- Breastfeeding and asthma among Brazilian childrenI Romieu
Pan American Health Organization, Mexico
J Asthma 37:575-83. 2000..93-1.75 for current wheezing; and OR = 1.74, 95% CI 1.12-2.6 for wheeze after exercise). We conclude that the low prevalence of asthma and wheeze observed in our population may be partly related to the high level of breastfeeding...
- Breast cancer, lactation history, and serum organochlorinesI Romieu
Pan American Health Organization, Mexico
Am J Epidemiol 152:363-70. 2000..Serum DDT level was not related to the risk of breast cancer. The data suggest that high levels of exposure to DDE may increase women's risk of breast cancer, particularly among postmenopausal women...
- Body mass index, change in body silhouette, and risk of asthma in the E3N cohort studyI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Am J Epidemiol 158:165-74. 2003..18, 2.32). The authors conclude that a high BMI is significantly related to the risk of asthma incidence and that an increase in body silhouette between menarche and adulthood is related to the incidence of asthma later in life...
- Indirect lead exposure among children of radiator repair workersC Aguilar-Garduño
National Institute of Public Health, Mexico
Am J Ind Med 43:662-7. 2003..Secondary exposure to lead has been identified as a public health problem since the late 1940s; we investigate the risk of lead exposure among families of radiator repair workers...
- Maternal fish intake during pregnancy and atopy and asthma in infancyI Romieu
National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico
Clin Exp Allergy 37:518-25. 2007..There is growing evidence that n-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties and may modulate immune response. Dietary intake of these nutrients during pregnancy could play a role in the risk of asthma and atopy in the offspring...
- Genetic polymorphism of GSTM1 and antioxidant supplementation influence lung function in relation to ozone exposure in asthmatic children in Mexico CityI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica de Mexico, Cuernavaca, Mexico
Thorax 59:8-10. 2004..We recently reported that antioxidant supplementation with vitamins C and E mitigated ozone related decline in forced expiratory flow (FEF(25-75)) in 158 asthmatic children in an area with high ozone exposure in Mexico City...
- Nutrition and lung healthI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Col Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca Morelos 62508, Mexico
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:362-74. 2005..Subjects with impaired immune response could also benefit from vitamin A and zinc supplementation. Further studies are needed to determine the impact of diet on the incidence and evolution of lung diseases...
- Fruit and vegetable intakes and asthma in the E3N studyI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Col Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, 62508 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Thorax 61:209-15. 2006..A study was undertaken to investigate whether dietary intake predicted the prevalence of adult asthma among French women participating in the E3N study...
- GSTM1 and GSTP1 and respiratory health in asthmatic children exposed to ozoneI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, 655 Avenida Universidad, Col Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, 62508 Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Eur Respir J 28:953-9. 2006..In conclusion, asthmatic children with glutathione S-transferase M1 null and glutathione S-transferase P1 Valine/Valine genotypes appear more susceptible to developing respiratory symptoms related to ozone exposure...
- Diet and obstructive lung diseasesI Romieu
Pan American Health Organization and National Institute of Public Health, Center for Population Studies, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Epidemiol Rev 23:268-87. 2001....
- Air pollution, oxidative stress and dietary supplementation: a reviewI Romieu
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Av Universidad No 655, Col Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62508, Mexico
Eur Respir J 31:179-97. 2008..Further epidemiological studies should address the impact of supplementation strategies in the prevention of air-pollution-related long-term effects in areas where people are destined to be exposed for the distant future...
- Blood lead levels and calcium intake in Mexico City children under five years of ageM Lacasana
Center for Population Health Research, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Int J Environ Health Res 10:331-40. 2000..The relationship between daily calcium intake and blood lead levels was evaluated among children under five years of age living in Mexico City...
- [Relationship between emergency consultations for respiratory diseases and air pollution in Juarez City, Chihuahua]L Hernandez-Cadena
Centro de Investigacion en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Morelos, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 42:288-97. 2000....
