- Modelling the dynamics of West Nile VirusGustavo Cruz-Pacheco
IIMAS, UNAM, Mexico, D F 04510, Mexico
Bull Math Biol 67:1157-72. 2005..Using experimental and field data we estimate R0 for several species of birds. Numerical simulations of the temporal course of the infected bird proportion show damped oscillations approaching the endemic value...
- A model for dengue disease with variable human populationL Esteva
Departamento de Matematicas, Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM, C U, Mexico, D F
J Math Biol 38:220-40. 1999..We prove the global asymptotic stability of the equilibrium points using the theory of competitive systems, compound matrices, and the center manifold theorem...
- Influence of vertical and mechanical transmission on the dynamics of dengue diseaseL Esteva
Departamento de Matematicas, Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM, D F 04510, Mexico, Mexico
Math Biosci 167:51-64. 2000..We consider vertical and mechanical transmission in the vector population, and study the effects that they have on the dynamics of the disease. A qualitative analysis as well as some numerical examples are given for the model...
- Coexistence of different serotypes of dengue virusLourdes Esteva
Departamento de Matematicas, Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM, Mexico, D F 04510
J Math Biol 46:31-47. 2003..We discuss conditions for the asymptotic stability of equilibria, supported by analytical and numerical methods. We find that coexistence of both serotypes is possible for a large range of parameters...
- Mathematical model to assess the control of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes by the sterile insect techniqueLourdes Esteva
Departamento de Matematicas, Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM 04510 México, D F, Mexico
Math Biosci 198:132-47. 2005..We discuss the suitability of this release technique when applied to peri-domestically adapted Aedes aegypti mosquitoes which are transmissors of Yellow Fever and Dengue disease...
- Modelling parasitism and predation of mosquitoes by water mitesLourdes Esteva
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM, 04510, Mexico, D F, Mexico
J Math Biol 53:540-55. 2006..We discuss the different scenarios that appear when we change the parasitism and predation parameters. High rates of parasitism and moderate predation can drive two species to a stable coexistence...
- Seasonality and outbreaks in West Nile virus infectionGustavo Cruz-Pacheco
IIMAS, UNAM, Mexico City 04510, Mexico
Bull Math Biol 71:1378-93. 2009..Using experimental data we present specific cases where this phenomenon is numerically observed...
- Within-host population dynamics of antibiotic-resistant M. tuberculosisJustino Alavez Ramírez
División Académica de Ciencias Básicas, Universidad Juarez Autonoma de Tabasco, Cunduacán 86690, Tabasco, Mexico
Math Med Biol 24:35-56. 2007..However, for severe immune deficiency, the use of two drugs will provide a larger time period before the emergence of resistance. Therefore, in this case, two-drugs treatment will be more efficient in controlling the infection...