- [Experimental study of the compatibility between Schistosoma haematobium and two species of Bulinus in Cameroon]
Laboratoire de Biologie Générale, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Yaounde I, BP 812 Yaounde, Cameroun
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:43-6. 2004
..The results suggested that B. truncatus might be potentially more implicated than B. globosus to the extension of the urinary bilharziasis in Cameroon...
- [Dynamics of intestinal schistosomiasis in Cameroon: evolution of transmission in the mixed zone of Nkolmébanga, Lékié]
Laboratoire de Biologie Générale, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroun
Med Trop (Mars) 64:351-4. 2004
..In this study both malacologic and parasitological findings suggested that S. mansoni persists in Nkolmébanga region but that S. intercalatum has disappeared probably as a result of deforestation and urbanization...
- Infection rate of Trypanosoma brucei s.l., T. vivax, T. congolense "forest type", and T. simiae in small wild vertebrates in south Cameroon
LRT, OCEAC, BP 288 Yaoundé, Cameroon
Acta Trop 92:139-46. 2004
..The presence of T. brucei s.l. in a large range of wild animals strengthens the hypothesis of the existence of a wild animal reservoir of T. b. gambiense in Cameroon...
- A study of host preference in tsetse flies using a modified heteroduplex PCR-based method
OCEAC, Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Trypanosomoses, BP 288, Yaounde, Cameroon
Acta Trop 91:117-20. 2004
..4%) were not identified using our set of reference DNAs. The results confirmed the occurrence of frequent contacts between wild animals and this population of tsetse flies...
- An isoenzyme survey of Trypanosoma brucei s.l. from the Central African subregion: population structure, taxonomic and epidemiological considerations
OCEAC, Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Trypanosomoses, BP 288, Yaounde, Cameroun
Parasitology 128:645-53. 2004
..However, in some cases an epidemic population structure could not be ruled out. Our study also suggested that the domestic pig was a probable reservoir host for T. b. gambiense group I in Cameroon...
- Trypanosoma vivax, T. congolense "forest type" and T. simiae: prevalence in domestic animals of sleeping sickness foci of Cameroon
Laboratoire de Biologie Générale, Département de Biologie et Physiologie Animales, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Yaounde I, BP 812, Yaounde, Cameroun
Parasite 18:171-9. 2011
..The high prevalences of 7 vivax and T congolense "forest type" in Bipindi and Fontem-Center indicate their intense transmission in these foci...
- [The focus of human trypanosomiasis in Campo (Cameroon). History and endemic situation in 1998]
OCEAC, Yaounde, Cameroun
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 92:185-90. 1999
..During this study, the latex CATT proved to be more cost-effective than the CATT 1.3 since a similar result was reached requiring eight times less work at a lower cost. This remains to be confirmed in a hyperendemic focus...
- Domestic animals as potential reservoir hosts of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in sleeping sickness foci in Cameroon
General Biology Laboratory, Department of Biology and Animal Physiology, Faculty of Science, BP 812, University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon
Parasite 17:61-6. 2010
..92%) animals from Bipindi, 15 (4.83%) from Campo, 4 (2.59%) from FontemCenter and none from Doumé. The infection rates significantly differed between the localities, and correlated with the intensity of HAT transmission in the foci...
- Wild fauna as a probable animal reservoir for Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in Cameroon
LRT, OCEAC, BP 288, Yaound, Cameroon
Infect Genet Evol 6:147-53. 2006
..The epidemiological implications of these findings remain to be determined with further investigations...
- Characterization of Trypanosoma brucei s.l. subspecies by isoenzymes in domestic pigs from the Fontem sleeping sickness focus of Cameroon
S W Nkinin
LRT OCEAC, BP 288, Yaounde, Cameroon
Acta Trop 81:225-32. 2002
..There is, however, need for an extensive study on domestic animals in Cameroon and other neighbouring countries for a better comprehension of the epidemiology of sleeping sickness within the Central African region...
- Trypanosoma brucei s.l.: characterisation of stocks from Central Africa by PCR analysis of mobile genetic elements
Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Trypanosomoses LRT OCEAC, Yaounde, Cameroon
Exp Parasitol 110:353-62. 2005
..The MGE-PCR technique represents a simple, rapid, and specific method to differentiate Central African T. brucei s.l. isolates...
- A new transmission risk index for human African trypanosomiasis and its application in the identification of sites of high transmission of sleeping sickness in the Fontem focus of southwest Cameroon
G R Njitchouang
General Biology Laboratory, Department of Animal Biology and Physiology, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon
Med Vet Entomol 25:289-96. 2011
..In all seasons, there was a strong correlation between the old and new indices, suggesting that both can be used to estimate the level of transmission, but as the new index is the more comprehensive, it may be more accurate...
- Identification of trypanosomes in wild animals from southern Cameroon using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
LRCT IRD CIRAD, TA 207 G, Campus International de Baillarguet, F 34398 Montpellier, France
Parasite 9:345-9. 2002
..monticola), in carnivores (Nandinia binotata and Genetta servalina) and in rodents (Cricetomys gambianus and Atherurus africanus). 13 species (54%) were carrying T. brucei s.l. identified as non-gambiense group 1...
- [Risk factors for human African trypanosomiasis in the Bipindi region of Cameroon]
Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Trypanosomoses, OCEAC Yaoundé, Cameroun
Med Trop (Mars) 61:377-83. 2001
..Interpretation of this finding in the light of local geographical features and current entomological data suggests that the higher risk in hunters is linked to the presence of a perennial vector population and absence of domestic pigs...
- [Distribution and ecology of the Savannah human African trypanosomiasis vectors in disturbed forest zone in south Cameroon: about case in the Doumé forest]
J A Mbida Mbida
Laboratoire de Biologie Générale, Faculté des sciences BP 812, Yaounde, Cameroun
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 102:101-5. 2009
..The Doumé focus presents therefore characteristics of savannah focus where river banks and nearby biotopes are the main target sites for vector control campaigns...
- Spatial and temporal patterns of human African trypanosomosis (HAT) transmission risk in the Bipindi focus, in the forest zone of southern Cameroon
Laboratoire de Recherche et de Coordination contre les Trypanosomoses CIRAD IRD, Montpellier, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 4:230-8. 2004
..Game animals, contributing to 46% and 64% of the blood meals during the short rainy season and the long dry season, respectively, are also favored as feeding hosts in this particular HAT focus...
- High prevalence of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense group 1 in pigs from the Fontem sleeping sickness focus in Cameroon
, Yaound, Cameroon
Vet Parasitol 139:57-66. 2006
..No significant difference was observed between the percentage of T. b. gambiense group 1 single and mixed infections, and between the prevalence of this trypanosome in pigs from villages with and without sleeping sickness patients...
- Tsetse fly host preference from sleeping sickness foci in Cameroon: epidemiological implications
Medical Research Centre, Institute of Medical Research and Medicinal Plants Studies IMPM MINRESI, P O Box 6163 Yaoundé, Cameroon
Infect Genet Evol 8:34-9. 2008
- Evolutionary relationships and biogeography of Biomphalaria (Gastropoda: Planorbidae) with implications regarding its role as host of the human bloodfluke, Schistosoma mansoni
R J DeJong
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA
Mol Biol Evol 18:2225-39. 2001
..mansoni to adapt to and acquire previously unsusceptible species as hosts. Biomphalaria schrammi appears to be distantly related to other Biomphalaria as well as to Helisoma, and may represent a separate or intermediate lineage...