Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Auckland
Country: New Zealand
- Carroll M, Parmar P, Dalbeth N, Boocock M, Rome K. Gait characteristics associated with the foot and ankle in inflammatory arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:134 pubmed publisher..Future studies may consider a standardised analytical approach to gait analysis that will provide clinicians and researchers with objective evidence of foot function in people with IA. ..
- Dalbeth N, Ames R, Gamble G, Horne A, Wong S, Kuhn Sherlock B, et al. Effects of skim milk powder enriched with glycomacropeptide and G600 milk fat extract on frequency of gout flares: a proof-of-concept randomised controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:929-34 pubmed publisher..This is the first reported controlled trial of dietary intervention in patients with gout, and suggests that SMP enriched with GMP and G600 may reduce the frequency of gout flares. ..
- Bursill D, Taylor W, Terkeltaub R, Dalbeth N. The nomenclature of the basic disease elements of gout: A content analysis of contemporary medical journals. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2018;: pubmed publisher..9% of articles. Labelling of the basic disease elements of gout is characterised by imprecision, inaccuracy and lack of clarity. Consensus regarding the nomenclature of these elements is required. ..
- ..Worldwide, rates of initiation and continuation of urate-lowering therapy are very low, and, consequently, achievement of serum urate targets is infrequent. Strategies to improve quality of gout care are needed. ..
- Dalbeth N, Gamble G, Horne A, Reid I. Relationship Between Changes in Serum Urate and Bone Mineral Density During Treatment with Thiazide Diuretics: Secondary Analysis from a Randomized Controlled Trial. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016;98:474-8 pubmed publisher..043). These data raise the possibility that the effects of hydrochlorothiazide on BMD may be mediated, in part, by changes in serum urate concentrations. ..
- Dalbeth N, Aati O, Gao A, House M, Liu Q, Horne A, et al. Assessment of tophus size: a comparison between physical measurement methods and dual-energy computed tomography scanning. J Clin Rheumatol. 2012;18:23-7 pubmed publisher..Dual-energy computed tomography scanning is a highly reproducible method for measuring urate deposits within tophi. This imaging modality reveals the composition of tophi that contain variable urate deposits embedded within soft tissue. ..
- Rice D, Graven Nielsen T, Lewis G, McNair P, Dalbeth N. The effects of experimental knee pain on lower limb corticospinal and motor cortex excitability. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:204 pubmed publisher..05). Quadriceps corticospinal excitability increases during experimental knee pain, providing no evidence for a supraspinal contribution to quadriceps AMI. ..
- Dalbeth N, Pool B, Gamble G, Smith T, Callon K, McQueen F, et al. Cellular characterization of the gouty tophus: a quantitative analysis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:1549-56 pubmed publisher..The coexpression of IL-1beta and TGFbeta1 suggests that both proinflammatory and antiinflammatory factors present within the tophus contribute to a cycle of chronic inflammation, attempted resolution, and tissue remodeling. ..
- Chhana A, Aati O, Gamble G, Callon K, Doyle A, Roger M, et al. Path Analysis Identifies Receptor Activator of Nuclear Factor-ÎºB Ligand, Osteoprotegerin, and Sclerostin as Potential Mediators of the Tophus-bone Erosion Relationship in Gout. J Rheumatol. 2016;43:445-9 pubmed publisher..Tophus number is strongly associated with bone erosion in gout. Circulating RANKL, OPG, and sclerostin are potential mediators of tophus-related erosion. ..
- Dalbeth N, Smith T, Nicolson B, Clark B, Callon K, Naot D, et al. Enhanced osteoclastogenesis in patients with tophaceous gout: urate crystals promote osteoclast development through interactions with stromal cells. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:1854-65 pubmed publisher..Chronic tophaceous and erosive gout is characterized by enhanced osteoclast development. These data provide a rationale for the study of osteoclast-targeted therapies for the prevention of bone damage in chronic gout. ..
