- Life-threatening adverse events following therapeutic opioid administration in adults: is pharmacogenetic analysis useful?
Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
Pain Res Manag 18:133-6. 2013
..The application of pharmacogenetic analysis to two cases of life-threatening opioid-induced respiratory depression is presented. The usefulness of genotyping in the context of these cases is discussed...
- Characteristics of opioid-users whose death was related to opioid-toxicity: a population-based study in Ontario, Canada
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e60600. 2013
..We aimed to identify patterns and characteristics amongst opioid-users whose cause of death was related to opioid toxicity...
- Pharmacogenetics of opioids for the treatment of acute maternal pain during pregnancy and lactation
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, M5G 1X8, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Drug Metab 13:721-7. 2012
..Studies investigating the duration of maternal CYP2D6 induction after delivery are also needed to shed light on genotype to phenotype correlations in breastfeeding mothers using opioid analgesics in the postpartum period...
- Actionable theranostics for global maternal health: a focus on HIV and malaria
Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 12:831-40. 2012
..The authors will couple these efforts to actionable and promising theranostic advancements in the detection and treatment of HIV and malaria through the lens of maternal global health strategies...
- Apnea and oxygen desaturations in children treated with opioids after adenotonsillectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: a prospective pilot study
Justin D Khetani
Department of Surgery, OtolaryngologyHead Neck Surgery Division, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Paediatr Drugs 14:411-5. 2012
..Recent case reports have alerted the medical community of fatality in children receiving codeine after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- Central nervous system depression of neonates breastfed by mothers receiving oxycodone for postpartum analgesia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 160:33-7.e2. 2012
..To quantify the incidence of central nervous system (CNS) depression in neonates breastfed by mothers medicated with oxycodone as compared with neonates whose breastfeeding mothers used codeine or acetaminophen only...
- Putative association of ABCB1 2677G>T/A with oxycodone-induced central nervous system depression in breastfeeding mothers
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Ther Drug Monit 35:466-72. 2013
..To assess the effect of maternal CYP2D6, CYP3A5, ABCB1, and OPRM1 polymorphisms in predicting both neonatal and maternal central nervous system depression after oxycodone use during lactation...
- The communication of pharmacogenetic research results: participants weigh in on their informational needs in a pilot study
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Toronto, Canada
J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol 18:e152-5. 2011
..The diversity and complexity of the questions raised support the need to communicate the results in the context of personalized genetic counselling information sessions...
- CYP2D6 polymorphisms and codeine analgesia in postpartum pain management: a pilot study
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ther Drug Monit 33:425-32. 2011
..In contrast, poor metabolizers (PMs), individuals who have no active CYP2D6 genes, convert almost no codeine into morphine and as a result may take multiple doses of codeine without attaining analgesia...
- Fatal hydrocodone overdose in a child: pharmacogenetics and drug interactions
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Pediatrics 126:e986-9. 2010
..This case highlights the interplay between pharmacogenetic factors, drug-drug interactions, and dose-related toxicity in a child...
- Tacrolimus-induced nephrotoxicity and genetic variability: a review
Violette M G J Gijsen
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Transplant 17:111-21. 2012
- A Clinical Tool for Reducing Central Nervous System Depression among Neonates Exposed to Codeine through Breast Milk
Lauren E Kelly
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada Department of Clinical Pharmacology, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada Ivey Chair in Molecular Toxicology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e70073. 2013
..The primary objective of this study was to prospectively evaluate the effectiveness of these guidelines in ensuring neonatal safety...
- Genetic transmission of cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) ultrarapid metabolism: implications for breastfeeding women taking codeine
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, and The Motherisk Program, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Drug Saf 6:36-9. 2011
- Patterns of paediatric analgesic use in Africa: a systematic review
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Paediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dis Child 97:1086-91. 2012
..2%). There were 455 suspected adverse drug reactions which included 17 deaths. Analgesic use reported in African children appears to fall short of WHO standards...
- Neonatal benzodiazepines exposure during breastfeeding
Lauren E Kelly
Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 161:448-51. 2012
..To assess central nervous system depression and other adverse effects in infants exposed to benzodiazepines through breast milk...