- The functional impact of HIV-associated neuropsychological impairment in Spanish-speaking adults: a pilot study
Monica Rivera Mindt
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 25:122-32. 2003
..These results, though preliminary, suggest that Spanish language functional assessments are potentially valid tools for detecting everyday functioning deficits associated with NP impairments in HIV-infected Spanish-speakers...
- The impact of HIV-associated neuropsychological impairment on everyday functioning
Robert K Heaton
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Diego, and VA San Diego Health Care System, La Jolla, 92093-0603, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 10:317-31. 2004
..Finally, there is a need for additional research investigating the apparently independent effect of depression on level of everyday functioning in HIV infected persons...
- Cognitive functioning during highly active antiretroviral therapy interruption in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection
Meredith E Childers
Department of Neurosciences, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, California 92103, USA
J Neurovirol 14:550-7. 2008
..TIs of up to 6 months appear to be neurocognitively and psychiatrically safe for most patients...
- Effects of methamphetamine dependence and HIV infection on cerebral morphology
Terry L Jernigan
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 9151B, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1461-72. 2005
..The authors examined the separate and combined effects of methamphetamine dependence and HIV infection on brain morphology...
- Understanding the neuropsychological profile of HIV+ participants with low literacy: role of the General Ability Measure for Adults (GAMA)
Elizabeth L Ryan
Department of Psychiatry, Fordham University, New York, NY, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 22:1018-34. 2008
..The GAMA may be a useful test when disparities in educational quality render reading-based measures of IQ a poor surrogate of premorbid function...
- HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders before and during the era of combination antiretroviral therapy: differences in rates, nature, and predictors
Robert K Heaton
University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Neurovirol 17:3-16. 2011
..Clinical trials targeting HAND prevention should specifically examine timing of ART initiation...
- Effects of HIV-1 infection and aging on neurobehavioral functioning: preliminary findings
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0603, USA
AIDS 18:S27-34. 2004
..CONCLUSION: Although further studies with larger and older samples are needed, this investigation suggests that older adults may be at greater risk of HIV-related neurocognitive dysfunction...
- Cultural influences on antiretroviral therapy adherence among HIV-infected Puerto Ricans
Reuben N Robbins
Clinical Psychology, HIV Center for Clinical and BehavioralStudies, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia Universityand the New York Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 23:531-8. 2012
..Understanding the role of an individual's sociocultural experience may help elucidate why HIV-infected Latinos have difficulties achieving optimal ART adherence and improve ART adherence interventions...
- Neuropsychological impairment in racial/ethnic minorities with HIV infection and low literacy levels: effects of education and reading level in participant characterization
Elizabeth L Ryan
Department of Psychiatry, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 0029 6574, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 11:889-98. 2005
..Identifying appropriate normative standards is and will continue to be important in the detection of cognitive impairment in racial/ethnic minorities with HIV...
- Demographically corrected norms for the Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-revised and Hopkins Verbal Learning Test-revised in monolingual Spanish speakers from the U.S.-Mexico border region
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, HIV Neurobehavioral Research Center, San Diego, CA92103, USA
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 22:343-53. 2007
..Because the age range of our sample was limited, the norms presented should not be applied to elderly populations...
- Motor function and human immunodeficiency virus-associated cognitive impairment in a highly active antiretroviral therapy-era cohort
Departments of Pathology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Box 1052, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Neurol 65:1096-101. 2008
..Cognitive impairment has long been recognized as a manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. However, highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has altered the neurologic manifestations of HIV...