J E Brown
Affiliation: Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority
- Estimation of ionizing radiation impact on natural Vicia cracca populations inhabiting areas contaminated with uranium mill tailings and radium production wastesT Evseeva
Institute of Biology, Komi Scientific Center, Ural Division RAS, Kommunisticheskaya 28, 167982 Syktyvkar, Russia
Sci Total Environ 407:5335-43. 2009..2 Gy (weighting factor for alpha particles=5) during the vegetation period could be considered to be a level below which no increase in genetic variability and decrease in reproductive capacity might be observed above background...
- Approaches to providing missing transfer parameter values in the ERICA Tool--how well do they work?J E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Department of Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Radioactivity, Grini Næringspark 13, Postbox 55, NO 1332 Østerås, Norway Electronic address
J Environ Radioact 126:399-411. 2013..Finally, by synthesizing the results from the current analyses and through other considerations, some recommendations are provided with regards to modifying the original guidance on use of extrapolation approaches in the ERICA Tool. ..
- Temporal trends for 99Tc in Norwegian coastal environments and spatial distribution in the Barents SeaJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Osteras
J Environ Radioact 60:49-60. 2002..Levels of 99Tc in the Barents Sea ranged from 0.2 Bq m(-3) to 1.1 Bq m(-3) showing the influence of new 99Tc inputs by early 1999...
- Radioactive contamination in the marine environment adjacent to the outfall of the radioactive waste treatment plant at ATOMFLOT, northern RussiaJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Oesteraas
J Environ Radioact 61:111-31. 2002..Correlations of radionuclide activity concentrations with grain-size appear to be absent; instead, the presence of relatively contaminated sediment appears to be related to the existence of radioactive particles...
- The ERICA ToolJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Department of Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Radioactivity, Grini Naeringspark 13, Postbox 55, NO 1332 Østerås, Norway
J Environ Radioact 99:1371-83. 2008..Results from the Tool can be put into context using incorporated data on dose-effects relationships and background dose rates...
- Levels and transfer of 210Po and 210Pb in Nordic terrestrial ecosystemsJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, PO Box 55, N 1332, Østerås, Norway
J Environ Radioact 102:430-7. 2011..Biokinetic models may provide a tool to explore in a more mechanistic way the behaviour of (210)Po in this system...
- Transfer of radionuclides in aquatic ecosystems--default concentration ratios for aquatic biota in the Erica ToolA Hosseini
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Department of Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Radioactivity, Grini Naeringspark 13, P O Box 55, NO 1332 Østerås, Norway
J Environ Radioact 99:1408-29. 2008..In both types of aquatic systems, 70-80% of the data gaps have been filled by employing "preferable" approaches such as those based on substituting values from taxonomically similar organisms or biogeochemically similar elements...
- Vertical distribution of anthropogenic radionuclides in cores from contaminated floodplains of the Yenisey RiverW J F Standring
Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Radioactivity, Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, N 1332 Østerås, Norway
J Environ Radioact 100:1109-20. 2009....
- Background dose-rates to reference animals and plants arising from exposure to naturally occurring radionuclides in aquatic environmentsA Hosseini
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Norway
J Radiol Prot 30:235-64. 2010..The mean unweighted and weighted dose-rates for aquatic RAPs are in the ranges 0.07-0.39 microGy h(-1) and 0.37-1.9 microGy h(-1) respectively...
- Development of a methodology for assessing the environmental impact of radioactivity in Northern Marine environmentsJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Grini Naeringspark 13, N 1332, Østerås, Norway
Mar Pollut Bull 52:1127-37. 2006..The calculated dose-rates can be contextualised through comparison with dose-rates arising from natural background and chronic dose-rates at which biological effects have been observed in selected "umbrella" endpoints...
- Radionuclide contamination of sediment deposits in the Ob and Yenisey estuaries and areas of the Kara SeaW J F Standring
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Grini Naeringspark 13, P O Box 55, N 1332 Østerås, Norway
J Environ Radioact 99:665-79. 2008..However, the aggregate contamination from different sources is not radioecologically significant in sediments within the study area, maximum Cs-137 levels being approximately 80 Bq kg(-1) dry weight...
- The derivation of radionuclide transfer parameters for and dose-rates to an adult ringed seal (Phoca hispida) in an Arctic environmentJ P Gwynn
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Environmental Radioactivity, Polar Environmental Centre, NO 9296 Tromsø, Norway
J Environ Radioact 90:197-209. 2006..The dose-rates associated with the presence of anthropogenically derived radionuclides in the present assessment fall many orders of magnitude below the dose-rates at which any biological effects would be expected...
- Application of the Bayesian approach for derivation of PDFs for concentration ratio valuesA Hosseini
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, Department for Emergency Preparedness and Environmental Radioactivity, Grini Næringspark 13, Post Box 55, NO 1332 Østerås, Norway Electronic address
J Environ Radioact 126:376-87. 2013..wildlifetransferdatabase.org/) as a working example, attempts are made to refine the pooling approaches previously used and to consider situations when empirical data are limited. ..
- Radiation doses to aquatic organisms from natural radionuclidesJ E Brown
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, 1332 Osterås, Norway
J Radiol Prot 24:A63-77. 2004..This work has revealed a number of substantial gaps in published empirical data especially for European aquatic environments...
- Patterns and inventories of radioactive contamination of island sites of the Yenisey River, RussiaV G Linnik
Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Kosygin Street 19, 117975 Moscow, Russia
J Environ Radioact 87:188-208. 2006..Estimated (137)Cs inventories were 145, 148 and 16GBq for Beriozovy, Mikhin and Cheriomukhov Islands, respectively...
- Radioactive contamination of the Balchug (Upper Yenisey) floodplain, Russia in relation to sedimentation processes and geomorphologyV G Linnik
Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Kosygin Street 19, 117975, Moscow, Russia
Sci Total Environ 339:233-51. 2005..Lithological analysis combined with radiometric assay indicates a total 137Cs floodplain inventory of 33.7 GBq...
- A 'weighted' 137Cs inventory calculation of Reservoir 11, Mayak P.A., Russia with the novel use of remotely sensed information and sample data in a GISA M Borghuis
Sci Total Environ 291:155-65. 2002..The resulting inventory estimate for Reservoir 11, is a factor 4-10 lower than earlier calculations. Analysis of the uncertainty in the calculations has been carried out and provides support for the integrity of the new method...
- The use of bone markers in a 6-week study to assess the efficacy of oral clodronate in patients with metastatic bone diseaseJ E Brown
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, Weston Park Hospital University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2SJ, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 81:341-51. 2007..It has confirmed that the 1,600 mg dose is safe and effective for breast cancer patients but may be suboptimal for the other tumors studied...
- Soil-dependent uptake of 137Cs by mushrooms: experimental study in the Chernobyl accident areasM V Kaduka
Research Institute of Radiation Hygiene, St Petersburg, Russia
J Environ Radioact 89:199-211. 2006....
- Advances in dental imagingJ E Brown
Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London
Prim Dent Care 8:59-62. 2001....