- Chhana A, Lee G, Dalbeth N. Factors influencing the crystallization of monosodium urate: a systematic literature review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:296 pubmed publisher..Different proteins and factors within connective tissues may promote MSU crystallization and may be important for determining the sites at which MSU crystallization occurs in the presence of elevated urate concentrations. ..
- Dalbeth N, House M, Horne A, Petrie K, McQueen F, Taylor W. Prescription and dosing of urate-lowering therapy, rather than patient behaviours, are the key modifiable factors associated with targeting serum urate in gout. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012;13:174 pubmed publisher..03). ULT prescription and dosing are key modifiable factors associated with achieving SU target. These data support interventions focusing on improved use of ULT to optimise outcomes in patients with gout. ..
- Rice D, McNair P, Lewis G, Dalbeth N. The effects of joint aspiration and intra-articular corticosteroid injection on flexion reflex excitability, quadriceps strength and pain in individuals with knee synovitis: a prospective observational study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:191 pubmed publisher..Joint aspiration and corticosteroid injection may be a clinically useful intervention to reverse quadriceps muscle weakness in individuals with knee synovitis. ..
- Sapsford M, Gamble G, Aati O, Knight J, Horne A, Doyle A, et al. Relationship of bone erosion with the urate and soft tissue components of the tophus in gout: a dual energy computed tomography study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:129-133 pubmed publisher..Urate and soft tissue components of the tophus are strongly and independently associated with bone erosion in gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, Clark B, Gregory K, Gamble G, Sheehan T, Doyle A, et al. Mechanisms of bone erosion in gout: a quantitative analysis using plain radiography and computed tomography. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009;68:1290-5 pubmed publisher..These results strongly implicate tophus infiltration into bone as the dominant mechanism for the development of bone erosion and joint damage in gout. ..
- Vincent Z, Gamble G, House M, Knight J, Horne A, Taylor W, et al. Predictors of Mortality in People with Recent-onset Gout: A Prospective Observational Study. J Rheumatol. 2017;44:368-373 pubmed publisher..48, 95% CI 1.25-9.63). People with gout disease duration < 10 years have an increased risk of death. The presence of subcutaneous tophi at baseline is an independent predictor of mortality, from both CV and non-CV causes. ..
- Stewart S, Dalbeth N, Vandal A, Rome K. The first metatarsophalangeal joint in gout: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:69 pubmed publisher..Gout affects the structure and function of the 1(st) MTP. Microscopic and imaging studies have demonstrated crystal deposition and joint damage at the 1(st) MTP in people with gout. ..
- Mitnala S, Phipps Green A, Franklin C, Horne A, Stamp L, Merriman T, et al. Clinical and genetic features of diuretic-associated gout: a case-control study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016;55:1172-6 pubmed publisher..The observed differences in the ABCG2 risk allele frequency suggest that some genetic factors play a less dominant role in diuretic-associated gout compared with primary gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, Pool B, Smith T, Callon K, Lobo M, Taylor W, et al. Circulating mediators of bone remodeling in psoriatic arthritis: implications for disordered osteoclastogenesis and bone erosion. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R164 pubmed publisher..Systemic expression of soluble factors that promote osteoclastogenesis is disordered in patients with PsA and may contribute to periarticular bone loss in this disease. ..
- Dalbeth N, Phipps Green A, House M, Gamble G, Horne A, Stamp L, et al. Body mass index modulates the relationship of sugar-sweetened beverage intake with serum urate concentrations and gout. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015;17:263 pubmed publisher..Australian Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12610001036000 . Registered 24 November 2010. ..
- McQueen F, Chapman P, Pollock T, D Souza D, Lee A, Dalbeth N, et al. Changes in clinical disease activity are weakly linked to changes in MRI inflammation on treat-to-target escalation of therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:241 pubmed publisher..The association was significant but relatively weak, suggesting that MRI targets cannot yet be advocated as outcomes for T2T escalation. ANZCTR 12614000895684 . Registered 22 August 2014. ..
