Peder A Halvorsen
- Influenza pandemic: perception of risk and individual precautions in a general population. Cross sectional studyIvar S Kristiansen
Institute of Health Management and Health Economics, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 7:48. 2007..An influenza pandemic may have considerable impact on health and societal functioning. The aim of this study was to explore people's reflections on the consequences of a pandemic...
- Medical doctors' perception of the "number needed to treat" (NNT). A survey of doctors' recommendations for two therapies with different NNTPeder Andreas Halvorsen
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Prim Health Care 21:162-6. 2003..The aim of our study was to explore the influence of the NNT on medical doctors' recommendation for or against a life-long preventive drug therapy...
- Decisions on drug therapies by numbers needed to treat: a randomized trialPeder Andreas Halvorsen
The Research Unit of General Practice, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense
Arch Intern Med 165:1140-6. 2005..The number needed to treat (NNT) has been promoted as the preferred effect measure when patients and physicians share decision making. Our aim was to explore the impact of the NNT on laypeople's decisions about preventive drug therapies...
- Different ways to describe the benefits of risk-reducing treatments: a randomized trialPeder A Halvorsen
University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Ann Intern Med 146:848-56. 2007..Previous studies suggest that the magnitude of the NNT does not affect a layperson's decision about risk-reducing interventions, but postponement of an adverse event does affect such decisions...
- Continuity of GP care is related to reduced specialist healthcare use: a cross-sectional surveyAnne Helen Hansen
National Centre for Integrated Care and Telemedicine, University Hospital of Northern Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Br J Gen Pract 63:482-9. 2013..Continuity of GP care is associated with reduced hospitalisations, but solid documentation of its relationship to use of outpatient specialist services is lacking...
- Should chest examination be reinstated in the early diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?Katja Oshaug
General Practice Research Unit, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 8:369-77. 2013..Although proven to be associated with bronchial obstruction, chest signs are not listed among cues that should prompt spirometry in the early diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in established guidelines...
- Symptoms of respiratory tract infection and associated care-seeking in subjects with and without obstructive lung disease; the Tromsø Study: Tromsø 6Hasse Melbye
General Practice Research Unit, Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Health Science, University of Tromsø, MH Building, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
BMC Pulm Med 12:51. 2012..The aim of the study was to describe the frequency of RTI symptoms in a general adult population and how care-seeking is associated with the presence of obstructive lung disease...
- Socio-economic inequalities in health care utilisation in Norway: a population based cross-sectional surveyAnne Helen Hansen
National Centre for Integrated Care and Telemedicine, University Hospital of Northern Norway, PO Box 35, 9038, Tromsø, Norway
BMC Health Serv Res 12:336. 2012..Evidence on inequalities in health care utilisation is sparse, and the aim of this population based study was to investigate socio-economic inequalities in the utilisation of health care services in Tromsø, Norway...
- Therapeutic decisions by number needed to treat and survival gains: a cross-sectional survey of lipid-lowering drug recommendationsPeder A Halvorsen
National Centre of Rural Medicine, Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Br J Gen Pract 61:e477-83. 2011..Previous studies suggest that lay people have difficulties with evaluating effect size in terms of number needed to treat (NNT), but they are sensitive to effect size in terms of survival gains...
- Willingness-to-pay for a statistical life in the times of a pandemicDorte Gyrd-Hansen
Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Health Econ 17:55-66. 2008..The results suggest that fear and anxiety distort decision making under uncertainty and decrease focus on the perceived risk reduction...
- Anticipated longevity among lay people screened for cardiovascular risk factors: a cross-sectional questionnaire studyPeder A Halvorsen
Research Unit for General Practice, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Scand J Public Health 38:481-8. 2010..Such information may still have an impact of a more subtle nature. We aimed to explore the potential impact of cardiovascular risk information on lay people's anticipations of their own longevity...
- Critiques of the risk concept--valid or not?Jørgen Nexøe
Research Unit of General Practice, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark
Scand J Public Health 35:648-54. 2007..It is concluded that risk critique should be based on sound theory and empirical data. Critics may do well in making clear distinctions between facts and value judgements...