- Hand hygiene compliance rates in the United States--a one-year multicenter collaboration using product/volume usage measurement and feedback
McGuckin Methods International, Ardmore PA, USA
Am J Med Qual 24:205-13. 2009
..ICU, P = .0119; non-ICU, P < .001). HH compliance in the United States can increase when monitoring is combined with feedback. However, HH still occurs at or below 50% compli- ance for both ICUs and non-ICUs...
- Patient empowerment and hand hygiene, 1997-2012
McGuckin Methods International, Ardmore, PA 19003, USA
J Hosp Infect 84:191-9. 2013
..However, the question still remains, do we have enough information to determine if, and under what conditions, patients will be able to play an immediate role in healthcare workers' hand hygiene behaviour?..
- Interventional patient hygiene model: Infection control and nursing share responsibility for patient safety
McGuckin Methods International, Inc, Ardmore, PA 19003, USA
Am J Infect Control 36:59-62. 2008
..This practice form will provide evidence-based information for each of the components of IPH model and provide a strategy for the development, implementation, and monitoring of IPH protocols...
- Public reporting of healthcare-associated infections: epidemiologists' perspectives
McGuckin Methods International, Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 34:1201-3. 2013
..Respondents believed consumers are unaware and do not consider the information important, but they indicated that epidemiologists have a role in consumer education. ..
- Patient empowerment and multimodal hand hygiene promotion: a win-win strategy
McGuckin Methods International, Ardmore, PA, USA
Am J Med Qual 26:10-7. 2011
- Patient empowerment begins with knowledge: consumer perceptions and knowledge sources for hand hygiene compliance rates
Health Service Research Division, McGuckin Methods International, Ardmore, PA Electronic address
Am J Infect Control 42:1106-8. 2014
..Our findings suggest that an organized plan of disclosure about hand hygiene rates may be a way to empower through knowledge. ..
- MRSA and VRSA in wound care: accept the challenge
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Adv Skin Wound Care 17:93-5. 2004
- Consumer attitudes about health care-acquired infections and hand hygiene
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, USA
Am J Med Qual 21:342-6. 2006
..Our findings strongly suggest that (1) consumers will use infection data in selecting and/or leaving a hospital system and (2) consumers are ready to be empowered with information to ensure a positive outcome...
- Re: Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in Argentina, by Rosenthal et al
Am J Infect Control 34:467. 2006
- Evaluation of a patient education model for increasing hand hygiene compliance in an inpatient rehabilitation unit
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 4283, USA
Am J Infect Control 32:235-8. 2004
..The objective of this study is to determine the effect of a patient education model on hand hygiene (HH) compliance in a rehabilitation unit...
- Reduction in nosocomial infection with improved hand hygiene in intensive care units of a tertiary care hospital in Argentina
Am J Infect Control 34:329. 2006
- The effect of random voice hand hygiene messages delivered by medical, nursing, and infection control staff on hand hygiene compliance in intensive care
School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Infect Control 34:673-5. 2006
..Compliance measured through product usage and reported as HH/bed-days increased by 60% for soap and sanitizer combined and 25% for sanitizer usage (P < 001)...
- A descriptive review of malpractice claims for health care-acquired infections in Philadelphia
John L Guinan
School of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Infect Control 33:310-2. 2005
..Plaintiffs prevail in 44% of verdicts in Philadelphia compared with 20% for all US jury verdicts, with 24% of awarded verdicts in excess of $1 million...
- "Cannot detect a change" is not the same as "there is not a change"
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:576-7; author reply 580-2. 2008
- Healthcare facilities should include patients in their compliance program
Crit Care Med 32:1446-7; author reply 1447. 2004
- Management of health-care--associated infections in the oncology patient
John L Guinan
University of Pennsylvania, School of Arts and Science, Young Scholars Program, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 17:415-20; discussion 423-6. 2003
..This paper will review each of these risk factors and discuss preventive steps such as a predictive index, antibiotic therapy, and infection control practices...
- The clinical relevance of microbiology in acute and chronic wounds
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine and Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Adv Skin Wound Care 16:12-23; quiz 24-5. 2003
..2. Identify methods of debridement and wounds for which they are appropriate. 3. Identify systemic antibiotic treatment options for acute and chronic wound infections...
- The effect of a comprehensive handwashing program on absenteeism in elementary schools
Agnes Irwin School, Rosemont, PA, USA
Am J Infect Control 30:217-20. 2002
..6% lower in the test group (P <.001). The data strongly suggest that a hand hygiene program that combines education and use of a hand sanitizer in the classroom can lower absenteeism and be cost-effective...