Dermatol 134:1847-54. 2014..21-3.08). Eczema in late adolescence is associated with suicidal ideation and mental health problems but rarely with social problems. Our findings point to the importance of addressing mental health issues in adolescents with eczema. ..
- What are the risk factors for the comorbidity of posttraumatic stress disorder and depression in a war-affected population? A cross-sectional community study in South SudanTouraj Ayazi
Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo 0318, Norway
BMC Psychiatry 12:175. 2012..The present study aimed to evaluate socioeconomic and trauma-related risk factors associated with PTSD, depression, and PTSD-depression comorbidity in the population of Greater Bahr el Ghazal States, South Sudan...
- Ethnic differences in seasonal affective disorder and associated factors among five immigrant groups in NorwayT B Saheer
Institute of Health and Society, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway
J Affect Disord 151:237-42. 2013..The objective of this article was to explore the associated risk and protective factors on prevalence of winter SAD (W-SAD), sub syndromal SAD (S-SAD) and Summer-SAD among five immigrant groups living in Oslo, Norway...
- Community attitudes and social distance towards the mentally ill in South Sudan: a survey from a post-conflict setting with no mental health servicesTouraj Ayazi
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, P O Box 1171, Blindern, 0318, Oslo, Norway
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 49:771-80. 2014..This study investigates attitudes and social distance towards the mentally ill in a post-conflict, low-income country...
- Mental health problems in the 10th grade and non-completion of upper secondary school: the mediating role of grades in a population-based longitudinal studyAse Sagatun
Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Eastern and Southern Norway, Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 14:16. 2014..We also study the impact of health behaviour...
- Association between exposure to traumatic events and anxiety disorders in a post-conflict setting: a cross-sectional community study in South SudanTouraj Ayazi
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, PO box 1171, Blindern, 0318 Oslo, Norway
BMC Psychiatry 14:6. 2014....
- The mental health of internally displaced persons: an epidemiological study of adults in two settlements in Central SudanTarig Taha Mohamed Salah
1Institute of Clinical Medicine, Division of Mental Health and Addiction, University of Oslo, Norway
Int J Soc Psychiatry 59:782-8. 2013..This study aims to assess the prevalence of mental disorders of IDPs in Sudan, and to determine and compare the association between mental disorders and socio-demographic variables between the rural and urban long-term IDP populations...
- The relationship between religious attendance and blood pressure: the HUNT Study, NorwayTorgeir Sørensen
MF Norwegian School of Theology, Oslo, Norway
Int J Psychiatry Med 42:13-28. 2011..The aim was, therefore, to test whether the relationship between RA and BP is specific to the religious culture in the United States or whether a similar relationship exists between RA and BP in a Norwegian context...
- Intrauterine growth restriction - a population-based study of the association with academic performance and psychiatric healthKirsten Kierulf Strømme
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine and Institute for Surgical Research, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Acta Paediatr 103:886-91. 2014..To investigate whether intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR), resulting in small for gestational age (SGA) infants, is associated with increased susceptibility to psychiatric problems and academic impairment in late teens...
- Quality of life and social engagement of alcohol abstainers and users among older adults in South AfricaPriscilla Martinez
Norwegian Center for Addiction Research, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 14:316. 2014....
- What we know and don't know about mental health problems among immigrants in NorwayDawit Shawel Abebe
Norwegian Center for Minority Health Research, NAKMI, Oslo, Norway
J Immigr Minor Health 16:60-7. 2014..The available knowledge indicates a need for preventive interventions. Correspondingly, it strongly recommends a comprehensive research program that addresses gaps and methodological challenges. ..
- Binge eating, purging and non-purging compensatory behaviours decrease from adolescence to adulthood: A population-based, longitudinal studyDawit Shawel Abebe
Norwegian Social Research, Elisenberg, Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 12:32. 2012..This study investigates age trends and gender difference in binge eating, purging and non-purging compensatory behaviours (CB) and the relationship of such behaviours to psychosocial problems...
- A cross-sectional study of vitamin D deficiency among immigrants and Norwegians with psychosis compared to the general populationAkiah Ottesen Berg
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, Oslo University Hospital, Building 49, Kirkeveien 166, N 0407 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1598-604. 2010..This study aimed to determine vitamin D levels among immigrants and Norwegians with psychosis compared to the general population and their association to clinical characteristics...
- Trends in international health developmentLars Lien
Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation NORAD, Oslo, Norway
World Hosp Health Serv 38:31-5. 2002..Commission on Macroeconomics and Health..
- Economic factors influencing the implementation of community care for severely ill schizophrenic patientsLars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Norway
World Hosp Health Serv 41:21-4. 2005..Due to the risk of opportunism, specific assets and bounded rationality contracting involving clinical services should be avoided...
- [Bullying and health complaints in children and adolescents]Audun S Vatn
Institutt for allmenn og samfunnsmedisin Det medisinske fakultet Universitetet i Oslo Postboks 1130 Blindern 0318 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 127:1941-4. 2007
- Financial and organisational reforms in the health sector; implications for the financing and management of mental health care servicesLars Lien
NORAD, Ruseløkkveien 26, P b 8034, Dep, N 0030 Oslo, Norway
Health Policy 63:73-80. 2003..The problems are elaborated and discussed at the level of technically and politically feasibility and the costs involved...
- [Tuberculosis and civil war]Lars Lien
NORAD, Postboks 8034 Dep, 0030 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:3426-8. 2003