Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Oslo
- Low-dose GH improves exercise capacity in adults with GH deficiency: effects of a 22-month placebo-controlled, crossover trialJens Bollerslev
Section of Endocrinology, The National Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 153:379-87. 2005..No changes in QOL were seen, possibly because of a good QOL at baseline...
- Medical observation, compared with parathyroidectomy, for asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: a prospective, randomized trialJens Bollerslev
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, National University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1687-92. 2007..The clinical presentation of primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT) has changed during the last half century, and the diagnosis is now more often made by chance in patients with no specific symptoms...
- Clinical, immunological, and genetic features of autoimmune primary adrenal insufficiency: observations from a Norwegian registryMartina M Erichsen
Department of Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:4882-90. 2009..We aimed to determine the clinical, immunological, and genetic features of a national registry-based cohort...
- Parathyroid hormone, but not vitamin D, is associated with the metabolic syndrome in morbidly obese women and men: a cross-sectional studyJøran Hjelmesaeth
Morbid Obesity Center, Vestfold Hospital Trust, Health Region South, Tønsberg, Norway
Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:7. 2009..We aimed to explore whether MS is associated with abnormal serum levels of PTH, 25(OH)D and magnesium in a population of morbidly obese patients...
- Current evidence for recommendation of surgery, medical treatment and vitamin D repletion in mild primary hyperparathyroidismJens Bollerslev
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 165:851-64. 2011..Combined therapy with calcimimetics and alendronate could be considered for patients with hypercalcaemia and overt bone disease...
- New directions in pharmacological treatment of acromegalyJens Bollerslev
Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Section of Endocrinology, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 18:13-22. 2009..The aim of treatment for acromegaly is to control tumour growth, relieve symptoms and ensure biochemical cure. With specific, well-tolerated medication, long-time primary or preoperative treatment should be discussed...
- Associations between body composition, circulating interleukin-1 receptor antagonist, osteocalcin, and insulin metabolism in active acromegalyThor Ueland
Section of Endocrinology, Research Institute for Internal Medicine, University of Oslo, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:361-8. 2010....
- Determinants of bone mass in end-stage renal failure patients at the time of kidney transplantationSzilveszter Dolgos
Medical Center, Section of Nephrology, Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Clin Transplant 22:462-8. 2008..Our study aimed to identify predictors of bone mass and cumulative fracture rate at the time of renal transplantation (RTx). This is important since the patients experience further substantial bone loss the first month post-transplant...
- Disturbed energy metabolism after lung and heart transplantationLiv Forli
Medical Department, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Clin Transplant 25:E136-43. 2011..After transplantation, a disturbed energy metabolism is indicated, where adiponectin and especially leptin are involved and a disadvantageous body composition is favored with increased body fat and decreased lean mass...
- Gene expression profiling identifies ESRP1 as a potential regulator of epithelial mesenchymal transition in somatotroph adenomas from a large cohort of patients with acromegalyTove Lekva
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, and Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, 0424 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:E1506-14. 2012....
- TXNIP is highly regulated in bone biopsies from patients with endogenous Cushing's syndrome and related to bone turnoverTove Lekva
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo and Oslo University Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 166:1039-48. 2012..The aim of the present study was to investigate the functional role of TXNIP in bone with focus on osteoblast (OB) differentiation and OB-mediated osteoclast activity and function in vitro...
- Assessing body composition in healthy newborn infants: reliability of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometryKristin Godang
Department of Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Densitom 13:151-60. 2010..CLP and CF measurements are appropriate for larger cohorts or when DXA is unavailable, and they provide fair rough estimations of fat mass...
- Early changes in bone mass, biochemical bone markers and fibroblast growth factor 23 after renal transplantationSzilveszter Dolgos
Medical Center, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:161-7. 2009..We investigated early changes in bone mass and the association of these biochemical markers and FGF-23 with bone loss following renal transplantation (RTx)...
- Dietary vitamin K2 supplement improves bone status after lung and heart transplantationLiv Forli
Medical Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Transplantation 89:458-64. 2010..The aim of this randomized, double blind, prospective longitudinal study was to investigate the effect of a dietary supplement with vitamin K2 (180 microg menakinon-7) on bone mass, the first year after lung and heart transplantation...
