Johan Emil Lange
Affiliation: Rikshospitalet University Hospital
- Comorbidity influenced health-related quality of life of 390 patients with idiopathic scoliosis at long-term follow-upJ I Brox
Orthopedic Department, Rikshospitalet Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 50:73-81. 2014..Clinical Rehabilitation Impact: Comorbidity should be considered when interpreting scores of health-related quality of life in patients with idiopathic scoliosis. ..
- Good brace compliance reduced curve progression and surgical rates in patients with idiopathic scoliosisJens Ivar Brox
Section for Back Surgery, Orthopaedic Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, Sognsvannsveien, Oslo, Norway
Eur Spine J 21:1957-63. 2012..To examine the association between brace compliance and outcome...
- Long-term results after Boston brace treatment in adolescent idiopathic scoliosisJohan Emil Lange
Orthopaedic Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, Norway
Scoliosis 4:17. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the long-term outcome in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) 12 years or more after treatment with the Boston brace...
- 7th SOSORT consensus paper: conservative treatment of idiopathic & Scheuermann's kyphosisJc de Mauroy
Clinique du Parc, 155 bd Stalingrad, 69006 Lyon, France
Scoliosis 5:9. 2010....
- Protocol for the Cognitive Interventions and Nutritional Supplements (CINS) trial: a randomized controlled multicenter trial of a brief intervention (BI) versus a BI plus cognitive behavioral treatment (CBT) versus nutritional supplements for patients witSilje E Reme
Uni Health, Uni Research, Bergen, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:152. 2011..The European Guidelines for treatment of chronic low back pain recommends Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), but conclude that further research is needed to evaluate the effectiveness of CBT for chronic low back pain...
- Agreement, reliability and validity in 3 shoulder questionnaires in patients with rotator cuff diseaseOle M Ekeberg
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:68. 2008....
- Efficacy of labral repair, biceps tenodesis, and diagnostic arthroscopy for SLAP lesions of the shoulder: a randomised controlled trialOystein Skare
Lovisenberg Deakonal Hospital, Lovisenberggaten 17, 0440 Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:228. 2010....
- Predictors of shoulder pain and disability index (SPADI) and work status after 1 year in patients with subacromial shoulder painKaia Engebretsen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevaal, and Medical Faculty, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:218. 2010..The objectives were to identify predictors for pain and disability (SPADI) and work status in patients with subacromial shoulder pain...
- Evidence-informed management of chronic low back pain with back schools, brief education, and fear-avoidance trainingJens Ivar Brox
Orthopedic Department, Rikshospitalet University, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Spine J 8:28-39. 2008..It is hoped that articles in this special focus issue will be informative and aid in decision making for the many stakeholders evaluating nonsurgical interventions for CLBP...
- Lumbar instrumented fusion compared with cognitive intervention and exercises in patients with chronic back pain after previous surgery for disc herniation: a prospective randomized controlled studyJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopedics and Physiotherapy, Rikshospitalet University Hospital and Medical Faculty University in Oslo, Norway
Pain 122:145-55. 2006..For patients with chronic low back pain after previous surgery for disc herniation, lumbar fusion failed to show any benefit over cognitive intervention and exercises...
- The contribution of RCTs to quality management and their feasibility in practiceJens Ivar Brox
Section for Back Surgery and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Orthopaedic Department, Rikshospitalet Medical Centre, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet, Sognsvannsveien, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Eur Spine J 18:279-93. 2009..RCTs provide evidence to support clinical opinions before implementation of new techniques, but the individual clinical experience is still important for the doctor who has to face the patient...
- Systematic review of back schools, brief education, and fear-avoidance training for chronic low back painJ I Brox
Orthopedic Department, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical University Center, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Spine J 8:948-58. 2008..Seven previous systematic reviews (SRs) have evaluated back schools, and one has evaluated brief education, with the latest SR including studies until November 2004. The effectiveness of fear-avoidance training has not been assessed...
- Four-year follow-up of surgical versus non-surgical therapy for chronic low back painJens Ivar Brox
Orthopaedic Department, Oslo University Hospital Rikshospitalet, Sognsvannsveien, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1643-8. 2010..To compare the long-term effectiveness of surgical and non-surgical treatment in patients with chronic low back pain...
- Functional outcome after lumbar closing wedge osteotomy in ankylosing spondylitisJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopedics, Rikshospitalet University Hospital and Medical Faculty, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Int Orthop 33:1049-53. 2009..EuroQol improved from 0.42 to 0.69 (p = 0.002) and occiput-to-wall distance from 26 to 18 cm (p = 0.005). Functional outcome was improved after lumbar closing wedge osteotomy in ankylosing spondylitis...
