Affiliation: American University of Beirut
- Ischaemic stroke with headache as its only manifestationWael Radwan
Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratory, American University Medical Center PO Box 113 6044 C 27, Beirut, Lebanon
N Z Med J 125:75-7. 2012..Investigation revealed occlusion of the ipsilateral middle cerebral artery. We reviewed the literature of ischaemic strokes with headache as the only manifestation and elaborated on the pathophysiology of headaches in ischaemic strokes...
- Song listening does not affect pattern reversal visual evoked potentialsRaja Sawaya
Raja Sawaya American University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Ann Saudi Med 32:293-5. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether a loud meaningful acoustic noise, simulated by song listening, during the testing of the visual evoked response, could alter the latency or amplitude of the cortical potentials...
- Peripheral neuropathy in thalassaemiaRaja A Sawaya
Department of Internal Medicine, American University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Ann Saudi Med 26:358-63. 2006..The aim of the study was to document whether these patients suffer from a polyneuropathy and to determine any contributing factors for the development of neuropathy...
- Contrast-induced encephalopathy following coronary angioplasty with iohexolRaja A Sawaya
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Neurology and Division of Cardiology, American University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
South Med J 100:1054-5. 2007..The patient recovered spontaneously in 24 hours with only supportive measures. This report suggests that such a drug reaction could occur with iohexol injected in the coronaries, but reassures that the encephalopathy is self limiting...
- Presumed bilateral optic nerve sheath meningiomas presenting as optic neuritisRaja A Sawaya
Department of Neurology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
J Neuroophthalmol 28:55-7. 2008..This is an unusual presentation for optic nerve meningioma but a reminder that this entity may mimic optic neuritis...
- When is the Phalen's test of diagnostic value: an electrophysiologic analysis?Raja A Sawaya
Division of Neurology, Department of Internal Medicine, American University Medical Center Beirut, Lebanon
J Clin Neurophysiol 26:132-3. 2009..The authors concluded that the Phalen's sign is present mostly in the moderate to severe median nerve entrapment, but still can sometimes be present as a false positivity in normal hands...
- Acute quadriplegia in a young man secondary to prothrombin G20210A mutationR Sawaya
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Neurology, American University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Spinal Cord 49:942-3. 2011..We present the case of an 18-year-old man, previously healthy, who presented with acute quadriplegia and respiratory failure. Physical examination was compatible with a high cervical anterior spinal cord lesion...
- Two randomized vitamin D trials in ambulatory patients on anticonvulsants: impact on boneM A Mikati
Adult and Pediatric Epilepsy Program, Department of Pediatrics, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Neurology 67:2005-14. 2006..To investigate the effects of two doses of vitamin D given over 1 year on bone density in ambulatory patients on long-term antiepileptic drug (AED) therapy...
- Effect of antiepileptic drugs on bone density in ambulatory patientsG Farhat
Calcium Metabolism and Osteoporosis Program, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Lebanon
Neurology 58:1348-53. 2002..Skeletal monitoring with the institution of appropriate therapy is indicated in patients on chronic antiepileptic therapy...