- Effect of surgery on cardiovascular risk factors in mild primary hyperparathyroidismJens Bollerslev
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, and University of Oslo, 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2255-61. 2009..The extraskeletal effects of PTH, such as insulin resistance, arterial hypertension, and cardiovascular (CV) risk, may however be reversible by operation...
- Fetal growth versus birthweight: the role of placenta versus other determinantsMarie Cecilie Paasche Roland
Department of Obstetrics, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
PLoS ONE 7:e39324. 2012..We aimed to study the effects of maternal characteristics on both birthweight and fetal growth in third trimester and introduce placental weight as a possible determinant of both birthweight and fetal growth in third trimester...
- Adipocytes as a source of increased circulating levels of nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase/visfatin in active acromegalyNicoleta C Olarescu
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Songnsvannsveien 20, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:1355-62. 2012..Nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase (NAMPT)/visfatin is a widely expressed protein with various effects on glucose and lipid metabolism, cell survival, and inflammation...
- Interleukin 1 receptor antagonist is associated with changes in body composition during physiological GH substitution in patients with adult-onset growth hormone deficiencyThor Ueland
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 74:60-6. 2011....
- Positive effects of a physiological dose of GH on markers of atherogenesis: a placebo-controlled study in patients with adult-onset GH deficiencyJens Bollerslev
Section of Endocrinology, The National University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 154:537-43. 2006....
- Intensity of pituitary adenoma on T2-weighted magnetic resonance imaging predicts the response to octreotide treatment in newly diagnosed acromegalyAnsgar Heck
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 77:72-8. 2012....
- Reduced bone mass and increased bone turnover in postmenopausal women with epilepsy using antiepileptic drug monotherapyMerete Alice Lyngstad-Brechan
Department of Neurology, Division for Clinical Neuroscience, Section for Adult Epileptology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 68:759-66. 2008..The aims of this study were to assess the occurrence of osteoporosis and fracture rate in Norwegian postmenopausal women with epilepsy using antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), and to investigate how AEDs may affect bone health...
- The expression of E-cadherin in somatotroph pituitary adenomas is related to tumor size, invasiveness, and somatostatin analog responseStine Lyngvi Fougner
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Rikshospitalet Medical Centre, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2334-42. 2010..In somatotroph adenomas, a variable and reduced expression of E-cadherin has been demonstrated. In addition, nuclear translocation of E-cadherin was found to correlate with pituitary tumor invasion...
- The clinical response to somatostatin analogues in acromegaly correlates to the somatostatin receptor subtype 2a protein expression of the adenomaStine L Fougner
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 68:458-65. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine adenoma SSTR2a protein expression and gsp status in a large group of patients with acromegaly, and relate this to the clinical effect of octreotide...
- Restoration of the coupling process and normalization of bone mass following successful treatment of endogenous Cushing's syndrome: a prospective, long-term studyCybele Kristo
Section of Endocrinology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 154:109-18. 2006..Endogenous Cushing's syndrome (CS) is associated with bone loss and an increased risk of fractures. However, the long-term outcome of treatment on bone health has not been adequately clarified...
- Umbilical cord levels of sclerostin, placental weight, and birth weight are predictors of total bone mineral content in neonatesKristin Godang
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, PO Box 4950 Nydalen, Oslo 0424, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 168:371-8. 2013..We hypothesized that the fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) system and Wnt signaling pathway are important for normal skeletal development in the offspring...
- Reduced levels of E-cadherin correlate with progression of corticotroph pituitary tumoursJohan Arild Evang
Section of Specialised Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 75:811-8. 2011....
- Adenoma granulation pattern correlates with clinical variables and effect of somatostatin analogue treatment in a large series of patients with acromegalyStine Lyngvi Fougner
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 76:96-102. 2012..Gsp oncogenes are activating mutations in the Gsα subunit gene, found in approximately 40% of somatotroph adenomas...