- Health-related quality of life and sickness absence in community nursing home employees: randomized controlled trial of physical exerciseJ I Brox
Section for Back Surgery and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Orthopaedic Department, National Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Occup Med (Lond) 55:558-63. 2005..It is a common belief that physical exercise at the workplace decreases subjective health complaints and reduces sickness absence, but this is not supported by previous randomized studies...
- Disability, pain, psychological factors and physical performance in healthy controls, patients with sub-acute and chronic low back pain: a case-control studyJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Section for Back Surgery and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, National Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Rehabil Med 37:95-9. 2005..To evaluate the concept of the deconditioning syndrome and to explore factors that may contribute to chronicity...
- Regional musculoskeletal conditions: shoulder painJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopaedics, Section for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, National Hospital, Oslo N 0027, Norway
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 17:33-56. 2003..One randomized study suggests that a proper physiotherapy regimen and surgery are equally effective for the impingement syndrome. Further research should address the cost-effectiveness of diagnostic methods and treatments...
- Satisfactory long-term results after Eden-Hybbinette-Alvik operation for recurrent anterior dislocation of the shoulder: 6-20 years' follow-up of 52 patientsJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopedics, National Hospital, NO 0570 Oslo, Norway
Acta Orthop Scand 74:180-5. 2003..Mild and moderate arthrosis were found in 24/45 on the operated side and 9/45 on the uninvolved side. None (0/21) of the patients without arthrosis and 5/24 of those with arthrosis in the operated shoulder reported mild or moderate pain...
- Radiographic classification of glenohumeral arthrosisJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopedics, National Hospital, NO 0027 Oslo, Norway
Acta Orthop Scand 74:186-9. 2003..None of the patients without arthrosis, but one fifth of those with arthrosis reported pain. The Samilson-Prieto classification is preferable because it is simple to use and has excellent interobserver agreement...
- [Non-traumatic shoulder pain]Jens Ivar Brox
Ortopedisk avdeling, Oslo universitetssykehus, Rikshospitalet, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 130:2132-5. 2010..Shoulder pain (usually non-traumatic) is the third most common cause of consultations for musculoskeletal pain in primary health care. This article discusses challenges within diagnostics and treatment of non-traumatic shoulder pain...
- Randomized clinical trial of lumbar instrumented fusion and cognitive intervention and exercises in patients with chronic low back pain and disc degenerationJens Ivar Brox
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, National Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1913-21. 2003..Single blind randomized study...
- The effect of comprehensive group training on cross-sectional area, density, and strength of paraspinal muscles in patients sick-listed for subacute low back painKjersti Storheim
Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, and dagger National Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Spinal Disord Tech 16:271-9. 2003..Back extension strength increased in patients in the exercise group, but the improvement was not significant compared with control group patients. In conclusion, there was a tendency for reversal of muscle atrophy after exercise...
- Reliability of the isokinetic trunk extensor test, Biering-Sørensen test, and Astrand bicycle test: assessment of intraclass correlation coefficient and critical difference in patients with chronic low back pain and healthy individualsA Keller
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University Hospital Ullevaal, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:771-7. 2001..A reliability study was performed...
- Idiopathic scoliosis treated with Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation: evaluation 10 years after surgeryIngjald Bjerkreim
Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Orthopaedic Department, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2103-10. 2007..Prospective cohort study with 10-year follow-up...
- Fear-avoidance beliefs and distress in relation to disability in acute and chronic low back painMargreth Grotle
Section for Health Science, University of Oslo, P O Box 1153 Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
Pain 112:343-52. 2004..The results replicate previous reports on the association between pain experience, fear-avoidance beliefs, distress, and disability in chronic LBP, and extend the findings to patients at an early stage of acute LBP...
- Predictors of change in trunk muscle strength for patients with chronic low back pain randomized to lumbar fusion or cognitive intervention and exercisesAnne Keller
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Pain Med 9:680-7. 2008....
- Concurrent comparison of responsiveness in pain and functional status measurements used for patients with low back painMargreth Grotle
Section for Health Science, University of Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E492-501. 2004..Prospective study of two samples of patients with acute and chronic low back pain, respectively...
- Prognostic factors in first-time care seekers due to acute low back painMargreth Grotle
National Resource Center for Rehabilitation in Rheumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Pain 11:290-8. 2007..4 (95% confidence interval 1.1-17.4) and 3.3 (1.1-10.2), respectively...
- Cross-cultural adaptation of the Norwegian versions of the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire and the Oswestry Disability IndexM Grotle
Section for Health Science, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Rehabil Med 35:241-7. 2003..To evaluate reliability and construct validity of the Norwegian versions of the Roland Morris Disability Questionnaire and the modified Oswestry Disability Index...
