- 12-month follow-up analysis of a multicenter, randomized, prospective trial in de novo liver transplant recipients (LIS2T) comparing cyclosporine microemulsion (C2 monitoring) and tacrolimus
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Liver Transpl 12:1464-72. 2006
..More patients required antidiabetic therapy with tacrolimus regardless of diabetic status at baseline...
- Reduced mortality with right-lobe living donor compared to deceased-donor liver transplantation when analyzed from the time of listing
S A Shah
Multi Organ Transplant Unit, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 7:998-1002. 2007
..80%; p < 0.001). To our knowledge, this is the first report to document a survival advantage at time of listing for RLDLT over DDLT...
- Neoral C2 monitoring in solid organ transplantation
G A Levy
Multi Organ Transplantation Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transplant Proc 36:392S-395S. 2004
- Targeted delivery of ribavirin improves outcome of murine viral fulminant hepatitis via enhanced anti-viral activity
Gary A Levy
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 43:581-91. 2006
- Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of everolimus in de novo liver transplant recipients: 12- and 36-month results
Multiorgan Transplantation, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Liver Transpl 12:1640-8. 2006
..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that everolimus in combination with oral cyclosporine had an acceptable safety and tolerability profile, paving the way for additional studies in this transplant indication...
- Long-term immunosuppression and drug interactions
G A Levy
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Liver Transpl 7:S53-9. 2001
..4. Individual patient immunosuppressive protocols should be developed. 5. Drug interactions are common and the source of significant morbidity...
- Progress in transplantation
Gary A Levy
University of Toronto Transplantation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ther Drug Monit 32:246-9. 2010
- Adult living liver donors have excellent long-term medical outcomes: the University of Toronto liver transplant experience
Liver Transplant Program, Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 10:364-71. 2010
..This prospective study suggests that living liver donation can be performed safely without any serious late medical complications and suggests that long-term follow-up may contribute to favorable donor outcomes...
- Biliary strictures in 130 consecutive right lobe living donor liver transplant recipients: results of a Western center
S A Shah
Department of Surgery, Multi Organ Transplatation Unit, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 7:161-7. 2007
..D-D anastomosis is safe after RLDLT and provides access for future endoscopic therapy in cases of leak or stricture. When presented with multiple bile ducts, ductoplasty should be considered to reduce the potential chance of stricture...
- A pharmacoeconomic analysis of Neoral without intravenous cyclosporine in liver transplantation in Canada
A W Hemming
Department of Surgery, Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Clin Transplant 12:425-9. 1998
..The savings achieved with Neoral proved robust on sensitivity analysis. The change of practice to an induction immunosuppression regimen of Neoral without i.v. CsA has achieved a cost savings in adult liver transplantation at our center...
- The prothrombinase activity of FGL2 contributes to the pathogenesis of experimental arthritis
M C Melnyk
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University of Toronto and Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Scand J Rheumatol 40:269-78. 2011
..We hypothesized that expression of mFGL2 in inflamed synovium contributes to the fibrin deposition and subsequent inflammation in arthritis...
- Selective use of older adults in right lobe living donor liver transplantation
S A Shah
Multi Organ Transplant Unit, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 7:142-50. 2007
..95). Early experience with the use of selected older adults (>44 years) for RLDLT is encouraging, but may be associated with a higher rate of biliary complications in the recipient...
- Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of 40-0-[2-hydroxyethyl]rapamycin in de novo liver transplant recipients
G A Levy
Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Transplantation 71:160-3. 2001
..CsA pharmacokinetics were not affected by single-dose RAD coadministration. RAD capsules administered in single doses of 7.5 mg were well tolerated and safe...
- Results of lis2t, a multicenter, randomized study comparing cyclosporine microemulsion with C2 monitoring and tacrolimus with C0 monitoring in de novo liver transplantation
University Health Network, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Transplantation 77:1632-8. 2004
..The incidence of adverse events is comparable except for a significantly higher incidence of diabetes mellitus and diarrhea in the tacrolimus group. Both agents are effective primary immunosuppressants in liver transplant recipients...
- Post-transplant recurrent hepatitis B viral liver disease. Viral-burden, steatoviral, and fibroviral hepatitis B
M J Phillips
Department of Pathology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 140:1295-308. 1992
..Steatosis is not usually considered a feature of HBV liver pathology. These results suggest that more than one type of posttransfusion recurrent hepatitis B liver disease exists pathologically...
