- Genomic expression and single-nucleotide polymorphism profiling discriminates chromophobe renal cell carcinoma and oncocytoma
Min Han Tan
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Van Andel Research Institute, 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
BMC Cancer 10:196. 2010
..Previous studies have been relatively limited in terms of examining the differences between oncocytoma and chromophobe RCC...
- Trends in esophageal cancer and body mass index by race and gender in the state of Michigan
Eric J Kort
Laboratory of Molecular Epidemiology, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 9:47. 2009
..Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus has been increasing in incidence in the U.S. over the past several decades, particularly among white males. The factors driving the racial disparity in adenocarcinomas rates are not well understood...
- The decline in U.S. cancer mortality in people born since 1925
Eric J Kort
Laboratory of Molecular Epidemiology, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
Cancer Res 69:6500-5. 2009
..These findings suggest that improvements in cancer detection, treatment, and/or prevention have reduced the risk of cancer death across the life span for individuals born in the last three quarters of the 20th century...
- Activation of the PI3K/AKT pathway induces urothelial carcinoma of the renal pelvis: identification in human tumors and confirmation in animal models
Chao Nan Qian
Laboratories of Cancer Genetics, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
Cancer Res 69:8256-64. 2009
..g., mTOR inhibitor) may serve as effective therapeutic agents...
- Changing incidence of pancreatic neoplasms: a 16-year review of statewide tumor registry
Timothy L Fitzgerald
Department of Surgical Oncology, Richard J Lacks Cancer Center, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Pancreas 37:134-8. 2008
..Although most pancreatic neoplasms are adenocarcinoma, there are many other histological types, some of which may be increasing in frequency. To better define these trends, we reviewed 16 years of data from a statewide tumor registry...
- The tumor suppressor parafibromin is required for posttranscriptional processing of histone mRNA
Leslie J Farber
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
Mol Carcinog 49:215-23. 2010
..These results indicate that parafibromin regulates the 3' processing of histone RNA, an essential component of the cell cycle...
- Combining differential expression, chromosomal and pathway analyses for the molecular characterization of renal cell carcinoma
Kyle A Furge
Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Mich
Can Urol Assoc J 1:S21-7. 2007
..Continued development and improvement in the field of molecular profiling will better characterize cancer and provide more accurate diagnosis, prognosis and prediction of drug response...
- Archived unfrozen neonatal blood spots are amenable to quantitative gene expression analysis
Peterson T Haak
Laboratory of Microarray Technology, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Mich 49503, USA
Neonatology 95:210-6. 2009
..These screening assays consume only a small portion of the blood samples, which are collected on filter paper ('Guthrie') cards. Many states archive unused blood spots, often in unrefrigerated storage...