Sai Kit Lam
Affiliation: University of Malaya
- Nipah virus encephalitis outbreak in MalaysiaSai Kit Lam
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Clin Infect Dis 34:S48-51. 2002..The Island flying fox (Pteropus hypomelanus; the fruit bat) is a likely reservoir of this virus. The outbreak in Malaysia was controlled through the culling of >1 million pigs...
- Isolation of Nipah virus from Malaysian Island flying-foxesKaw Bing Chua
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Lumpur, Kuala, Malaysia
Microbes Infect 4:145-51. 2002..The isolation of Nipah virus from the Island flying-fox corroborates the serological evidence that it is one of the natural hosts of the virus...
- Nipah virus--a potential agent of bioterrorism?Sai Kit Lam
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Antiviral Res 57:113-9. 2003..From pigs, the virus was also transmitted to other animals such as dogs, cats, and horses. The Nipah virus has the potential to be considered an agent of bioterrorism...
- Preventive transfusion in Dengue shock syndrome-is it necessary?Lucy Chai See Lum
Department of Pediatrics, University of Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Pediatr 143:682-4. 2003..05) and none in hemorrhage (P=.136) were observed. Preventive transfusions did not produce sustained improvements in the coagulation status in DSS...
- Nipah virus infection: pathology and pathogenesis of an emerging paramyxoviral zoonosisKum Thong Wong
University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Am J Pathol 161:2153-67. 2002..Infection of endothelial cells and neurons as well as vasculitis and thrombosis seem to be critical to the pathogenesis of this new human disease...
- Neurovirulence of four encephalitogenic dengue 3 virus strains isolated in Malaysia (1992-1994) is not attributed to their envelope proteinMun Yik Fong
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:379-81. 2004..Multiple sequence alignment revealed a high degree of similarity in the E protein of the strains suggesting that neurovirulence of these four encephalitogenic strains is not attributed to this protein...
- A golden hamster model for human acute Nipah virus infectionK Thong Wong
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Am J Pathol 163:2127-37. 2003..The golden hamster is proposed as a suitable model for further studies including pathogenesis studies, anti-viral drug testing, and vaccine development against acute Nipah infection...
- Localization of dengue virus in naturally infected human tissues, by immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridizationKala Jessie
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Infect Dis 189:1411-8. 2004..Positive-strand viral RNA was detected in the same IHC-positive cells found in the spleen and blood-clot samples. The strong, positive ISH signal in these cells indicated a high copy number of viral RNA, suggesting replication...
- Preparing for introduction of a dengue vaccine: recommendations from the 1st Dengue v2V Asia-Pacific MeetingSai Kit Lam
Office of the Vice Chancellor, University of Malaya, Jalan Pantai Baru, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Vaccine 29:9417-22. 2011....
- Risk factors for hemorrhage in severe dengue infectionsLucy Chai See Lum
Department of Pediatrics, University of Malaya Medical Center, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Pediatr 140:629-31. 2002..The duration of shock (OR, 2.11; 95% CI, 1.13 to 3.92; P =.019) and low-normal hematocrit at the time of shock (OR, 0.72; 95% CI, 0.55 to 0.95; P =.020) were risk factors of severe hemorrhage...
- Challenges in reducing dengue burden; diagnostics, control measures and vaccinesSai Kit Lam
Office of the Vice Chancellor, University of Malaya, Jalan Pantai Baru, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 60 17 8800044 60 37 7259635
Expert Rev Vaccines 12:995-1010. 2013..Vaccine introduction is a complex process that requires consideration and is discussed here. This review discusses the epidemiology, burden and pathogenesis of dengue, as well as the vaccine candidates currently in clinical development. ..
- Echovirus 7 associated encephalomyelitisLucy Chai See Lum
Department of Pediatrics, University of Malaya Medical Center, 50603, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Virol 23:153-60. 2002..In 2000, an outbreak of HFMD resulted in the deaths of three children who had rapid cardio-respiratory decompensation and one child who survived a central nervous system infection...
- Membrane fusion tropism and heterotypic functional activities of the Nipah virus and Hendra virus envelope glycoproteinsKatharine N Bossart
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
J Virol 76:11186-98. 2002..However, no heterotypic activity was observed with envelope glycoproteins of the morbilliviruses Measles virus and Canine distemper virus...