- Adult right-lobe living liver donors: quality of life, attitudes and predictors of donor outcomes
D A Dubay
Liver Transplant Unit, Multiorgan Transplant Program, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 9:1169-78. 2009
..Risk factors identified in this study should be prospectively evaluated in future research...
- Ancrod improves survival in murine systemic lupus erythematosus
E H Cole
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Kidney Int 37:29-35. 1990
..This was associated with a decrease in plasma PCA inducing activity and with an inhibitory effect on PCA induction. These results suggest that PCA contributes to injury in murine lupus glomerulonephritis by promoting fibrin deposition...
- Procoagulants in fetus rejection: the role of the OX-2 (CD200) tolerance signal
D A Clark
Departments of Medicine, Molecular Medicine and Pathology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mucosal Immunology Group, Immunology and Inflammation Program, McMaster University, Rm 3V39, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5, Canada
Semin Immunol 13:255-63. 2001
..Similarities and differences between findings in the mouse and human, and the potential evolutionary significance of mechanisms affecting reproductive success are reviewed...
- Patient management by Neoral C(2) monitoring: an international consensus statement
Multiorgan Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, 621 University Avenue, 10NU 116, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
Transplantation 73:S12-8. 2002
- New strategies to optimize clinical outcomes with cyclosporine in liver transplantation
G A Levy
Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:289-93. 2002
- C2 monitoring strategy for optimising cyclosporin immunosuppression from the Neoral formulation
G A Levy
Multi Organ Transplantation, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BioDrugs 15:279-90. 2001
- Molecular and functional analysis of the human prothrombinase gene (HFGL2) and its role in viral hepatitis
G A Levy
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 156:1217-25. 2000
..Fibrin stained positively in these areas and was confirmed by electron microscopy. These studies define a unique prothrombinase gene (HFGL2) and implicate its importance in the pathogenesis of fulminant viral hepatitis...
- Dynamic changes in clinical features and cytokine/chemokine responses in SARS patients treated with interferon alfacon-1 plus corticosteroids
Sarah E Ward
Toronto General Research Institute and University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Antivir Ther 10:263-75. 2005
- Interferon alfacon-1 plus corticosteroids in severe acute respiratory syndrome: a preliminary study
Mona R Loutfy
North York General Hospital, Toronto General Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 290:3222-8. 2003
..Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a new clinical entity for which no effective therapeutic strategy has been developed...
- Normothermic acellular ex vivo liver perfusion reduces liver and bile duct injury of pig livers retrieved after cardiac death
M U Boehnert
Department of Surgery, Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Am J Transplant 13:1441-9. 2013
..524 ± 187 U/L, p < 0.05), with similar bile production (2.5 ± 1.2 cc/h vs. 2.8 ± 1.4 cc/h; p = 0.2). NEVLP improved HA perfusion and decreased markers of liver duct injury in DCD grafts...
- Activation of the novel prothrombinase, fg12, as a basis for the pregnancy complications spontaneous abortion and pre-eclampsia
Toronto General Hospital Research Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Reprod Immunol 46:196-210. 2001
..CONCLUSIONS: Activation of fg12 prothrombinase by Th1-type cytokines in pregnancy may lead to spontaneous abortion, or in ongoing pregnancy, to pre-eclampsia and/or IUGR...
- Interactions between cytomegalovirus, human herpesvirus-6, and the recurrence of hepatitis C after liver transplantation
Department of Medicine, Multi Organ Transplantation, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Department of Microbiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 2:461-6. 2002
..031). In conclusion, HHV-6 and CMV infection and viral load were not associated with increased overall rates of HCV recurrence or HCV viral load after liver transplantation but may be associated with more severe forms of recurrence...
- The difference in the fibrosis progression of recurrent hepatitis C after live donor liver transplantation versus deceased donor liver transplantation is attributable to the difference in donor age
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Liver Transpl 14:1778-86. 2008
..In conclusion, donor age, rather than the transplant approach, determines the progression of recurrent hepatitis C after LT. LDLT, allowing for the selection of younger donors, may particularly benefit hepatitis C patients...
- Living-donor right hepatectomy with or without inclusion of middle hepatic vein: comparison of morbidity and outcome in 56 patients
Mark S Cattral
Department of Surgery, Multiorgan Transplantation Program, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Transplant 4:751-7. 2004
..We conclude that including the MHV with living-donor right lobe grafts can be performed safely in most donors...