- Towiwat P, Doyle A, Gamble G, Tan P, Aati O, Horne A, et al. Urate crystal deposition and bone erosion in gout: 'inside-out' or 'outside-in'? A dual-energy computed tomography study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:208 pubmed publisher..These data support the concept that MSU crystals deposit outside bone and contribute to bone erosion through an 'outside-in' mechanism. ..
- Rasheed H, Stamp L, Dalbeth N, Merriman T. Interaction of the GCKR and A1CF loci with alcohol consumption to influence the risk of gout. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:161 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that alcohol influences the risk of gout via glucose and apolipoprotein metabolism. In the absence of alcohol exposure, genetic variants in the GCKR and A1CF genes have a stronger role in gout. ..
- He W, Phipps Green A, Stamp L, Merriman T, Dalbeth N. Population-specific association between ABCG2 variants and tophaceous disease in people with gout. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:43 pubmed publisher..Variation in ABCG2 function may play a role in the development of tophaceous disease in some populations with high prevalence of severe gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, House M, Gamble G, Pool B, Horne A, Purvis L, et al. Influence of the ABCG2 gout risk 141 K allele on urate metabolism during a fructose challenge. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014;16:R34 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to test the hypothesis that the ABCG2 gout risk allele 141 K promotes the hyperuricaemic response to fructose loading...
- Flynn T, Phipps Green A, Hollis Moffatt J, Merriman M, Topless R, Montgomery G, et al. Association analysis of the SLC22A11 (organic anion transporter 4) and SLC22A12 (urate transporter 1) urate transporter locus with gout in New Zealand case-control sample sets reveals multiple ancestral-specific effects. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R220 pubmed..Further fine mapping of the association signal is needed using trans-ancestral re-sequence data. ..
- Hollis Moffatt J, Chen Xu M, Topless R, Dalbeth N, Gow P, Harrison A, et al. Only one independent genetic association with rheumatoid arthritis within the KIAA1109-TENR-IL2-IL21 locus in Caucasian sample sets: confirmation of association of rs6822844 with rheumatoid arthritis at a genome-wide level of significance. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R116 pubmed publisher..The KIAA1109-TENR-IL2-IL21 locus also confers susceptibility to other autoimmune phenotypes with a heterogeneous pattern of association. ..
- Hollis Moffatt J, Rowley K, Phipps Green A, Merriman M, Dalbeth N, Gow P, et al. The ITGAV rs3738919 variant and susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis in four Caucasian sample sets. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R152 pubmed publisher..Meta-analysis of these and previously published data lends limited support for a role for the ITGAV in RA in Caucasians of European ancestry. ..
- Hollis Moffatt J, Gow P, Harrison A, Highton J, Jones P, Stamp L, et al. The SLC2A9 nonsynonymous Arg265His variant and gout: evidence for a population-specific effect on severity. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R85 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that the effect of this variant is population-specific, further confirming population heterogeneity regarding the association of SLC2A9 with gout. ..
- Hollis Moffatt J, Phipps Green A, Chapman B, Jones G, Van Rij A, Gow P, et al. The renal urate transporter SLC17A1 locus: confirmation of association with gout. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R92 pubmed publisher..70, P = 3.0 × 10-8). Haplotype analysis suggested the presence of a common protective haplotype. We confirm the SLC17A1 locus as the third associated with gout at a genome-wide level of significance. ..
- Dalbeth N, Lindsay K. The patient's experience of gout: new insights to optimize management. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012;14:173-8 pubmed publisher..Work is now required to identify the optimal models of care for patients with gout that can be tested in clinical trials using outcome measures of relevance to individuals with this disease. ..
