- Influence of perceived difficulty of cases on physicians' diagnostic reasoning
Faculty of Social Sciences, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acad Med 83:1210-6. 2008
..The conditions inducing doctors to reflect are largely unknown. The authors investigated whether a shift to reflection occurs when physicians perceive a case as problematic, and its effects on diagnostic accuracy...
- Effects of reflective practice on the accuracy of medical diagnoses
Department of Psychology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Med Educ 42:468-75. 2008
..Empirical evidence supporting this suggestion, however, is absent. This paper reports on an experiment conducted to study the effects of reflective practice on diagnostic accuracy...
- Breaking down automaticity: case ambiguity and the shift to reflective approaches in clinical reasoning
Center for Research Development, School of Public Health of the State of Ceará, Fortaleza, Brazil
Med Educ 41:1185-92. 2007
..This paper reports a study aimed at exploring these conditions by investigating the effects of ambiguity of clinical cases on clinical reasoning...
- Accepting diagnostic suggestions by residents: a potential cause of diagnostic error in medicine
Kees van den Berge
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Teach Learn Med 24:149-54. 2012
..Psychological research has shown that people tend toward accepting rather than refuting hypotheses. Diagnostic suggestions may evoke such confirmatory tendencies in physicians, which may lead to diagnostic errors...
- Exploring the role of salient distracting clinical features in the emergence of diagnostic errors and the mechanisms through which reflection counteracts mistakes
Department of Psychology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, T13 33, 3062 PA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMJ Qual Saf 21:295-300. 2012
..Deliberate reflection has been shown to improve diagnoses. The sources of faulty reasoning and how reflection counteracts them remain largely unknown...
- Effect of availability bias and reflective reasoning on diagnostic accuracy among internal medicine residents
Department of Psychology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, Rotterdam, 3062 PA, The Netherlands
JAMA 304:1198-203. 2010
..Diagnostic errors have been associated with bias in clinical reasoning. Empirical evidence on the cognitive mechanisms underlying biases and effectiveness of educational strategies to counteract them is lacking...
- Diagnostic errors and reflective practice in medicine
Innovare Institute, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
J Eval Clin Pract 13:138-45. 2007
..The literature has indicated the capability of critically reflecting upon one's own practice as a key requirement for developing and maintaining medical expertise throughout life...
- Conscious thought beats deliberation without attention in diagnostic decision-making: at least when you are an expert
Department of Psychology T13 33, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50, 3062 PA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Res 74:586-92. 2010
..In contrast, deliberation-without-attention improved novices' decisions, but only in simple problems. Experts benefit from consciously thinking about complex problems; for novices thinking does not help in those cases...
- Reflection as a strategy to foster medical students' acquisition of diagnostic competence
Department of Psychology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Med Educ 46:464-72. 2012
..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of structured reflection compared with the generation of immediate or differential diagnosis while practising with clinical cases on learning clinical diagnosis...
- Correlates of reflective practice in medicine
Innovare Institute, Centre of Educational Development, Medical School, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 10:327-37. 2005
..Factors associated to reflective practice among physicians have, as far as we know, not yet been explored by empirical study...
- The structure of reflective practice in medicine
Innovare Institute, Fortaleza, Cear, Brazil
Med Educ 38:1302-8. 2004
..In addition, training students to apply reflective practices may become a goal in medical education...
- Innovations in problem-based learning: what can we learn from recent studies?
Innovare Institute, Av Alvaro Correia, 455, 802 A, Fortaleza, CEP 60 165 230, Ceara, Brazil
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 11:403-22. 2006
..The contributions provided by the papers are discussed in the light of pertinent literature and also in relation to their companion articles in this issue when indicated...