Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Institute of Medicine
- Variants in doublecortin- and calmodulin kinase like 1, a gene up-regulated by BDNF, are associated with memory and general cognitive abilitiesStephanie Le Hellard
Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
PLoS ONE 4:e7534. 2009..Human memory and general cognitive abilities are complex functions of high heritability and wide variability in the population. The brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) plays an important role in mammalian memory formation...
- Unawareness of olfactory dysfunction and its association with cognitive functioning in middle aged and old adultsEike Wehling
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, Norway
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 26:260-9. 2011....
- A genetic deconstruction of neurocognitive traits in schizophrenia and bipolar disorderCarla P D Fernandes
K G Jebsen Centre for Psychosis Research and the Norwegian Centre for Mental Disorders Research NORMENT, Department of Clinical Science, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway Dr Einar Martens Research Group for Biological Psychiatry, Center for Medical Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
PLoS ONE 8:e81052. 2013..Cognitive traits have been proposed as useful for understanding the biological and genetic mechanisms implicated in cognitive function in healthy individuals and in the dysfunction observed in psychiatric disorders...
- Neuropsychological performance in older insomniacsBørge Sivertsen
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Bergen, Norway
Neuropsychol Dev Cogn B Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 20:34-48. 2013..We conclude that DSM-IV defined insomnia was not associated with any performance based measure; only with self-reported symptoms...
- Episodic memory of APOE ε4 carriers is correlated with fractional anisotropy, but not cortical thickness, in the medial temporal lobeErling Tjelta Westlye
Neuroinformatics and Image Analysis Laboratory, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, NO 5020 Bergen, Norway
Neuroimage 63:507-16. 2012..Thus, increased susceptibility of the WM structures underpinning the entorhinal-hippocampal network, offers a plausible explanation for the earlier onset of cognitive decline previously reported in APOE ε4 carriers...
- Familiarity, cued and free odor identification and their association with cognitive functioning in middle aged and older adultsEike Ines Wehling
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Neuropsychol Dev Cogn B Aging Neuropsychol Cogn 17:205-19. 2010..The results suggest that the different olfactory tasks involve different levels of cognitive processing...
- General fluid-type intelligence is related to indices of white matter structure in middle-aged and old adultsJudit Haász
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, 5009 Bergen, Norway Neuroinformatics and Image Analysis Laboratory, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, 5009 Bergen, Norway Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, 5020 Bergen, Norway Electronic address
Neuroimage 83:372-83. 2013..Thus, although all subcomponents loaded high on gF factor, the speed-related components were most strongly associated with DT-MRI-derived measures. These results suggest that DT-MRI can be used to parse gF...
- Gene-based analysis of regionally enriched cortical genes in GWAS data sets of cognitive traits and psychiatric disordersKari M Ersland
Dr E Martens Research Group for Biological Psychiatry, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
PLoS ONE 7:e31687. 2012..In addition, we explored GWAS data sets for the serious psychiatric disorders schizophrenia (SCZ) (n = 3 samples) and bipolar affective disorder (BP) (n = 3 samples), to which cognitive impairment is linked...
- Cortical gray matter atrophy in healthy aging cannot be explained by undetected incipient cognitive disorders: a comment on Burgmans et al. (2009)Anders M Fjell
Department of Psychology, University of Oslo, Norway, P B 1094 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway
Neuropsychology 24:258-63; discussion 264-266. 2010..Longitudinally, 1-year atrophy was identified in all tested regions. It is likely that cortical brain atrophy is manifested in cognitively normal elderly without subclinical cognitive disorders...
- Hippocampal volumes are important predictors for memory function in elderly womenMartin A Ystad
Department of Biomedicine, Neuroinformatics and Image Analysis Laboratory, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, 5009 Bergen, Norway
BMC Med Imaging 9:17. 2009..In the present study we utilize 3D MR imaging, genetic analysis and assessment of verbal memory function to investigate relationships between these factors in a sample of 170 healthy volunteers (age range 46-77 years)...