Affiliation: American University of Beirut
- Propafenone hepatotoxicity: report of a new case and review of the literatureLara B Younan
Department of Internal Medicine, Divisions of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and Cardiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Saudi J Gastroenterol 19:235-7. 2013..In this article, one new case will be reported emphasizing the importance of medication history taking in patients presenting with new-onset liver enzymes abnormalities. ..
- Combined use of EUS-guided FNA and immunocytochemical stains discloses metastatic and unusual diseases in the evaluation of mediastinal lymphadenopathy of unknown etiologyMohamad A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, Lebanon
Ann Thorac Med 7:84-91. 2012..We report our experience with the use of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) with immunocytochemical stains in patients being evaluated for ML...
- Predictors of malignancy in EUS-guided FNA for mediastinal lymphadenopathy in patients without history of lung cancerLeticia P Luz
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Ann Thorac Med 6:126-30. 2011..Mediastinal lymphadenopathy (ML) poses a great diagnostic challenge...
- Ratio of pancreatic duct caliber to width of pancreatic gland by endosonography is predictive of pancreatic cancerMohamad A Eloubeidi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama in Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Pancreas 42:670-9. 2013....
- Duodenal Dieulafoy's LesionMohamad A Eloubeidi
American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
N Engl J Med 367:e6. 2012..A 67-year-old man was admitted after 1 day of melena and hematemesis. Thirty years earlier, he had undergone Billroth type I operation (gastroduodenostomy) for treatment of peptic ulcer disease...
- Unusual, metastatic, or neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas: a diagnosis with endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration and immunohistochemistryMohamad A Eloubeidi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama in Birmingham, Birmingham Alabama, USA
Saudi J Gastroenterol 18:99-105. 2012..To determine the yield of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) in combination with immunostains in diagnosing unusual solid pancreatic masses (USPM) in comparison with pancreatic adenocarcinoma (ACP)...
- Transduodenal EUS-guided FNA of the right adrenal gland to diagnose lung cancer where percutaneous approach was not possibleMohamad A Eloubeidi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
J Med Liban 59:173-5. 2011..This case shows that the right adrenal gland can be sampled with EUS-FNA via the duodenal approach to diagnose metastatic lung cancer, especially when the percutaneous approach is not feasible...
- Successful closure of pharyngo-cutaneous and phayryngo-tracheal fistulas using removable hypopharyngeal stent after laryngectomy for laryngeal carcinomaMohamad A Eloubeidi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Alabama in Birmingham, AL, USA
Saudi J Gastroenterol 18:62-7. 2012..Closure of pharyngo-cutaneous and tracheo-esophageal fistulas is feasible with esophageal removable stents. These stents provide alternative options when dealing with these challenging problems...
- Success and complications associated with placement of fully covered removable self-expandable metal stents for benign esophageal diseases (with videos)Mohamad A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 73:673-81. 2011..Fully covered esophageal self-expandable metal stents (FCSEMSs) are thought to induce less mucosal hyperplasia and are potentially removable. They may constitute an attractive alternative for the treatment of benign esophageal diseases...
- Postoperative outcomes following pancreaticoduodenectomy: how should age affect clinical practice?Walid Faraj
Liver Transplantation and Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery, Department of General Surgery, American University of Beirut, Cairo Street, Beirut 1107 2020, Lebanon
World J Surg Oncol 11:131. 2013..There are conflicting data regarding the safety of pancreatic resection in older patients. Potentially modifiable perioperative risk factors to improve outcomes in older patients have yet to be determined...
- Hedgehog pathway expression in heterogeneous pancreatic adenocarcinoma: implications for the molecular analysis of clinically available biopsiesAdam Steg
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Diagn Mol Pathol 16:229-37. 2007....
- Biomarkers in Diagnosis of pancreatic carcinoma in fine-needle aspiratesNirag Jhala
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35249, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 126:572-9. 2006..Clusterin-beta and MUC4 can help distinguish reactive ductal epithelial cells from the cells of pancreatic adenocarcinoma in FNA samples...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) intron 1 polymorphism and clinical outcome in pancreatic adenocarcinomaAndrey Frolov
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Am J Surg 200:398-405. 2010..Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) intron 1 has a polymorphic region of CA repeats that is believed to be associated with increased EGFR expression, tumor aggressiveness, and worse survival in cancer patients...
- Lymph-node ratio is an independent prognostic factor in patients with stage III colorectal cancer: a retrospective study from the Middle EastElias Elias
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut, Riad El Solh, Beirut, 1107 2020, Lebanon
World J Surg Oncol 10:63. 2012..Our paper is the first analysis, to our knowledge, to deal with such data from the Middle East...
- Role of endoscopic evaluation in idiopathic pancreatitis: a systematic reviewC Mel Wilcox
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Pancreaticobiliary Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 703 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 63:1037-45. 2006..ERCP and sphincter of Oddi manometry should generally be reserved for patients with multiple unexplained attacks and negative EUS results, especially for those patients who have previously undergone cholecystectomy...
- Can endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration predict response to chemoradiation in non-small cell lung cancer? A pilot studyShyam Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0007, USA
Respiration 73:213-20. 2006..Accurate prediction of pathologic response to chemoradiation (CHEMO-XRT) has a significant impact on the treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and mediastinal lymph node (LN) metastasis (N2 disease)...
- Predictors of colorectal cancer knowledge and screening among church-attending African Americans and Whites in the Deep SouthTung Sung Tseng
Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35216, USA
J Community Health 34:90-7. 2009..14, 1.72-25) or barium enema (OR = 6.25, 1.67-25) than African Americans. Church-based CRC screening intervention programs should target African Americans, those with no family history of CRC, and those with less education...
- Antitumor efficacy of capecitabine and celecoxib in irradiated and lead-shielded, contralateral human BxPC-3 pancreatic cancer xenografts: clinical implications of abscopal effectsCarmelo Blanquicett
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 3300, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:8773-81. 2005..This chemoradiation regimen was chosen based on our molecular analysis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma...