Affiliation: University of Malaya
- Tan K, Tan Y, Chang L, Lee K, Nore S, Yee W, et al. Full genome SNP-based phylogenetic analysis reveals the origin and global spread of Brucella melitensis. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:93 pubmed publisher..melitensis following the ancient trade routes was also consistent with whole-genome SNP phylogeny. The whole genome SNP phylogenetics analysis, hence is a powerful tool for intraspecies discrimination of closely related species. ..
- Khoo J, Chen F, Kho K, Ahmad Shanizza A, Lim F, Tan K, et al. Bacterial community in Haemaphysalis ticks of domesticated animals from the Orang Asli communities in Malaysia. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2016;7:929-937 pubmed publisher..The role of the herein found Coxiella and Rickettsia in tick physiology or disease transmission merits further investigation. ..
- Loong S, Khor C, Jafar F, AbuBakar S. Utility of 16S rDNA Sequencing for Identification of Rare Pathogenic Bacteria. J Clin Lab Anal. 2016;30:1056-1060 pubmed publisher..The 16S rDNA sequencing method, however, does have limitation for species-level identification of some bacteria highlighting the need for better bacterial pathogen identification tools. ..
- Wong L, Alias H, Aghamohammadi N, Sam I, AbuBakar S. The Self-Regulation Model of Illness: Comparison between Zika and Dengue and Its Application to Predict Mosquito Prevention Behaviours in Malaysia, a Dengue-Endemic Country. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed..Understanding the context in which a person perceives ZIKV may contribute to developing interventions that influence prevention behaviours. ..
- Tan K, Zulkifle N, Sulaiman S, Pang S, NorAmdan N, MatRahim N, et al. Emergence of the Asian lineage dengue virus type 3 genotype III in Malaysia. BMC Evol Biol. 2018;18:58 pubmed publisher..Malaysia, however, serves as one of the sources of the recent regional spread of DENV3/III-C3 within the Asia region. ..
- Zandi K, Lim T, Rahim N, Shu M, Teoh B, Sam S, et al. Extract of Scutellaria baicalensis inhibits dengue virus replication. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:91 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we evaluated the in vitro antiviral activity of aqueous extract of the roots of S. baicalensis against all the four dengue virus (DENV) serotypes...
- Shu M, Appleton D, Zandi K, AbuBakar S. Anti-inflammatory, gastroprotective and anti-ulcerogenic effects of red algae Gracilaria changii (Gracilariales, Rhodophyta) extract. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:61 pubmed publisher..The aim of the study was to investigate anti-inflammatory, gastroprotective and anti-ulcerogenic activities of a mass spectrometry standardized methanolic extract of Gracilaria changii...
- AbuBakar S, Chang L, Ali A, Sharifah S, Yusoff K, Zamrod Z. Isolation and molecular identification of Nipah virus from pigs. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:2228-30 pubmed..At least two different Nipah virus strains, including a previously unreported strain, were identified. The findings highlight the possibility that the Malaysia outbreaks had two origins of Nipah virus infections...
- Teoh B, Sam S, Tan K, Johari J, Danlami M, Hooi P, et al. Detection of dengue viruses using reverse transcription-loop-mediated isothermal amplification. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:387 pubmed publisher..The RT-LAMP assay developed in this study is sensitive, specific and simple to perform. The assay improved the detection of dengue when used in combination with serological methods. ..
- Mohamad Zamberi Z, Zakaria Z, Abdul Aziz A, Heng B, Zaid M, Chong C, et al. The high-affinity human IgG receptor Fc gamma receptor I (Fc?RI) is not associated with vascular leakage of dengue. J Negat Results Biomed. 2015;14:1 pubmed publisher..777). We suggest that Fc?RI is not associated with the vascular leakage in dengue. However, further studies are necessary to delineate the role of Fc?RI in antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) mechanism. ..
- Tan K, Zulkifle N, Abd Jamil J, Sulaiman S, Yaacob C, Azizan N, et al. Disruption of predicted dengue virus type 3 major outbreak cycle coincided with switching of the dominant circulating virus genotype. Infect Genet Evol. 2017;54:271-275 pubmed publisher..Further studies and continuous monitoring of the virus are needed for better understanding of the DENV transmission dynamics in hyperendemic regions. ..
- Wong L, Alias H, Hassan J, AbuBakar S. Attitudes towards Zika screening and vaccination acceptability among pregnant women in Malaysia. Vaccine. 2017;35:5912-5917 pubmed publisher..Should the vaccine be available in the future, publicity and healthcare providers would play a vital role in ensuring vaccine uptake among pregnant women. ..