- The glucocorticoid-induced leucine zipper gene (GILZ) expression decreases after successful treatment of patients with endogenous Cushing's syndrome and may play a role in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosisTove Lekva
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:246-55. 2010..Glucocorticoid-induced bone loss is a serious complication in patients with endogenous Cushing's syndrome. However, the mechanism(s) by which excess glucocorticoids influence bone metabolism is not completely understood...
- Increased risk of macrosomia among overweight women with high gestational rise in fasting glucoseNanna Voldner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 23:74-81. 2010..We wanted to explore the effect of BMI and fasting plasma glucose (FPG), fasting plasma insulin (FPI) and insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) on the risk of newborn macrosomia...
- Bone metabolism and growth hormone deficiency. Experimental and clinical aspectsThor Ueland
Section of Endocrinology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Front Horm Res 33:146-60. 2005
- Shape information from glucose curves: functional data analysis compared with traditional summary measuresKathrine Frey Frøslie
Department of Biostatistics, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:6. 2013..abstract:..
- Prognostic value of osteoprotegerin in heart failure after acute myocardial infarctionThor Ueland
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, National University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1970-6. 2004..We sought to determine the relationship between osteoprotegerin (OPG) and clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure (HF) after acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- HDAC2 expression and variable number of repeats in exon 1 of the HDAC2 gene in corticotroph adenomasJ Arild Evang
Section of Specialized Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 73:229-35. 2010..This study aimed to examine HDAC2 expression in a Norwegian cohort of corticotroph adenomas, screen for exonic HDAC2 gene variants in the adenomas and correlate the results with clinical data...
- Osteoporosis is a prevalent finding in patients with solid organ failure awaiting transplantation - a population based studySzilveszter Dolgos
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Clin Transplant 24:E145-52. 2010..General practitioners and specialists who care for these patients before they are referred for transplantation should consider measures to prevent osteoporosis at an earlier stage...
- Intra-operative MRI facilitates tumour resection during trans-sphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenomasJon Ramm-Pettersen
Department of Neurosurgery, Oslo University Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 153:1367-73. 2011..In this prospective study, we investigated whether intra-operative magnetic resonance imaging (iMRI) can facilitate tumour resection...
- A cohort study of the effects of serum osteoprotegerin and osteoprotegerin gene polymorphisms on cardiovascular mortality in elderly womenThor Ueland
Section of Endocrinology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 71:828-33. 2009..To investigate the role of serum osteoprotegerin (OPG) and OPG gene polymorphisms in relation to cardiovascular (CV) and all-cause mortality in elderly women...
- KIT protein expression and mutational status of KIT gene in pituitary adenomasOlivera Casar-Borota
Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Virchows Arch 460:171-81. 2012..Our results may suggest a role of KIT in the pathogenesis of a subset of pituitary adenomas and point out the need for further research to find out if KIT-reactive adenomas could be sensitive to Imatinib Mesylate...
- Normal overall mortality rate in Addison's disease, but young patients are at risk of premature deathMartina M Erichsen
Section for Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 160:233-7. 2009..Primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease) is a rare autoimmune disease. Until recently, life expectancy in Addison's disease patients was considered normal...
- The relation of psychological distress to salivary and serum cortisol levels in pregnant women shortly after the diagnosis of a structural fetal anomalyAnne Kaasen
Department of Obstetrics, University of Oslo, Oslo Specialized Endocrinology, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 91:68-78. 2012..DESIGN. A prospective, observational study. ..
- Hormonal alterations in adolescent chronic fatigue syndromeVegard Bruun Wyller
Division of Paediatrics, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Acta Paediatr 99:770-3. 2010..This study explored differences among adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome patients and healthy controls regarding antidiuretic hormone, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone-system, sex hormones and cardiac peptides...
- Serum levels of TGF-beta and fibronectin in autosomal dominant osteopetrosis in relation to underlying mutations and well-described murine counterpartsJens Bollerslev
Department of Endocrinology, National University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 13:163-71. 2003..Biochemical differences among known syndromes related to mutations in the LRP5 gene indicate different underlying pathogenetic mechanisms...
