Affiliation: Duke University Medical Center
Location: Durham, United States
Nuclear Receptor Function in Physiology and Disease.
- Molecular characterization and sex-related seasonal expression of thyroid receptor subtypes in goldfishE R Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive N W, Calgary, Alta, Canada T3B 2V4
Mol Cell Endocrinol 253:83-95. 2006..The results provide a frame work for better understanding of the functional significance of novel TR forms and TR subtypes in fish and other vertebrates...
- Estrogen-related receptor-α is a metabolic regulator of effector T-cell activation and differentiationRyan D Michalek
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:18348-53. 2011..Thus, ERRα is a selective transcriptional regulator of Teff metabolism that may provide a metabolic means to modulate immunity...
- The oxysterol, 27-hydroxycholesterol, links cholesterol metabolism to bone homeostasis through its actions on the estrogen and liver X receptorsErik R Nelson
Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, P O Box 3813, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Endocrinology 152:4691-705. 2011....
- Auto-regulation of thyroid hormone receptors in the goldfish ovary and testisErik R Nelson
Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3813, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 172:50-5. 2011..The results provide novel information on auto-regulation of TRs in the goldfish ovary and testis, and support the hypothesis that thyroid hormones are involved in the control of reproduction...
- Thyroid hormone and reproduction: regulation of estrogen receptors in goldfish gonadsErik R Nelson
Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 77:784-94. 2010..Therefore, we propose that this may be an endocrine mechanism that goldfish use to switch their energy expenditure from reproductive to growth efforts in the goldfish...
- The endogenous selective estrogen receptor modulator 27-hydroxycholesterol is a negative regulator of bone homeostasisCarolyn D DuSell
Department of Pharmacology, Duke University Medical Center, Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Endocrinology 151:3675-85. 2010..More studies are warranted to fully elucidate the mechanism of action of 27HC in bone and to identify ways to modulate this pathway therapeutically...
- Functional significance of nuclear estrogen receptor subtypes in the liver of goldfishErik R Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive Northwest, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Endocrinology 151:1668-76. 2010....
- Regulation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor function by selective estrogen receptor modulatorsCarolyn D DuSell
Duke University Medical Center, Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:33-46. 2010..Cumulatively, these findings provide evidence that it is necessary to reevaluate the relative roles of ER and AHR in manifesting the pharmacological actions and therapeutic efficacy of TAM and other SERMs...
- Gender-related expression of TRalpha and TRbeta in the protandrous black porgy, Acanthopagrus schlegeli, during sex change processesKwang Wook An
Division of Marine Environment and Bioscience, Korea Maritime University, Busan 606 791, Republic of Korea
Gen Comp Endocrinol 165:11-8. 2010..These results will provide a framework for better understanding of the role of TRs during sex change processes in this fish...
- Seasonal regulation of vitellogenin by growth hormone in the goldfish liverMina Moussavi
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive, N W, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Gen Comp Endocrinol 161:79-82. 2009..Like Vg, GHR transcript was increased by treatment with GH in September but not February or June. Overall, the present study provides novel information on the role of GH in the season-dependent regulation of Vg and GHR gene expression...
- Thyroid receptor subtypes: structure and function in fishErik R Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr N W Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Gen Comp Endocrinol 161:90-6. 2009..In this paper, we review current information on the thyroid receptors studied in the vertebrate species with emphasis on recent findings in goldfish concerning functional significance of the thyroid receptor subtypes...
- Molecular characterization and expression of three GnRH forms mRNA during gonad sex-change process, and effect of GnRHa on GTH subunits mRNA in the protandrous black porgy (Acanthopagrus schlegeli)Kwang Wook An
Division of Marine Environment and Bioscience, Korea Maritime University, Youngdo gu, Busan, Republic of Korea
Gen Comp Endocrinol 159:38-45. 2008..The findings support the hypothesis that the three forms of GnRH play important roles in the regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, and are likely involved also in gonadal development and sex change in black porgy...
- Functional significance of a truncated thyroid receptor subtype lacking a hormone-binding domain in goldfishErik R Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Endocrinology 149:4702-9. 2008..Our results provide important insight into thyroid receptor biology in goldfish and a framework for the better understanding of thyroid receptor function in all vertebrates...
- Characterization of estrogen receptor beta2 and expression of the estrogen receptor subtypes alpha, beta1, and beta2 in the protandrous black porgy (Acanthopagrus schlegeli) during the sex change processKwang Wook An
Division of Marine Environment and Bioscience, Korea Maritime University, Busan, South Korea
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 150:284-91. 2008..The present study describes the molecular characterization of ERbeta2, and documents the expression changes of three ER subtypes during sex change process of the protandrous black porgy...
- Basin-wide impacts of compounds with estrogen-like activity on longnose dace (Rhinichthys cataractae) in two prairie rivers of Alberta, CanadaKen M Jeffries
Centre for Applied Conservation Research, Department of Forest Sciences, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z4, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:2042-52. 2008..Our results demonstrate that it is important to assess rivers at large spatial scales to detect fully the impacts of municipal wastewater and agriculture on fish populations...
- Cadmium affects the expression of metallothionein (MT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) mRNA in goldfish, Carassius auratusCheol Young Choi
Division of Marine Environment and Bioscience, Korea Maritime University, Busan, 606 791, South Korea
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 145:595-600. 2007..The findings provide molecular characterization of MT and GPX in goldfish and suggest that exposure to Cd results in significant physiological changes in goldfish...
- Homologous regulation of estrogen receptor subtypes in goldfish (Carassius auratus)E R Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mol Reprod Dev 74:1105-12. 2007..The results provide strong support for the hypothesis that homologous regulation of ERs is tissue- and gender-specific, and may be a mechanism for estrogen-mediated regulation of reproduction in goldfish...
- New insights into thyroid hormone function and modulation of reproduction in goldfishH R Habibi
Institute of Environmental Toxicology and University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr NW Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 175:19-26. 2012..Thyroid hormones will likely work in concert with other hormones to influence reproduction in fish and other vertebrates...