- Combined laparoscopic and endoscopic approach for the management of two ingested sewing needles: one migrated into the liver and one stuck in the duodenum
General Surgery Unit, St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:311-4. 2007
..Moreover, the laparoscopic approach is a safe, efficient approach to remove those sharp objects that have migrated into the peritoneal cavity...
- Laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy in Greek reality
2nd Surgical Department and Unit of Surgical Oncology, Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 22:471-6. 2012
..05 USD), whereas for OA, it was 237.8 euros (314.77 USD). The severity of appendicitis is not a limitation for LA. Because of an insufficient costing system in Greece, the best cost effectiveness is for young women and obese men...
- The effect of warm liver ischaemia & reperfusion injury on circulating plasma lipid levels & lipolytic enzyme activity in rat & the impact of ischaemic preconditioning
2nd Surgical Department and Unit of Surgical Oncology, Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Athens General Hospital, Greece
Indian J Med Res 136:272-9. 2012
..This study aimed to investigate the impact of liver ischaemic manipulations on lipid metabolism in rat during the process of liver recovery after liver surgery...
- Incidental findings in trauma patients during focused assessment with sonography for trauma
Second Surgical Department and Unit of Surgical Oncology, Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am Surg 78:366-72. 2012
..The detection of unknown surgical conditions in FAST may lead to managerial and possible medico-legal issues rendering the development of a proper algorithm mandatory...
- The effect of hepatectomy on plasma lipolytic enzyme activity and circulating lipid levels: an experimental study on Wistar rat
2nd Surgical Department, Red Cross Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Hepatogastroenterology 58:2097-102. 2011
..The aim of this experimental study was to investigate the effect of liver resection and resulting transient hepatic steatosis on circulating lipid levels and plasma lipolytic enzyme activity...
- Recurrent acute pancreatitis as the first and sole presentation of undiagnosed primary hyperparathyroidism
General Surgery Department, St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Praed Street, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:W29-31. 2010
..Primary hyperparathyroidism is a recognised, but rare, cause of acute pancreatitis. Hypercalcaemia caused by undiagnosed pHPT may be the only causative factor of recurrent acute pancreatitis...
- Comparison of skin-sparing mastectomy versus non-skin-sparing mastectomy for breast cancer: a meta-analysis of observational studies
General Surgery Unit, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Surg 251:632-9. 2010
..To evaluate differences in outcomes of breast cancer patients undergoing either conventional mastectomy without reconstruction (NSSM) or skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM) with immediate reconstruction...
- A case of Meigs syndrome mimicking metastatic breast carcinoma
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, QEQM Wing, St, Mary s Campus, London, UK
World J Surg Oncol 7:10. 2009
..To our knowledge, there are no similar reports in the literature and therefore we present this case to highlight this entity...
- Diagnosis and management of male breast cancer
Breast Care Unit Mary Stanford Wing 5th Floor, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, St Mary s Hospital, Praed streed, W2 1NY, London, UK
World J Surg 32:2471-6. 2008
..In this study, we review the special features, overall management, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with MBC managed under our care with a brief review of the current literature...
- Microdochectomy for single-duct pathologic nipple discharge and normal or benign imaging and cytology
Breast Care Unit, Mary Stanford Wing, 5th Floor, St Mary s Hospital NHS Trust, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Breast 17:309-13. 2008
..Pre-operative workup and imaging may not be suspicious in patients with single-duct PND and underlying malignancy, therefore, microdochectomy should be considered in such cases...
- Atypical anaphylactic reaction to Patent Blue during sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer
Breast Care Unit, St Mary s NHS Trust, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:338-9. 2008
..The medical personnel involved with sentinel node biopsies should be alert, and familiar with this unusual entity. We also present current data from the literature...
- Surgical management of Gynaecomastia: outcomes from our experience
Breast Care Unit, Mary Stanford Wing, 5th Floor, St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, UK
Breast 17:596-603. 2008
..The majority of the patients can be managed conservatively. Surgical candidates should be made aware of the significant morbidity...
- Incidental findings in focused assessment with sonography for trauma in hemodynamically stable blunt trauma patients: speaking about cost to benefit
Second Surgical Department and Surgical Oncology Unit, Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Trauma 71:E123-7. 2011
- Laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal versus open preperitoneal mesh repair for inguinal hernia recurrence: a decision analysis based on net health benefits
2nd Surgical Department and Surgical Oncology Unit of Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Hospital, 11 Mantzarou St, Neo Psychiko, 15451 Athens, Greece
Surg Endosc 27:2526-41. 2013
..The aim of this study is to evaluate the most cost-effective treatment strategy using preperitoneal mesh for patients with recurrent inguinal hernia. Currently, the issue of cost-effectiveness is entirely unresolved...
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery for T1 and T2 rectal cancers: a meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis of outcomes
Second Surgical Department and Surgical Oncology Unit of Korgialenio Benakio, Red Cross Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am Surg 77:761-72. 2011
..Unfavorable tumor preoperative histology does not seem to influence the selection between TEM and SR. TEM is more effective than TAE in obtaining negative surgical margins and shows a greater disease-free survival...
- Prolonged survival after the surgical management of a solitary malignant melanoma lesion within the pancreas: A case report of curative resection
General Surgery Unit, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, St Mary s Hospital, Mary Stanford Wing, London, United Kingdom
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 19:453-5. 2010
..Curative surgical resection should be offered to selected patients with a solitary pancreatic malignant melanoma metastasis. Such aggressive management may lead to prolonged, and disease-free survival...
- Synchronous bilateral breast cancer with different biological profile and estrogen-progesterone receptor status
George M Filippakis
Breast J 14:209-10. 2008