Genomes and Genes
J L Roh
Affiliation: University of Ulsan
- Kwon M, Roh J, Lee J, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Extranodal extension and thickness of metastatic lymph node as a significant prognostic marker of recurrence and survival in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015;43:769-78 pubmed publisher..On the contrary, ENET â‰¥ 2 mm was significantly associated with a poor CSS, even in multivariate analysis. ENET â‰¥ 2 mm might be a complementary prognostic marker in CSS estimation for ENE positivity. ..
- Roh J, Park C. Routine oral calcium and vitamin D supplements for prevention of hypocalcemia after total thyroidectomy. Am J Surg. 2006;192:675-8 pubmed..Routine administration of a supplement containing oral calcium and vitamin D is effective in reducing the incidence and severity of hypocalcemia after total thyroidectomy. ..
- Kang H, Roh J, Kim M, Cho K, Lee S, Kim S, et al. Predictive factors for long-term survival in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients with distant metastasis after initial definitive treatment. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016;142:295-304 pubmed publisher..In the absence of risk factors, long-term survival can be achieved despite the development of DM after definitive treatment. ..
- Lee J, Choi Y, Roh J, Kim J, Lee J, Cho K, et al. Preoperative Contrast-Enhanced CT Versus Â¹â¸F-FDG PET/CT Evaluation and the Prognostic Value of Extranodal Extension for Surgical Patients with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S1020-7 pubmed publisher..05). The findings showed that ENE of HNSCC is more accurately detected by using CT than by using (18)F-FDG PET/CT. The accurate pretreatment detection of ENE may help in the planning for HNSCC treatments. ..
- Roh J, Park J, Rha K, Park C. Is central neck dissection necessary for the treatment of lateral cervical nodal recurrence of papillary thyroid carcinoma?. Head Neck. 2007;29:901-6 pubmed..The inclusion of comprehensive ipsilateral central and lateral neck dissection in the reoperation for patients with lateral neck recurrence of PTC is an optimal surgical strategy. ..
- Roh J, Kim J, Park C. Central compartment reoperation for recurrent/persistent differentiated thyroid cancer: patterns of recurrence, morbidity, and prediction of postoperative hypocalcemia. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:1312-8 pubmed publisher..Central compartment reoperation may lead to high rates of morbidity, including hypoparathyroidism, which can be predicted by surgical extent and low serum iPTH levels. ..
- Roh J, Park C. Intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay for management of patients undergoing total thyroidectomy. Head Neck. 2006;28:990-7 pubmed..The proposed algorithm based on rapid PTH levels will lead to improved prediction of normocalcemic patients. ..
- Park M, Roh J, Kim S, Choi S, Nam S, Kim S. Prognostic value of circulating biomarker score in advanced-stage head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Eur J Cancer. 2018;92:69-76 pubmed publisher..05). CB scores at pre-treatment and early post-treatment are useful for predicting survival outcomes in patients with advanced-stage HNSCC. ..
- Kim E, Jang H, Shin D, Baek S, Roh J. Targeting Nrf2 with wogonin overcomes cisplatin resistance in head and neck cancer. Apoptosis. 2016;21:1265-1278 pubmed..Wogonin is a promising anticancer candidate that induces ROS accumulation and selective cytotoxicity in HNC cells and can help to overcome cisplatin-resistance in this cancer. ..
- Kwon M, Kim S, Roh J, Lee S, Kim S, Choi S, et al. An Introduction to a Head and Neck Cancer-Specific Frailty Index and Its Clinical Implications in Elderly Patients: A Prospective Observational Study Focusing on Respiratory and Swallowing Functions. Oncologist. 2016;21:1091-8 pubmed publisher..The head and neck cancer-specific frailty index described in this report, which includes functional evaluations of respiration and swallowing, significantly predicted both early morbidity and mortality. ..
- Ryu I, Roh J, Kim J, Lee J, Cho K, Choi S, et al. Impact of (18)F-FDG PET/CT staging on management and prognostic stratification in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: A prospective observational study. Eur J Cancer. 2016;63:88-96 pubmed publisher..05, each). (18)F-FDG PET/CT added important staging information that improved management and prognostic stratification in HNSCC. ..
- Kim J, Roh J, Gong G, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Recurrence in patients with clinically early-stage papillary thyroid carcinoma according to tumor size and surgical extent. Am J Surg. 2016;212:419-425.e1 pubmed publisher..944) or surgical extent (unilateral vs bilateral thyroidectomy, P = .776) on recurrence. Tumor size in patients with PTC of 4 cm or less is an important predictive factor for post-treatment recurrence. ..
- Yoo S, Roh J, Choi S, Nam S, Kim S. Incidence and risk factors for morbidity and mortality in elderly head and neck cancer patients undergoing major oncological surgery. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016;142:1343-51 pubmed publisher..In combination with these risk factors, older patients who are diagnosed with HNSCC should be carefully monitored in order to determine the potential occurrence of postsurgical complications. ..
