- A novel sequential sampling technique for the surveillance of transmitted HIV drug resistance by cross-sectional survey for use in low resource settings
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Antivir Ther 13:37-48. 2008
..The method is currently being used in several such settings...
- Using lot quality-assurance sampling and area sampling to identify priority areas for trachoma control: Viet Nam
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC12V 9EL, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:756-63. 2005
..To report on the use of lot quality-assurance sampling (LQAS) surveys undertaken within an area-sampling framework to identify priority areas for intervention with trachoma control activities in Viet Nam...
- A review of methods to detect cases of severely malnourished children in the community for their admission into community-based therapeutic care programs
Institute of Ophthalmology, 11 43 Bath St, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Food Nutr Bull 27:S7-23. 2006
..This "problem of rejected referrals" has proved to be a major barrier to program uptake...
- The effect of body shape on weight-for-height and mid-upper arm circumference based case definitions of acute malnutrition in Ethiopian children
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, UK
Ann Hum Biol 36:5-20. 2009
..A study undertaken in Somalia to investigate this finding reported that children from pastoralist livelihood zones tended to have longer limbs and lower SSRs than children from agrarian livelihood zones...
- A comparison of the programme coverage of two therapeutic feeding interventions implemented in neighbouring districts of Malawi
Centre for International Child Health, Institute of Child Health, London, WC1N 1EH, UK
Public Health Nutr 10:907-13. 2007
- Field trial of applicability of lot quality assurance sampling survey method for rapid assessment of prevalence of active trachoma
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 81:877-85. 2003
..To test the applicability of lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS) for the rapid assessment of the prevalence of active trachoma...
- Rapid assessment of Schistosoma mansoni: the validity, applicability and cost-effectiveness of the Lot Quality Assurance Sampling method in Uganda
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:647-58. 2005
..19 per schoolchild. We conclude that, in Uganda, LQAS provides a rapid, valid and cost-effective method for guiding decision makers in allocating finite resources for the control of schistosomiasis...
- A field trial of a survey method for estimating the coverage of selective feeding programmes
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:20-6. 2005
..To test a survey method for estimating the coverage of selective feeding programmes in humanitarian emergencies...
- A new method to estimate mortality in crisis-affected and resource-poor settings: validation study
Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:1584-96. 2010
..The methods currently available to collect mortality data in such settings feature important methodological limitations. We developed and validated a new method to provide near real-time mortality estimates in such settings...
- Relationship between body composition and blood pressure in Bahraini adolescents
Aneesa M Al-Sendi
College of Health Science, Ministry of Health, Bahrain
Br J Nutr 90:837-44. 2003
..These findings together with the known tracking of BP from adolescence into adulthood underline the importance of establishing intervention programmes in order to prevent the development of childhood and adolescent obesity...
- Recommendations for surveillance of transmitted HIV drug resistance in countries scaling up antiretroviral treatment
Diane E Bennett
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Antivir Ther 13:25-36. 2008
..Transmitted drug resistant HIV strains will be seen first in cities or health districts where antiretroviral treatment (ART) has been widely available for years. WHO recommends countries begin surveillance in these areas...
- Vitamin A deficiency in a Kenyan prison
Rift Valley Provincial Hospital, Nakuru, Kenya
Trop Med Int Health 12:269-73. 2007
..To estimate the prevalence and causes of vitamin A deficiency disorders (VADD) in adult male prisoners in Nakuru, Kenya...
- Key issues in the success of community-based management of severe malnutrition
Valid International Ltd, Unit 14, Oxford Enterprise Center, Standingford House, 26 Cave St, Oxford OX4 IBA, UK
Food Nutr Bull 27:S49-82. 2006
..Initial data indicate that these programs are affordable, with the cost-effectiveness of emergency community-based therapeutic programs varying from US$12 to US$132 per year of life gained...
- Longitudinal study of trachomatous trichiasis in The Gambia: barriers to acceptance of surgery
Richard J C Bowman
International Centre for Eye Health, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:936-40. 2002
..This study was conducted to investigate attitudes toward trichiasis and its treatment and to determine the rate of surgical uptake in The Gambia...