- Minimal influence of facet joint anesthesia on isokinetic muscle performance in patients with chronic degenerative low back disordersI Holm
Biomechanics Laboratory and Departments of Physiotherapy and Radiology, National Hospital Orthopaedic Department, University of Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2091-4. 2000..Experimental design...
- Intensive group training versus cognitive intervention in sub-acute low back pain: short-term results of a single-blind randomized controlled trialKjersti Storheim
Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, Oslo, Norway
J Rehabil Med 35:132-40. 2003..To evaluate the short-term effect of physical exercise and a cognitive intervention in low back pain...
- Effects of high-dose corticosteroids on post-traumatic inflammatory mediatorsOlav Reikeras
Department of Orthopaedics, Rikshospitalet University Clinic, University of Oslo, Norway
Inflamm Res 58:891-7. 2009..It was our hypothesis that corticosteroids would reduce the post-operative levels of inflammatory mediators in patients with ankylosing spondylitis, and we performed a single-centre randomised controlled trial...
- Repeatability, reliability, and concurrent validity of the scoliosis research society-22 questionnaire and EuroQol in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosisRaphael D Adobor
Section for Spine Surgery, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:206-9. 2010..Cross-sectional study in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS)...
- Measuring self-reported functional status and pain in patients with chronic low back pain by postal questionnaires: a reliability studyInger Holm
Biomechanics Laboratory, Department of Physiotherapy, National Hospital Orthopaedic Department, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:828-33. 2003..A reliability study was performed...
- Predictors of isokinetic back muscle strength in patients with low back painA Keller
Department of Physical Medicine, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:275-80. 1999..CONCLUSION: For assessing the results of an isokinetic trunk muscle strength test, cross-sectional muscle area, gender, and pain on exertion should be taken into account...
- Screening for yellow flags in first-time acute low back pain: reliability and validity of a Norwegian version of the Acute Low Back Pain Screening QuestionnaireMargreth Grotle
National Resource Center for Rehabilitation in Rheumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Clin J Pain 22:458-67. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the reliability and construct and predictive validity of the Norwegian version of the Acute Low Back Pain Screening Questionnnaire (ALBPSQ)...
- Treatment of labral tears with associated spinoglenoid cysts without cyst decompressionCecilie P Schroder
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lovisenberg Deaconal Hospital, Lovisenberggt 17, 0440 Oslo, Norway
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:523-30. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to prospectively assess whether labral repair alone would lead to cyst resolution and pain relief...
- Long-term results after Boston brace treatment in late-onset juvenile and adolescent idiopathic scoliosisJohan Emil Lange
Orthopaedic and Radiological Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo University Hospital, Norway
Scoliosis 6:18. 2011..abstract:..
- [Low back pain--still a clinical challenge]Even Laerum
Formidlingsenheten for muskelog og skjelettlidelser FORMI, Avdeling for forskning og utvikling, Klinikk for kirurgi og nevrofag, Oslo universitetssykehus, Ulleval, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 130:2248-51. 2010..The aim of this article is to present the evidence-based recommendations in the Norwegian clinical guidelines and to discuss new knowledge...
- The epidemiology of shoulder dislocations in OsloS Liavaag
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sørlandet Hospital, Arendal, Norway
Scand J Med Sci Sports 21:e334-40. 2011..The incidence of primary dislocations was also higher than that in previously reported studies for the general population but it was close to the incidence reported in Malmø, Sweden...
- Systemic and local cytokine kinetics in musculoskeletal injury: a prospective study in patients with ankylosing spondylitisO Reikeras
Department of Orthopedics, Rikshospitalet University Clinic, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:198-203. 2009....
- The reliability of selected motion- and pain provocation tests for the sacroiliac jointHilde Stendal Robinson
Section for Health Science, University of Oslo, P O Box 1153, Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
Man Ther 12:72-9. 2007..Clusters out of three and five pain provocation tests were found to be reliable. The cluster of tests should now be validated for assessment of diagnostic power...
- Do Bankart lesions heal better in shoulders immobilized in external rotation?Sigurd Liavaag
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Sørlandet Hospital, Arendal, Norway
Acta Orthop 80:579-84. 2009..We compared the position of the labrum in patients treated with immobilization in ER or internal rotation (IR). A secondary aim was to evaluate the rate of Bankart lesions...
- Physical and mental health in young adults operated on for idiopathic scoliosisThomas Kibsgård
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Orthopaedic Department, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet University Clinic, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
J Orthop Sci 9:360-3. 2004..Thus, the surgical procedure was well tolerated and had not traumatized the patient...