- Breast cancer in Mexican women: an epidemiological study with cervical cancer controlV Tovar-Guzmán
Research Center for Population Health, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca Mor, Mexico
Rev Saude Publica 34:113-9. 2000..In Mexico, breast cancer (BC) is one of the main causes of cancer deaths in women, with increasing incidence and mortality in recent years. Therefore, the aim of the study is identify possible risk factors related to BC...
- [Exposure to lead among 6-12 year-old children]C Jiménez-Gutiérrez
Centro de Investigación en Sistemas de Salud, Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública INSP, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 41:S72-81. 1999..To identify exposure factors contributing to lead poisoning in school children from Mexico City...
- [Evolution of air pollution and impact on control programs in 3 megacities in Latin America]M Lacasaña-Navarro
Centro de Investigacion en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 41:203-15. 1999..Additionally, public participation is important when decisions are taken on transport policies...
- Maternal and paternal occupational exposure to agricultural work and the risk of anencephalyM Lacasana
Center for Population Health Research, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico
Occup Environ Med 63:649-56. 2006..To evaluate the association between parental occupational exposure to agricultural work and the risk of anencephaly in three Mexican states...
- Lack of association between genetic variation in G-protein-coupled receptor for asthma susceptibility and childhood asthma and atopyH Wu
Laboratory of Respiratory Biology, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Genes Immun 9:224-30. 2008..Accordingly, our results suggest that GPRA variants are not an important contributor to childhood asthma and atopy susceptibility in a Mexican population...
- Early exposure to dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene, breastfeeding and asthma at age sixJ Sunyer
Centre de Recerca en Epidemiologia Ambiental, Institut Municipal Investigacio Medica, Catalonia, Spain
Clin Exp Allergy 36:1236-41. 2006....
- Antioxidant supplementation and nasal inflammatory responses among young asthmatics exposed to high levels of ozoneJ J Sienra-Monge
Hospital Infantil de Mexico, Federico Gomez, Mexico
Clin Exp Immunol 138:317-22. 2004..Our data suggest that vitamin C and E supplementation above the minimum dietary requirement in asthmatic children with a low intake of vitamin E might provide some protection against the nasal acute inflammatory response to ozone...
- Mediterranean diet is associated with reduced asthma and rhinitis in Mexican childrenJ de Batlle
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology CREAL, Barcelona, Spain
Allergy 63:1310-6. 2008..We assessed whether the adherence to a Mediterranean dietary pattern, for children in the last 12 months and their mothers during pregnancy, was associated with both childhood asthma and allergic rhinitis...
- [Prevalence of asthma and other allergic diseases in school children from Juarez City, Chihuahua]A Barraza-Villarreal
, Avenida Universidad 655, , 62508 Cuernavaca, Morelos,
Salud Publica Mex 43:433-43. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of medically diagnosed and symptomatic asthma was relatively low in comparison with findings from others studies that use similar methods, but the prevalence rates of rhinitis and eczema were higher...
- Effect of maternal lead burden on infant weight and weight gain at one month of age among breastfed infantsL H Sanin
Centro de Investigaciones en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Pediatrics 107:1016-23. 2001..However, the effect of maternal lead burden on growth in breastfed newborns is still unknown. This study examined early postnatal growth in a cohort of healthy breastfed newborns in relation to maternal bone lead burden...
- Mediterranean diet in pregnancy is protective for wheeze and atopy in childhoodL Chatzi
Department of Social Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, PO Box 2208, Heraklion, 71003, Crete, Greece
Thorax 63:507-13. 2008..The authors evaluated the impact of maternal (during pregnancy) and child adherence to a Mediterranean diet on asthma and atopy in childhood...
- Health expectancy indicatorsJ M Robine
INSERM, Centre Val d Aurelle, Montpellier, France
Bull World Health Organ 77:181-5. 1999..An outline is presented of progress in the development of health expectancy indicators, which are growing in importance as a means of assessing the health status of populations and determining public health priorities...