- Case-fatality ratio of bacterial meningitis in the African meningitis belt: we can do betterPascal Boisier
Centre de Recherche Médicale et Sanitaire CERMES, BP 10887, Niamey, Niger
Vaccine 25:A24-9. 2007..The development of diagnostic tools really suitable for remote health facilities also is an urgent challenge...
- Meningococcal meningitis: unprecedented incidence of serogroup X-related cases in 2006 in NigerPascal Boisier
centre de recherche médicale et sanitaire, Réseau International des Instituts Pasteur, Niamey, Niger
Clin Infect Dis 44:657-63. 2007..However, since 2002, Nm serogroup W135 has been considered to be a major threat that has not yet been realized, and an unprecedented incidence of Nm serogroup X (NmX) meningitis was observed in 2006...
- Scaling up of PCR-based surveillance of bacterial meningitis in the African meningitis belt: indisputable benefits of multiplex PCR assay in NigerSuzanne Chanteau
CERMES, Réseau International des Instituts Pasteur, P O Box 10 887, Niamey, Niger
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:677-80. 2006..4% for culture (P<10(-8)). PCR was also efficient for the CSF specimens stored in Trans-isolate medium. In conclusion, PCR assay is currently a key tool in Africa to improve microbiological surveillance of bacterial meningitis...
- Epidemiological patterns of meningococcal meningitis in Niger in 2003 and 2004: under the threat of N. meningitidis serogroup W135Pascal Boisier
CERMES, Réseau International des Instituts Pasteur, Ministere de la Sante, Niamey, Niger
Trop Med Int Health 10:435-43. 2005..meningitidis serogroup X was observed. Close microbiological surveillance is crucial for monitoring the threat and for identifying at the earliest the serogroups involved in epidemics...
- Carriage of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135 ST-2881Pascal Boisier
centre de recherche médicale et sanitaire, Niamey, Niger
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1421-3. 2006..Ten months later, 5 former carriers were still carriers of W135 ST-2881 strains. The serum bactericidal antibody activity changed according to carrier status...
- Polymerase chain reaction assay and bacterial meningitis surveillance in remote areas, NigerFati Sidikou
, Niamey, Niger
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1486-8. 2003..PCR effectively documented the wide geographic spread of N. meningitidis serogroup W135...
- Prospective survey on carriage of Neisseria meningitidis and protective immunity to meningococci in schoolchildren in Niamey (Niger): focus on serogroup W135Amina Amadou Hamidou
, , BP 10887, Niamey, Niger
Microbes Infect 8:2098-104. 2006..In May, 45.5% of them had specific IgG > or = 2 microg/ml vs. 5.3% among non-carriers...
- Biological diagnosis of meningococcal meningitis in the African meningitis belt: current epidemic strategy and new perspectivesSuzanne Chanteau
CERMES, Réseau International Institut Pasteur, PO Box 10887, Niamey, Niger
Vaccine 25:A30-6. 2007....
- New rapid diagnostic tests for Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, W135, C, and YSuzanne Chanteau
Institut Pasteur, Plateforme Technologique PT5, Paris, France
PLoS Med 3:e337. 2006..meningitidis serogroup determination is key. To this end, we developed and evaluated two duplex rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for detecting N. meningitidis polysaccharide (PS) antigens of several important serogroups...
- Controlling schistosomiasis: significant decrease of anaemia prevalence one year after a single dose of praziquantel in Nigerian schoolchildrenZilahatou B Tohon
CERMES Réseau International des Instituts Pasteur, Niamey, Niger
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e241. 2008..The objective of the study was to assess the evolution of Schistosoma haematobium infection and anaemia in schoolchildren after a single administration of praziquantel (PZQ) and albendazole...
- Populations of pharyngeal meningococci in NigerPierre Nicolas
Institut de Médecine Tropicale du Service de Santé des Armées IMTSSA, WHO Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Meningococci, BP 46, 13998 Marseille, France
Vaccine 25:A53-7. 2007..2% to ST-7. Most of the isolates recovered were weakly pathogenic Nm NG ST-192 and NmW135 ST-2881. These results, although preliminary, are important to consider before introduction of a NmA conjugate meningococcal vaccine in Africa...
- Epidemiologic features of four successive annual outbreaks of bubonic plague in Mahajanga, MadagascarPascal Boisier
Institut Pasteur, World Health Organization Collaborating Cernter for Plague, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Emerg Infect Dis 8:311-6. 2002..Plague remains an important public health problem in Madagascar, and the potential is substantial for spread to other coastal cities and abroad...