- Dalbeth N, Petrie K, House M, Chong J, Leung W, Chegudi R, et al. Illness perceptions in patients with gout and the relationship with progression of musculoskeletal disability. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63:1605-12 pubmed publisher..Negative or pessimistic views about gout are associated with poorly controlled disease, lower adherence to ULT, and progression of musculoskeletal disability in patients with gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, Merriman T. Crystal ball gazing: new therapeutic targets for hyperuricaemia and gout. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009;48:222-6 pubmed publisher..Disordered osteoclastogenesis in patients with chronic gout highlights potential therapies for prevention of joint damage. This review summarizes these findings and the potential relevance for future management of gout. ..
- Derksen C, Serlachius A, Petrie K, Dalbeth N. "What say ye gout experts?" a content analysis of questions about gout posted on the social news website Reddit. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:488 pubmed publisher..These findings may inform development of strategies to address the information needs of people with gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, Pool B, Chhana A, Lin J, Tay M, Tan P, et al. Lack of Evidence that Soluble Urate Directly Influences Bone Remodelling: A Laboratory and Clinical Study. Calcif Tissue Int. 2018;102:73-84 pubmed publisher..These data, together with clinical trial data showing no effect of urate-lowering on P1NP or bone density, do not support a direct role for urate in influencing bone remodelling. ..
- Bourke S, Taylor W, Doyle A, Gott M, Dalbeth N. The patient experience of musculoskeletal imaging tests for investigation of inflammatory arthritis: a mixed-methods study. Clin Rheumatol. 2018;37:2261-2268 pubmed publisher..The overall experience is most influenced by patient discomfort and interactions with staff during the test, information provided and viewing images to improve patient involvement in clinical care. ..
- Dalbeth N, Kumar S, Stamp L, Gow P. Dose adjustment of allopurinol according to creatinine clearance does not provide adequate control of hyperuricemia in patients with gout. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:1646-50 pubmed..Further work is required to clarify the safety and efficacy of allopurinol dose escalation, particularly in patients with renal impairment. ..
- Dalbeth N, Stamp L, Merriman T. The genetics of gout: towards personalised medicine?. BMC Med. 2017;15:108 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarise the discoveries from genome-wide association studies and discuss the potential for translation of these findings into clinical practice. ..
- Dalbeth N, Doyle A. Imaging of gout: an overview. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2012;26:823-38 pubmed publisher..The observation that ultrasonographic appearances of monosodium urate crystal deposition can be observed in patients with hyperuricaemia but no other clinical features of gout raises important questions about disease definitions...
- Stewart S, Pearson J, Rome K, Dalbeth N, Vandal A. Analysis of data collected from right and left limbs: Accounting for dependence and improving statistical efficiency in musculoskeletal research. Gait Posture. 2018;59:182-187 pubmed publisher..This approach is recommended in generating more clinically sound and statistically efficient research outputs. ..
- Dalbeth N, Kalluru R, Aati O, Horne A, Doyle A, McQueen F. Tendon involvement in the feet of patients with gout: a dual-energy CT study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:1545-8 pubmed publisher..To examine the frequency and patterns of monosodium urate (MSU) crystal deposition in tendons and ligaments in patients with gout using dual-energy CT (DECT)...
- Cadzow M, Merriman T, Dalbeth N. Performance of gout definitions for genetic epidemiological studies: analysis of UK Biobank. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:181 pubmed publisher..236). Of the limited items available in multipurpose cohorts, the case definition of self-report of gout or ULT use has high sensitivity and precision for detecting association in genetic epidemiological studies of gout. ..
- Dalbeth N, House M, Horne A, Te Karu L, Petrie K, McQueen F, et al. The experience and impact of gout in M?ori and Pacific people: a prospective observational study. Clin Rheumatol. 2013;32:247-51 pubmed publisher..M?ori and Pacific ethnicity should be recognised as a prognostic factor for more severe outcomes in this disease, and intensive efforts should be made to work with these patients to control serum urate and prevent flares...