- HDAF transgenic pig livers are protected from hyperacute rejection during ex vivo perfusion with human blood
Transplantation Technologies Inc, London, Ontario, Canada
Xenotransplantation 9:36-44. 2002
- Proteasome inhibition in vivo promotes survival in a lethal murine model of severe acute respiratory syndrome
Xue Zhong Ma
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Research Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Virol 84:12419-28. 2010
..The results further suggest that targeting the proteasome may be an effective new treatment for severe coronavirus infections...
- Clinical impact of human herpesvirus 6 infection after liver transplantation
Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 2C4
Transplantation 73:599-604. 2002
..The objective of this study was to determine the clinical impact of HHV-6 infection after liver transplantation including both direct and indirect effects...
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in a liver transplant recipient and guidelines for donor SARS screening
Infectious Diseases and Multi Organ Transplant, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 3:977-81. 2003
..As SARS spreads throughout the world, it may become an increasingly significant problem for transplant patients and programs...
- Ex vivo and extracorporeal perfusion with hDAF pig kidneys
Department of Surgery, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Xenotransplantation 10:410-21. 2003
..We conclude that hDAF transgene protects against HAR, allowing the pig kidney to function normally while perfused with human blood, and that extracorporeal perfusion using hDAF pig kidneys is a safe procedure in baboons...
- Derivation of a risk index for the prediction of massive blood transfusion in liver transplantation
Stuart A McCluskey
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Liver Transpl 12:1584-93. 2006
..The ROC for this risk index was 0.79. MBT in liver transplantation surgery can be accurately predicted by 7 readily available preoperative predictors...
- Role of fibrinogen-like protein 2 prothrombinase/fibroleukin in experimental and human allograft rejection
Laboratory of Infectious Immunology, Department of Infectious Disease, Institute of Immunology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Immunol 174:7403-11. 2005
..These data collectively suggest that fgl2 accounts for the fibrin deposition seen in both experimental and human allograft rejection and provide a rationale for targeting fgl2 as adjunctive therapy to treat allograft rejection...
- Fibrinogen-like protein 2 fibroleukin expression and its correlation with disease progression in murine hepatitis virus type 3-induced fulminant hepatitis and in patients with severe viral hepatitis B
Chuan Long Zhu
Tongji Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, Hubei Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:6936-40. 2005
..To evaluate the expression of fibrinogen-like protein 2 (fgl2) and its correlation with disease progression in both mice and patients with severe viral hepatitis...
- Comparison of cyclosporine microemulsion and tacrolimus in 39 recipients of living donor liver transplantation
Organ Transplant Unit, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Liver Transpl 11:1395-402. 2005
..In conclusion, CsA-ME C2 monitoring or tacrolimus both offer effective protection against rejection in living donor liver transplants while maintaining a good safety profile...
- Cyclosporine pharmacokinetics and blood pressure responses after conversion to once-daily dosing in maintenance liver transplant patients
John M Kovarik
Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Transplant 22:68-75. 2008
..Conversion to once-daily dosing was associated with a decrease in nighttime mean arterial blood pressure...
- Clinical validation studies of Neoral C(2) monitoring: a review
Klinik für Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Transplantation 73:S3-11. 2002
- Identification of the receptor for FGL2 and implications for susceptibility to mouse hepatitis virus (MHV-3)-induced fulminant hepatitis
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Canada
Adv Exp Med Biol 581:421-5. 2006
- Murine hepatitis virus strain 1 as a model for severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (SARS)
University of Toronto, Canada
Adv Exp Med Biol 581:373-8. 2006
- [The study of cis-element HNF4 in the regulation of mfg12 prothrombinase/fibroleukin gene expression in response to nucleocapsid protein of MHV-3]
Division of Clinical Immunology, Tongji Hospital, Institute of Immunology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 83:678-83. 2003
..To identify the transcription factor(s) that is essential for activation of mfgl2 prothrombinase/fibroleukin gene in response to nucleocapsid protein of murine hepatitis virus type 3 (MHV-3)...
- STAT1 and STAT3 alpha/beta splice form activation predicts host responses in mouse hepatitis virus type 3 infection
Division of Clinical Immunology, Tongji Hospital, Institute of Immunology, Tongji Medical College and Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Med Virol 69:306-12. 2003
- STAT1 and STAT3 alpha/beta splice form activation predicts host responses in mouse hepatitis virus type 2 infection. J Med Virol 2003;69:306-312
J Med Virol 71:474. 2003