- Outcome after colectomy for Clostridium difficile colitis
Walter E Longo
Department of Surgery, St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1620-6. 2004
..difficile colitis are infrequently reported. This study was designed to identify risk factors, clinical characteristics, and outcome of patients who required colectomy for fulminant C. difficile colitis...
- Bilateral pleural effusions, ascites, and facial and peripheral oedema in a 19-year-old woman 2 weeks following commencement of insulin lispro and detemir--an unusual presentation of insulin oedema
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Diabet Med 24:1282-5. 2007
..Significant cardiac disease was excluded, and the massive fluid retention resolved spontaneously with conservative management. A review of the literature is presented...
- Efficacy of high-dose vitamin d supplementation in the critically ill patients
Rachel M Perron
Garvan Institute of Medical Research, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 12:273-81. 2013
..Improved understanding of vitamin D metabolism in critical illness will clarify the therapeutic potential of this pleiotropic hormone and facilitate implementation of cost-effective clinical trials. ..
- Brown adipose tissue in adult humans: a metabolic renaissance
School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4107, Australia
Endocr Rev 34:413-38. 2013
..They also have implications for the understanding of the pathogenesis and treatment of obesity and its metabolic sequelae...
- Cold-activated brown adipose tissue is an independent predictor of higher bone mineral density in women
Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Obesity Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bldg 10, CRC, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD, USA
Osteoporos Int 24:1513-8. 2013
..Higher BAT mass was associated with higher BMD in healthy women, but not in men, independent of age and body composition...
- Mild cold exposure modulates fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) diurnal rhythm in humans: relationship between FGF21 levels, lipolysis, and cold-induced thermogenesis
Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Obesity Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Clinical Research Center, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E98-102. 2013
..In humans, the effects of cold exposure on circulating FGF21 levels are unknown...
- Dual polymorphisms in UDP-glucuronosyltransferases 1A1 and 1A6: a novel mechanism for hyperserotoninaemia in Gilbert's syndrome mimicking carcinoid syndrome?
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, St Vincent s Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:337-40. 2007
..The latter may account for symptoms experienced by patients with Gilbert's syndrome hitherto considered unrelated to, or unexplainable by, the known defect in bilirubin metabolism...
- Looking beyond low bone mineral density: multiple insufficiency fractures in a woman with post-menopausal osteoporosis on alendronate therapy
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, The University of Sydney, Sydney Concord, NSW 2139, Australia
J Endocrinol Invest 30:590-7. 2007
..g. non-compliance). This case report and review of the literature draws attention to some of the challenges in the diagnosis and management of such rare insufficiency fractures...
- Vitamin D metabolism and deficiency in critical illness
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 25:769-81. 2011
..Improved understanding of vitamin D metabolism and regulation in critical illness may allow therapeutic exploitation of vitamin D to improve outcome in critically ill patients...
- Inducible brown adipogenesis of supraclavicular fat in adult humans
Pituitary Research Unit, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, 2010 New South Wales, Australia
Endocrinology 152:3597-602. 2011
..This study provides the first evidence of inducible brown adipogenesis in the supraclavicular region in adult humans...
- Recreational drug use in type 1 diabetes: an invisible accomplice to poor glycaemic control?
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 42:198-202. 2012
..Medical awareness of common, currently underreported, drug use in young people with T1D is essential. It offers the possibility of helping such patients improve related suboptimal metabolic control...
- Clinical trial: the treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in primary care--prospective randomized comparison of rabeprazole 20 mg with esomeprazole 20 and 40 mg
Outcomes Research and Epidemiology, Janssen Cilag Pty Ltd, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:967-78. 2009
..A trial of empirical PPI therapy is usual practice for most patients with symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in primary care...
- Revision total hip arthroplasty with a modular tapered stem
Orthopaedic Department, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hip Int 20:136-42. 2010
..The mean Harris hip score improved from 37 (10-77) points before operation to 72 (41-96) points at last follow-up. The ZMR tapered stem has shown satisfactory results in 2 to 10 years followup in various femoral stem revision conditions...
- The long modified extended sliding trochanteric osteotomy
Orthopedic Department, Division of Arthroplasty, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, Suite 476A, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X5, Canada
Int Orthop 35:13-7. 2011
..This series shows a low failure rate, with revision and union rates comparable to those reported for shorter ETOs. Performing the osteotomy through a lateral approach to the hip will enhance posterior stability...
- Formoterol, a highly β2-selective agonist, increases energy expenditure and fat utilisation in men
Pituitary Research Unit, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 37:593-7. 2013
..Formoterol is a novel highly β2-selective adrenergic agonist and holds promise as a β2-agonist that could impart selective beneficial metabolic effects...
- Metabolic sequelae of β-blocker therapy: weighing in on the obesity epidemic?
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 35:1395-403. 2011
..Sympathetic activation is an important metabolic adaptation limiting weight gain. Propensity of weight gain associated with β-blocker therapy in the obese modern population is unknown...
- Targeted intervention reduces refracture rates in patients with incident non-vertebral osteoporotic fractures: a 4-year prospective controlled study
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, and Bone Research Program, ANZAC Research Institute, The University of Sydney at Concord, Sydney NSW 2139, Australia
Osteoporos Int 22:849-58. 2011
..Compared to standard care, targeted identification, and management significantly reduced the risk of refracture by more than 80%...
- Lack of an association between a dopamine-4 receptor polymorphism and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: genetic and brain morphometric analyses
F X Castellanos
Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1600, USA
Mol Psychiatry 3:431-4. 1998
..These data do not support the reported association between DRD4*7R and the behavioral or brain morphometric phenotype associated with ADHD...
- Managing young people with Type 1 diabetes in a 'rave' new world: metabolic complications of substance abuse in Type 1 diabetes
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Diabet Med 26:328-33. 2009
..We propose a practical approach to improve care of young people with Type 1 diabetes using designer drugs...
- Substance abuse in young patients with type 1 diabetes: easily neglected in complex medical management
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 35:359-61. 2005
..We present a case series highlighting the issues of substance abuse in young patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: the usual villain or a scapegoat? A novel cause of severe metabolic acidosis in type 1 diabetes
Diabetes Care 31:e13. 2008
- More on atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis
N Engl J Med 359:317; author reply 317-8. 2008
- "Mind the gap" when managing ketoacidosis in type 1 diabetes
Diabetes Care 31:e58. 2008