- The impact of growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-I axis and nocturnal breathing disorders on cardiovascular features of adult patients with Prader-Willi syndrome
Department of General Medicine, Ospedale S Giuseppe, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Casella Postale 1, Verbania, Italy I 28921
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5639-46. 2005
..9 +/- 1.2 yr) and 13 age-, gender-, and body mass index-matched obese individuals (age 26.2 +/- 0.8 yr)...
- Predictors of postabsorptive ghrelin secretion after intake of different macronutrients
Division of General Medicine, Ospedale San Giuseppe, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Casella Postale 1, I 28921 Verbania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4124-30. 2006
..Release of ghrelin, a gastrointestinal hormone regulating feeding and energy balance, is blunted in obesity, a condition associated with insulin resistance...
- Conditional cardiovascular response to growth hormone therapy in adult patients with Prader-Willi syndrome
Department of General Medicine, Ospedale S Giuseppe Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Casella Postale 1, I 28921 Verbania, and Department of Medical Sciences, University of Padua, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1364-71. 2007
..In Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS), an altered GH secretion has been related to reduced cardiac mass and systolic function when compared with controls...
- The relationship between active ghrelin levels and human obesity involves alterations in resting energy expenditure
Operative Unit of Internal Medicine, Ospedale S Giuseppe, Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Istituto Auxologico Italiano, 28921 Verbania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:936-9. 2004
..The observation that ghrelin is further decreased in cases of abnormal energy profit adds new evidence to the relationship between ghrelin activity and energy balance in obesity...
- Lack of association between the tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism in the 3'-flanking region of the leptin gene and hypertension in severely obese patients
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Ospedale San Giuseppe, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Verbania, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:776-80. 2006
..These findings are in contrast with that reported in other populations. However, we cannot rule out that different ethnicity and/or phenotypic variability might mask small effects...
- Growth hormone therapy improves exercise capacity in adult patients with Prader-Willi syndrome
L A Gondoni
Division of Cardiac Rehabilitation, S Giuseppe Hospital, Research Institute, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Verbania, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 31:765-72. 2008
..Altered body composition in PWS resembles that seen in subjects with GH deficiency, in which a reduction of lean body mass (LBM) is observed. The low LBM may contribute to the reduced motor skills seen in PWS patients...
- Impairment of GH responsiveness to combined GH-releasing hormone and arginine administration in adult patients with Prader-Willi syndrome
Department of Auxology, S Giuseppe Hospital, Research Institute, Italian Auxological Institute Foundation, Verbania, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:492-9. 2006
..The aim of our study was to investigate the prevalence of GHD in a large group of adult subjects with genetically confirmed PWS...
- Growth hormone secretion among adult patients with Prader-Willi syndrome due to different genetic subtypes
Division of Auxology, S Giuseppe Hospital, Research Institute, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Verbania, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:493-7. 2011
..Few data are currently available on the relationship existing between endocrine abnormalities in PWS subjects and the different genotypes...
- The effects of somatostatin analogs on biochemical parameters in acromegaly
Department of General Medicine, Ospedale S Giuseppe, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Verbania, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 26:46-9. 2003
- The association of fasting insulin concentrations and colonic neoplasms in acromegaly: a colonoscopy-based study in 210 patients
Department of Molecular, Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinilogy, University Federico II of Naples, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3854-60. 2007
..Hyperinsulinemia is associated with colon carcinoma in the general population. Patients with acromegaly are considered to be at risk for developing colonic lesions and typically have hyperinsulinemia...
- Deep subcutaneous adipose tissue: a distinct abdominal adipose depot
Gillian E Walker
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Via L Cadorna, 90, Piancavallo, VB 28921, Italy
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1933-43. 2007
..The aim of this study was to evaluate depot-specific differences in the expression of proteins key to adipocyte metabolism in a lean population to establish a potential physiologic role for dSAT...
- Leptin concentrations in GH deficiency: the effect of GH insensitivity
Department of Pediatrics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:540-5. 2002
..These data demonstrate that leptin is increased in patients affected with long-standing homozygous GHI, probably reflecting abnormalities of body composition and metabolism typical of this condition...
- Evaluation of a multisensor armband in estimating energy expenditure in obese individuals
Department of Internal Medicine, Democritus University of Thrace Medical School, University Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:2217-23. 2006
..To examine the reliability and validity of the SenseWear Pro 2 Armband (SWA; Body Media, Pittsburgh, PA) during rest and exercise compared with indirect calorimetry (IC) in obese individuals...
- Reversal of acromegalic cardiomyopathy in young but not in middle-aged patients after 12 months of treatment with the depot long-acting somatostatin analogue octreotide
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, Napoli, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:169-76. 2003
..Cardiovascular disease is the most frequent cause of death of patients with acromegaly...
