Luc Gustaaf Antoon Bonneux
Affiliation: Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute
- Age-specific increases in health care costsJohan J Polder
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 12:57-62. 2002..The objectives of this work are to describe the age pattern of health care costs, to analyse the age-specific cost changes and to project future health care costs in an ageing population...
- [Arguments against implementing a population-based screening programme for colorectal cancer]L Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Den Haag
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:1777. 2008..Physicians and other well-informed citizens rarely undergo colorectal cancer screening. In prioritising health care needs, preference should be given to the needs of actual patients, rather than placing demands on healthy individuals...
- Higher education delays and shortens cognitive impairment: a multistate life table analysis of the US Health and Retirement StudyMieke Reuser
Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute NIDI, The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 26:395-403. 2011..The increased duration of cognitive impairment in minority ethnic groups needs further study, also in Europe...
- Success has many fathers, failure remains an orphanLuc Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut NIDI, PB 11650, 2502 AR, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 26:897-8. 2011..What was highly unusual was the rather dramatic lagging of Dutch life expectancy between 1980 and 2000. The reasons of this failure remain clouded in mystery...
- [Electromagnetic fields: damage to health due to the nocebo effect]L Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Postbus 11 650, 2502 AR Den Haag
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:953-6. 2007..Anxiety caused by health scares is an increasing public health problem, which should be addressed in its own right...
- From evidence based bioethics to evidence based social policiesLuc Bonneux
NIDI, PB 11650, Den Haag, 2502 AR, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 22:483-5. 2007..An evidence based social policy should be based on effective interventions that are able to break the vicious circles of disability handed down from generation to generation...
- [Overweight and mortality risk: no connection between overweight in middle and older age groups and increased mortality]L Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Postbus 11 650, 2502 AR Den Haag
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:2764-9. 2007..Smoking is fatal and saves health care costs by killing. Obesity is now a largely non-fatal condition that successfully avoids premature death by effective risk management but with increased health care costs...
- [Sensible family planning: do not have children too late, but not too early either]L Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut NIDIIKNAW, Postbus 11 650, 2502 AR Den Haag
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:1507-12. 2008..Women planning a family should take into account the decline in natural fertility after the age of 35; the future mothers of the Netherlands seem to be planning and deciding wisely...
- Medical demography and epidemiology: dizygotic twinsLuc Gustaaf Antoon Bonneux
Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, NIDI, P O Box 11650, 2502 AR, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 24:157-9. 2009..While with extended life spans may come extended life spans with disability, the twin demography and epidemiology may show how to lighten the burden of senescence at the end of life...
- [No evidence of fewer influenza complications with oseltamivir]Luc Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut NIDI KNAW, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A1127. 2009..This policy is based on one study which shows only limited evidence of the effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in lowering the number of such complications...
- [Advantages and disadvantages of breast cancer screening: time for evidence-based information]Luc Bonneux
Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen, Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A887. 2009..These figures are based on the best evidence available, but are subject to further improvement...
- Mortality in 272 European regions, 2002-2004. An updateLuc G Bonneux
Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 25:77-85. 2010..Closing the health gap is feasible and ought to be a major target of the European Union, but monitoring will need better registration of causes of death...
- [The Prevention Visit: a health check advocated by the Dutch College of General Practitioners]Luc Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut NIDI, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 155:A3533. 2011..In doing so, they transform the basic human fear of ageing and death into seemingly objective 'risks' that need 'treatments'...
- [Population-based breast cancer screening is not worthwhile. Screening has little effect on mortality]Luc G A Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Afd Population Dynamics, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 155:A3774. 2011..Breast cancer screening is not a public health priority. Impartial and transparent information on the disadvantages and benefits of breast cancer screening is urgently needed...
- Blood pressure in adulthood and life expectancy with cardiovascular disease in men and women: life course analysisOscar H Franco
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hypertension 46:280-6. 2005..This effect is larger than estimated previously and affects both sexes similarly. Our findings underline the tremendous importance of preventing high blood pressure and its consequences in the population...
- Balancing evidence and public opinion in health technology assessments: the case of leukoreductionIrina Cleemput
Belgian Health Care Knowledge Center KCE, Brussels
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 22:403-7. 2006..This issue will need an open discussion with the general public of the real risks and a clear and unambiguous definition of proportionality in the precautionary principle, based on the European law...
- Smoking decreases the duration of life lived with and without cardiovascular disease: a life course analysis of the Framingham Heart StudyAbdullah Al Mamun
University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 25:409-15. 2004..To compare the burden of cardiovascular disease in terms of lifetime risk and life years lived with disease between smokers and non-smokers...
- Mortality reduction by breast-cancer screeningLuc Bonneux
Lancet 362:245. 2003
- Methods of estimating years of life lost due to obesityAnna Peeters
JAMA 289:2941; author reply 2941-2. 2003
- Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysisAnna Peeters
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 138:24-32. 2003..Overweight and obesity in adulthood are linked to an increased risk for death and disease. Their potential effect on life expectancy and premature death has not yet been described...
- Screening populations at low risk carries high risksLuc Bonneux
BMJ 326:53. 2003
- Mammographic screening: no reliable supporting evidence?Luc Bonneux
Lancet 360:720; author reply 720-1. 2002
- Update on effects of screening mammographyLuc Bonneux
Lancet 360:337-8; author reply 339-40. 2002
- Obesity, cardiology, and beyondMaarten L Simoons
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:986-7. 2008
- Adult obesity and the burden of disability throughout lifeAnna Peeters
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Obes Res 12:1145-51. 2004..To analyze the prevalence of disability throughout life and life expectancy free of disability, associated with obesity at ages 30 to 49 years...
- Harms and benefits of screening to prevent cervical cancerLuc Bonneux
Lancet 364:1483; author reply 1485-6. 2004
- The Polymeal: a more natural, safer, and probably tastier (than the Polypill) strategy to reduce cardiovascular disease by more than 75%Oscar H Franco
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
BMJ 329:1447-50. 2004..The objective of this study was to identify a tastier and safer alternative to the Polypill: the Polymeal...
- A cross-national perspective on cost of illness: a comparison of studies from The Netherlands, Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, and SwedenJohan J Polder
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Public Health Forecasting, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Eur J Health Econ 6:223-32. 2005..Cross-national comparisons may be possible if data and methods are standardized, and COI estimates are made for a common comparable package...
- Cardiovascular risk modelsLuc Bonneux
BMJ 335:107-8. 2007
- [Socrates against Annie Hall]Luc Bonneux
Nederlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:69-72. 2007
- Costs and benefits of bacterial culturing and pathogen reduction in the NetherlandsMart P Janssen
University Medical Center Utrecht, Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Transfusion 46:956-65. 2006..The cost-effectiveness (CE) of these interventions was analyzed after the introduction of the diversion pouch during blood collection...
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: cost-effectiveness comparisonOscar H Franco
Department of Public Health, University Medical Center Rotterdam, 50 Dr Molewaterplein, 3000 CA Rotterdam, Zuid Holland
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 23:71-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of four risk-lowering interventions (smoking cessation, antihypertensives, aspirin, and statins) in primary prevention of cardiovascular disease...
- Mammographic screening from age 40 yearsLuc Bonneux
Lancet 369:737; author reply 738. 2007