- The surgical hospitalist: a new model for emergency surgical care
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
J Am Coll Surg 205:704-11. 2007
..In July 2005, we restructured the general surgery service at our medical center into a hospitalist model to improve patient access to surgical care...
- The surgical hospitalist: a new solution for emergency surgical care?
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Bull Am Coll Surg 92:8-17. 2007
- Exporting excellence for Whipple resection to refine the Leapfrog Initiative
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94103, USA
J Surg Res 138:189-97. 2007
..We hypothesized that defining exportable elements of the Whipple resection could allow a low volume hospital (LVH) to improve upon its processes of care to safely attempt these procedures...
- Technique for placement of lumboperitoneal catheters using a combined laparoscopic procedure with the Seldinger micropuncture technique
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0790, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:e5-7. 2008
- Enhancing the mission of academic surgery by promoting scientific writing skills
Pamela A Derish
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0104, USA
J Surg Res 140:177-83. 2007
- Treatment of recurrent, multiloculated, obstructive hydrocephalus with suprahepatic peritoneal catheter placement
Nathan C Rowland
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0112, USA
J Clin Neurosci 20:1038-9. 2013
..We present a patient with refractory hydrocephalus in which a multishunt system with drainage into the suprahepatic space was ultimately successful in decompressing the patient's trapped ventricular spaces...
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma manifesting as an ovarian mass: case report and review of literature
Jessica E Gosnell
Department of General Surgery, San Mateo Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Endocr Pract 14:351-7. 2008
..To report the uncommon case of a woman with abdominal pain and a complex adnexal mass, who was subsequently found to have medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) metastatic to the ovary...
- A professional development course for the clinical clerkships: developing a student-centered curriculum
Laura E Hill-Sakurai
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:964-8. 2008
..Although professional development is addressed throughout the medical school curriculum, it is particularly salient to third-year students as they become integral members of health care teams...
- Perforated appendicitis after colonoscopy
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94103 0790, USA
JSLS 12:335-7. 2008
..None of the previous reports have described findings of perforation of the appendix within 24 hours of colonoscopy...
- Integrating surgical skills education into the anatomy laboratory
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0790, USA
J Surg Res 158:36-42. 2010
..Early exposure to surgical skills training and surgical mentors enhance students' retention and confidence in those skills, and may promote their interest in surgery...
- Open incisional hernia repair at an academic tertiary care medical center
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0104, USA
Arch Surg 144:848-52. 2009
..To describe the postoperative complication rates of a large consecutive series of patients who underwent open incisional ventral hernia repair...
- The future of general surgery
JAMA 299:1015; author reply 1015-6. 2008