- Baseline/postnitrate tetrofosmin SPECT for myocardial viability assessment in patients with postischemic severe left ventricular dysfunction: new evidence from MRI
Institute of Clinical Physiology, National Research Council, Pisa, Italy
J Nucl Med 46:1285-93. 2005
..The aim of this study was to compare (99m)Tc-tetrofosmin SPECT with contrast-enhanced MRI (ceMRI), a new direct sign of myocardial fibrosis...
- Severe impairment of bone mass and turnover in Cushing's disease: comparison between childhood-onset and adulthood-onset disease
Carolina Di Somma
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, CNR Biomorphological and Functional Sciences, Federico II University of Naples and Servizio di Endocrinologia Pediatrica, Ospedale Regionale per le Microcitemie, Cagliari, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 56:153-8. 2002
..Osteoporosis is an important, frequently unrecognized consequence of hypercortisolism...
- Whole-body evaluation of MIBG tissue extraction in a mouse model of long-lasting type II diabetes and its relationship with norepinephrine transport protein concentration
Institute of Clinical Physiology CNR, Pisa, Italy
J Nucl Med 49:1701-6. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate in a mouse model of long-lasting type II diabetes whether the mismatch between MIBG early uptake and washout is the consequence of a more generalized disorder of the autonomic nervous system...
- 'False-positive' myocardial perfusion imaging: correlation with cardiovascular risk factors and effect on event-free survival
CNR, Clinical Physiology Institute, Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 9:707-13. 2008
..Our goal was to investigate how false-positive g-SPECT perfusion abnormalities relate to cardiovascular risk factors and whether they provide any prognostic information...
- High prevalence of cardiac valve disease in acromegaly: an observational, analytical, case-control study
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, 80123 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:3196-201. 2003
- NT-proBNP, IGF-I and survival in patients with chronic heart failure
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Heart and Immunological Sciences, Section of Internal Medicine, University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Growth Horm IGF Res 17:288-96. 2007
..In this study, we aimed to determine in CHF patients the prognostic value of IGF-I/GH ratio and its relationships with N-terminal brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP), a known marker of prognosis in these patients...
- Acromegalic axial arthropathy: a clinical case-control study
Department of Clinical Medicine, Section of Rheumatology, Federico II University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:598-603. 2004
..An early diagnosis of acromegaly is mandatory to reduce the severity of spine abnormalities as they were significantly higher in patients with longer disease duration...
- Systemic complications of acromegaly: epidemiology, pathogenesis, and management
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
Endocr Rev 25:102-52. 2004
..Finally, the most important cause of morbidity and functional disability of the disease is arthropathy, which can be reversed at an initial stage, but not if the disease is left untreated for several years...
- Nuclear imaging after cell implantation
Nuclear Cardiology, CNR Institutes of Clinical Physiology, Pisa, Italy
Int J Cardiol 95:S53-4. 2004
..Since no currently available method is able to determine engraftment into the myocardium or stem cell differentiation in a living patient, the evidence of stem cell therapy efficacy is in all cases indirect...
- Extension of myocardial necrosis differently affects MIBG retention in heart failure caused by ischaemic heart disease or by dilated cardiomyopathy
CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Via G Moruzzi 1, 56124, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 32:682-8. 2005
..This study aims to investigate the relationship between cardiac sympathetic nervous function (CSNF) and myocardial perfusion/function in patients with heart failure (HF) due to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) or ischaemic heart disease (CAD)...
- Coronary microcirculatory vasoconstriction is heterogeneously distributed in acutely ischemic myocardium
Institute of Clinical Physiology, Italian National Research Council, Pisa, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H2298-305. 2005
..02). In conclusion, the vasoconstrictor response to pacing-induced ischemia is heterogeneously distributed and excludes a tissue fraction from perfusion. Within perfused tissue, the metabolic demand still controls the vasomotor tone...
- Cardiac imaging improves risk stratification in high-risk patients undergoing surgical revascularization
Nuclear Cardiology, CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Via Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 7:51-6. 2006
..The aim of this study was to analyse the impact of different imaging variables in predicting perioperative mortality...
- Safety and efficacy of therapy with botulinum toxin in obesity: a pilot study
Divisions of Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Rehabilitation, IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, P O Box 1, I 28044, Piancavallo Verbania, Italy
J Gastroenterol 40:833-5. 2005
..Botulin toxin (BTX) has been proposed as a potential obesity treatment...
- A fast and effective method to assess myocardial necrosis by means of contrast magnetic resonance imaging
CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 7:487-94. 2005
..Yet there are no software tools that can effectively quantify such an area. The aim of this study is to develop a robust and effective algorithmic method for defining the extent of myocardial necrosis evidenced through CMR...
- Effect of gender and gonadal status on the long-term response to somatostatin analogue treatment in acromegaly
Departments of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:342-9. 2005
..GH and IGF-I secretion is related to gender and age...