- Early posttransplant serum osteoprotegerin levels predict long-term (8-year) patient survival and cardiovascular death in renal transplant patientsJøran Hjelmesaeth
Department of Medicine, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1746-54. 2006..Early measured posttransplantation serum OPG is a highly significant independent predictor of death from any cause or CV death in white renal transplant recipients...
- Age-related changes in cortical bone content of insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP)-3, IGFBP-5, osteoprotegerin, and calcium in postmenopausal osteoporosis: a cross-sectional studyThor Ueland
Department of Endocrinology, and Research Institute for Internal Medicine National, University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1014-8. 2003..As for OPG, our findings probably represent compensatory responses to increased osteoclastic resorption...
- Modifiable determinants of fetal macrosomia: role of lifestyle-related factorsNanna Voldner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet Medical Centre, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:423-9. 2008....
- Low levels of raf kinase inhibitory protein in growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenomas correlate with poor response to octreotide treatmentStine Lyngvi Fougner
Research Institute for Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, University of Oslo, Oslo N 0027, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1211-6. 2008..Objective: Our objective was to study RKIP levels in pituitary somatotroph adenomas, and relate them to clinical characteristics and response to octreotide treatment in patients with acromegaly...
- Raised serum levels of interleukin-8 and interleukin-18 in relation to bone metabolism in endogenous Cushing's syndromeCybele Kristo
Section of Endocrinology, Medical Department, National University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 146:389-95. 2002....
- Preoperative octreotide treatment in newly diagnosed acromegalic patients with macroadenomas increases cure short-term postoperative rates: a prospective, randomized trialSven M Carlsen
Department of Endocrinology, St Olavs Hospital, University Hospital of Trondheim, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2984-90. 2008..Surgery is the primary treatment of acromegaly. However, it often fails to cure the patient. New strategies that improve surgical outcome are needed...
- Physical activity and calcium consumption are important determinants of lower limb bone mass in older womenAmanda Devine
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 19:1634-9. 2004..1% higher hip BMD than those who did not, supporting the concept that lifestyle factors play an important role in the maintenance of lower extremity bone mass in older women...
- Patients with high bone mass phenotype exhibit enhanced osteoblast differentiation and inhibition of adipogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cellsWeimin Qiu
Laboratory for Molecular Endocrinology KMEB, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University Hospital of Odense, Odense C, Denmark
J Bone Miner Res 22:1720-31. 2007..Our in vivo and in vitro results show that activated mutation T253I of LRP5 enhances osteogenesis and inhibits adipogenesis. Inactivating mutation T244M of LRP5 exerts opposite effects...
- [Hormonally inactive pituitary adenomas]Morten Lund-Johansen
Nevrokirurgisk avdeling, Haukeland Universitetssykehus, Bergen
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 123:2253-6. 2003..Fractionated single beam irradiation or stereotactic radiosurgery is indicated in cases where there is a residual of growing tumours that may not be removed surgically...
- Six novel missense mutations in the LDL receptor-related protein 5 (LRP5) gene in different conditions with an increased bone densityLiesbeth Van Wesenbeeck
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Hum Genet 72:763-71. 2003..Functional analysis of the effects of the various mutations will be of interest, to evaluate whether all the mutations give rise to the same pathogenic mechanism...
- [Hyperprolactinemia and prolactinemia--investigation and treatment]Johan Svartberg
Endokrinologisk seksjon Medisinsk avdeling Universitetssykehuset i Nord Norge 9038 Tromsø
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 122:494-8. 2002..In cases of macroprolactinomas, symptoms caused by local mass effects can be seen. A variety of other conditions may also cause hyperprolactinaemia; the goal of the examination is to identify the cause...
- Acidification of the osteoclastic resorption compartment provides insight into the coupling of bone formation to bone resorptionMorten A Karsdal
Nordic Bioscience A S, Herlev Hovedgade 207, DK 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Am J Pathol 166:467-76. 2005..Thus, we suggest that acidification is essential for normal bone remodeling and that attenuated acidification leads to uncoupling with decreased bone resorption and unaffected bone formation...