- The feasibility of modified directly observed therapy for HIV-seropositive African American substance users
Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:139-46. 2008
..These results suggest MDOT is feasible among African American substance users in the South and a larger controlled study of MDOT with this population is warranted...
- Correlates of willingness to participate in microbicide research among African Americans
Nova Southeastern University, Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA
J Health Psychol 18:65-74. 2013
..Accurate knowledge of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study was associated with greater WTP. These predictors may be employed in microbicide trials to enhance African American participation...
- Gratitude is associated with greater levels of protective factors and lower levels of risks in African American adolescents
Nova Southeastern University, Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences, Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 3301 College Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA
J Adolesc 36:983-91. 2013
..The findings suggest that moral affect gratitude may enhance protective factors while life-orientation gratitude may buffer against high-risk behaviors among African American youth...
- The effects of priming on a public health campaign targeting cardiovascular risks
Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences, Nova Southeastern University, 3301 College Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA
Prev Sci 12:333-8. 2011
..Results suggest the presence of a priming effect. Public health campaigns may benefit from the inclusion of a low-cost prime prior to intervention...
- The relationship of character strengths to sexual behaviors and related risks among African American adolescents
Nova Southeastern University, Farquhar Collegeof Arts and Sciences, Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33314, USA
Int J Behav Med 15:319-27. 2008
..Relatively few studies have examined positive character traits that are associated with lower HIV/STD risks...
- Hypertension in relation to posttraumatic stress disorder and depression in the US National Comorbidity Survey
Jeffrey L Kibler
Center for Psychological Studies, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Behav Med 34:125-32. 2009
..PTSD appears to be related to hypertension independent of depression. This may partially explain elevated rates of CVD in PTSD patients...
- Routine testing for HIV in the United States: the intersection between recommendations and practice
Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:79-83. 2006
..In order not to stigmatize any specific risk group, nor to miss any patients who are unable to be identified as being "at high risk," routine testing in the primary care setting should be encouraged...