- Serum amyloid alpha in parapneumonic effusions
Respiratory Department, University Hospital of Larissa, Biopolis, Larissa, Greece
Mediators Inflamm 2011:237638. 2011
..To assess serum amyloid alpha (SAA) pleural fluid levels in parapneumonic effusion (PPE) and to investigate SAA diagnostic performance in PPE diagnosis and outcome...
- Simultaneous existence of two different endobronchial disorders diagnosed by bronchoscopy
Dimosthenis A Makris
Respiratory Department, Agios Georgios General Hospital, Canea, Greece
Respiration 72:89. 2005
- The impact of COPD on ICU mortality in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia
Intensive Care Unit, Calmette Hospital, University Hospital of Lille, boulevard du Pr Leclercq, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Respir Med 105:1022-9. 2011
..To determine the impact of COPD on intensive care unit (ICU) mortality in patients with VAP...
- Increased apoptosis of neutrophils in induced sputum of COPD patients
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete, Medical School, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Respir Med 103:1130-5. 2009
..The aim of the current study was to evaluate apoptosis in induced sputum neutrophils and to investigate the relationship between the number of apoptotic cells and clinical parameters in COPD patients...
- COPD exacerbation: lost in translation
Department of Pneumonology, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
BMC Pulm Med 9:6. 2009
..However, the introduction of a test that reflects airway or systemic inflammation in the diagnosis of exacerbations might be another step forward in the management of COPD...
- Tc2 response at the onset of COPD exacerbations
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University Hospital, Medical School, University of Larisa, Larisa, Greece
Chest 134:483-8. 2008
..T lymphocytes and especially the subpopulations of CD8+ cells are believed to have a key role in COPD pathophysiology, but there are only few data regarding the role of these cells in COPD exacerbation...
- Fatal interstitial lung disease associated with oral erlotinib therapy for lung cancer
Pulmonary and Thoracic Oncology Department, CHRU of Lille, Lille, France
BMC Cancer 7:150. 2007
..The authors report the first histologically confirmed case of fatal ILD associated with erlotinib therapy...
- Exhaled breath condensate 8-isoprostane, clinical parameters, radiological indices and airway inflammation in COPD
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece
Respiration 75:138-44. 2008
..However, the relation between EBC 8-isoprostane and parameters which have a known predictive value in COPD, remains vastly unknown, and so does subsequently its clinical value...
- Haemothorax after pig-tail catheter removal in a patient with primary spontaneous pneumothorax
Clinique des Maladies Respiratoires, Hopital Albert Calmette, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire de Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex1, France
Emerg Med J 24:e17. 2007
- Exacerbations and lung function decline in COPD: new insights in current and ex-smokers
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete, Medical School, 71110 Heraklion, Greece
Respir Med 101:1305-12. 2007
..Spirometry was performed every 6 months. The effect of frequent exacerbations on lung function was investigated using random effects models...
- Dyspnea assessment and adverse events during sputum induction in COPD
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete, Medical School, Heraklion, Greece
BMC Pulm Med 6:17. 2006
..Our aim was to assess dyspnea and adverse events in COPD patients who undergo SI following a safety protocol...
- Risk factors for the first episode of Klebsiella pneumoniae resistant to carbapenems infection in critically ill patients: a prospective study
Department of Critical Care, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, University Hospital of Larissa, 41110 Thessaly, Greece
Biomed Res Int 2013:850547. 2013
..Clinical and microbiologic data were studied. Characteristics of KPRC patients were compared with those of critically ill patients who presented nonmultidrug resistant (MDR) bacterial infections or no documented infection at all...
- Ventilator-associated tracheobronchitis increases the length of intensive care unit stay
Department of Critical Care, University Hospital of Larissa, School of Medicine of the University of Thessaly, Biopolis, Larissa, Greece
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 34:800-8. 2013
..To investigate prospectively the clinical course and risk factors for ventilator-associated tracheobronchitis (VAT) and the impact of VAT on intensive care unit (ICU) morbidity and mortality...
- Bundle of measures for external cerebral ventricular drainage-associated ventriculitis
1Department of Critical Care Medicine, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece 2Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Crit Care Med 42:66-73. 2014
- Intensive Care Unit-acquired infection as a side effect of sedation
Intensive Care Unit, Calmette Hospital, University Hospital of Lille, boulevard du Pr Leclercq, Lille Cedex, France
Crit Care 14:R30. 2010
- Inhaled antibiotics for nosocomial pneumonia
University of Thessaly, Biopolis, Greece
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 11:116-23. 2012
..However, in respect of the sparity of data larger randomized trial are needed to shed more light in this promising form of treatment...
