Peder A Halvorsen
- Influenza pandemic: perception of risk and individual precautions in a general population. Cross sectional studyIvar S Kristiansen
Institute of Health Management and Health Economics, University of Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 7:48. 2007..An influenza pandemic may have considerable impact on health and societal functioning. The aim of this study was to explore people's reflections on the consequences of a pandemic...
- Medical doctors' perception of the "number needed to treat" (NNT). A survey of doctors' recommendations for two therapies with different NNTPeder Andreas Halvorsen
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Prim Health Care 21:162-6. 2003..The aim of our study was to explore the influence of the NNT on medical doctors' recommendation for or against a life-long preventive drug therapy...
- Decisions on drug therapies by numbers needed to treat: a randomized trialPeder Andreas Halvorsen
The Research Unit of General Practice, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense
Arch Intern Med 165:1140-6. 2005..The number needed to treat (NNT) has been promoted as the preferred effect measure when patients and physicians share decision making. Our aim was to explore the impact of the NNT on laypeople's decisions about preventive drug therapies...
- Different ways to describe the benefits of risk-reducing treatments: a randomized trialPeder A Halvorsen
University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Ann Intern Med 146:848-56. 2007..Previous studies suggest that the magnitude of the NNT does not affect a layperson's decision about risk-reducing interventions, but postponement of an adverse event does affect such decisions...
- Socio-economic inequalities in health care utilisation in Norway: a population based cross-sectional surveyAnne Helen Hansen
National Centre for Integrated Care and Telemedicine, University Hospital of Northern Norway, PO Box 35, 9038, Tromsø, Norway
BMC Health Serv Res 12:336. 2012..abstract:..
- Therapeutic decisions by number needed to treat and survival gains: a cross-sectional survey of lipid-lowering drug recommendationsPeder A Halvorsen
National Centre of Rural Medicine, Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Br J Gen Pract 61:e477-83. 2011..Previous studies suggest that lay people have difficulties with evaluating effect size in terms of number needed to treat (NNT), but they are sensitive to effect size in terms of survival gains...
- Willingness-to-pay for a statistical life in the times of a pandemicDorte Gyrd-Hansen
Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Health Econ 17:55-66. 2008..The results suggest that fear and anxiety distort decision making under uncertainty and decrease focus on the perceived risk reduction...
- Anticipated longevity among lay people screened for cardiovascular risk factors: a cross-sectional questionnaire studyPeder A Halvorsen
Research Unit for General Practice, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Scand J Public Health 38:481-8. 2010..Such information may still have an impact of a more subtle nature. We aimed to explore the potential impact of cardiovascular risk information on lay people's anticipations of their own longevity...
- Critiques of the risk concept--valid or not?Jørgen Nexøe
Research Unit of General Practice, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark
Scand J Public Health 35:648-54. 2007..It is concluded that risk critique should be based on sound theory and empirical data. Critics may do well in making clear distinctions between facts and value judgements...