- Laboratory markers for COPD in "susceptible" smokers
Eleni G Tzortzaki
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete, Medical School, 71110 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Clin Chim Acta 364:124-38. 2006
..This review summarizes recent research on potential laboratory markers in smokers and subsequent COPD development...
- Growth retardation, reduced invasiveness, and impaired colistin-mediated cell death associated with colistin resistance development in Acinetobacter baumannii
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:828-32. 2014
..These observations indicate considerably lower invasiveness of A. baumannii clinical isolates following the development of colistin resistance. ..
- Combined intravenous and intraventricular administration of colistin methanesulfonate in critically ill patients with central nervous system infection
Critical Care Department, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:1938-40. 2013
..05) and in EVDVcomb compared to all other patients (P < 0.0001). CSF colistin concentrations above the MIC of 0.5 μg/ml were achieved only in EVDVcomb patients...
- Tracheobronchial stenting and central airway replacement
Clinique des Maladies Respiratoires, CHRU, Lille, France
Curr Opin Pulm Med 13:278-83. 2007
..The present paper reviews the recent literature on the management of malignant large airway obstruction using tracheobronchial stenting and airway replacement by aortic allografts...
- [Management of pneumothorax]
Clinique des Maladies Respiratoires, Hopital Albert Calmette, CHRU de Lille, 59037 Lille
Rev Prat 57:503-11. 2007
..Pleurodesis aims to prevent recurrences (about 30% of PSP) and can be obtained either with talc poudrage, pleural abrasion or surgical pleurectomy...
- Tracheal replacement with cryopreserved allogenic aorta
Critical Care Department, University Hospital Larisa, University of Thessaly, Larisa, Greece
Chest 137:60-7. 2010
..Radical resection of primary tracheal tumors may be challenging when more than one-half of the tracheal length is concerned. The present study evaluated the use of cryopreserved aortic allografts (CAAs) to replace long tracheal segments...
- Effect of pravastatin on the frequency of ventilator-associated pneumonia and on intensive care unit mortality: open-label, randomized study
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Crit Care Med 39:2440-6. 2011
..To investigate whether the use of pravastatin reduces the frequency of ventilator-associated pneumonia and whether it is related to favorable outcomes in critical care patients...
- Vibration response imaging: evaluation of rater agreement in healthy subjects and subjects with pneumonia
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University Hospital Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
BMC Med Imaging 10:6. 2010
..We evaluated pulmonologists variability in the interpretation of Vibration response imaging (VRI) obtained from healthy subjects and patients hospitalized for community acquired pneumonia...
- Contrast-induced nephropathy in aged critically ill patients
Department of Critical Care, Surgical Department, University Hospital of Larissa, Biopolis, 41110 Larissa, Greece
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2014:756469. 2014
..Aging is associated with renal structural changes and functional decline. The attributable risk for renal dysfunction from radiocontrast agents in critically ill older patients has not been well established...
- Intensive care unit dissemination of multiple clones of linezolid-resistant Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:1819-23. 2012
..Outbreaks caused by linezolid-resistant (LR) enterococci remain rare. We report the epidemiological and molecular characteristics of the multiclonal dissemination of LR enterococci in the intensive care unit (ICU) of a Greek hospital...
- Respiratory muscle strength and lung function in patients undergoing medical thoracoscopy
Marios E Froudarakis
Department of Pneumonology, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Respiration 80:220-7. 2010
..Although MT is applied by respiratory physicians who are also dealing with patients with impairment of lung function, it is surprising that there are no data concerning lung mechanics and function in this patient population...
- Cardiac and central vascular functional alterations in the acute phase of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage
Department of Critical Care, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, University Hospital of Larissa, Thessaly, Greece
Crit Care Med 40:223-32. 2012
- Different angiogenic CXC chemokine levels in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid after interferon gamma-1b therapy in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis patients
Katerina M Antoniou
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University General Hospital, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, 71110 Crete, Greece
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:840-4. 2008
- Circulating osteopontin: a dual marker of bone destruction and angiogenesis in patients with multiple myeloma
Department of Hematology, University Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece
J Hematol Oncol 4:22. 2011
..47 and 0.30 respectively, p < 0.05). These results support osteopontin as a dual marker of bone destruction and angiogenic activity in myeloma patients. Osteopontin represents a useful biomarker for monitoring myeloma disease activity...
- Nosocomial MRSA pneumonia: data from recent clinical trials
Intensive Care Unit, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Rev Recent Clin Trials 6:235-40. 2011
..Despite its pK/pD superiority over vancomycin, linezolid has to date failed to show clear advantage over vancomycin in recent clinical trials...