- Lim W, Oh J, Roh J, Kim J, Kim S, Choi S, et al. Prediction of distant metastasis and survival in adenoid cystic carcinoma using quantitative 18F-FDG PET/CT measurements. Oral Oncol. 2018;77:98-104 pubmed publisher..2-fold higher risk of disease-specific death than those with a lower MTV. Quantitative measurements using 18F-FDG PET/CT are useful for predicting tumor progression, distant metastasis, and survival in patients with AdCC. ..
- Kim S, Moon H, Roh J, Kim S, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Postdiagnostic use of Î²-blockers and other antihypertensive drugs and the risk of recurrence and mortality in head and neck cancer patients: an observational study of 10,414 person-years of follow-up. Clin Transl Oncol. 2017;19:826-833 pubmed publisher..05). Our data show that Î²-blocker use is associated with decreased survival and calcium-channel blockers is associated with increased cancer recurrence in patients of HNSCC. ..
- Kim E, Jang H, Roh J. A Novel Polyphenol Conjugate Sensitizes Cisplatin-Resistant Head and Neck Cancer Cells to Cisplatin via Nrf2 Inhibition. Mol Cancer Ther. 2016;15:2620-2629 pubmed..Mol Cancer Ther; 15(11); 2620-9. Â©2016 AACR. ..
- Kim J, Park Y, Roh J, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Prognostic value of glucosylceramide synthase and P-glycoprotein expression in oral cavity cancer. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:883-889 pubmed..05). GCS and P-gp expression is associated with poor prognosis, suggesting suitability as novel biomarkers in OSCC. ..
- Nam S, Roh J, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, Kim S. Risk Factors and Survival Associated with Distant Metastasis in Patients with Carcinoma of the Salivary Gland. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:4376-4383 pubmed..Distant metastasis frequently develops after treatment for SGC and is associated with poor survival outcomes; thus, close surveillance may be required for patients with SGC and risk factors. ..
- Ha S, Oh J, Roh J, Moon H, Kim J, Cho K, et al. Pretreatment tumor SUVmax predicts disease-specific and overall survival in patients with head and neck soft tissue sarcoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:33-40 pubmed..0. Quantitative metabolic measurements on pretreatment 18F-FDG PET/CT can yield values that are significantly predictive of survival after treatment for HNSTS. ..
- Kim S, Roh J, Kim J, Lee J, Lee S, Choi S, et al. 18F-FDG PET/CT surveillance for the detection of recurrence in patients with head and neck cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2017;72:62-70 pubmed publisher..01). Posttreatment 18F-FDG PET/CT surveillance helps to properly detect recurrence and to predict the survival following treatment of HNSCC. ..
- Kim J, Roh J, Gong G, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Extent of Extrathyroidal Extension as a Significant Predictor of Nodal Metastasis and Extranodal Extension in Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:460-468 pubmed publisher..001). Local extension, nodal involvement, and ENE contribute to posttreatment recurrence of PTC. Macroscopic ETE predicts nodal metastasis and ENE, which are adverse pathologic features. ..
- Park J, Roh J, Lee S, Kim S, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Effect of polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medications on treatment and posttreatment courses in elderly patients with head and neck cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016;142:1031-40 pubmed publisher..Neither PP nor PIM are significantly associated with treatment-related toxicity in elderly HNC patients, but these are associated with modest increases in prolonged hospitalization and noncancer health events. ..
- Roh J, Kim E, Jang H, Park J, Shin D. Induction of ferroptotic cell death for overcoming cisplatin resistance of head and neck cancer. Cancer Lett. 2016;381:96-103 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological and genetic inhibition of cystine/glutamate antiporter overcomes the cisplatin resistance of HNC cells by inducing ferroptosis. ..
- Moon H, Roh J, Lee S, Kim S, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Prognostic value of nutritional and hematologic markers in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma treated by chemoradiotherapy. Radiother Oncol. 2016;118:330-4 pubmed publisher..ECOG performance status, BMI<18.5 kg/m(2) and NLR were independent predictors of CSS and OS (P<0.01 each). Our data support the evidence that several nutritional and hematologic markers are associated with the prognosis of HNSCC. ..
- Roh J, Park C. OK-432 sclerotherapy of cervical chylous lymphocele after neck dissection. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:999-1002 pubmed publisher..We investigated the efficacy of OK-432 (Picibanil, Chungai Pharmaceutical Co., Tokyo, Japan) sclerotherapy in the treatment of cervical lymphocele after neck dissection...
- Shin D, Kim E, Lee J, Roh J. RITA plus 3-MA overcomes chemoresistance of head and neck cancer cells via dual inhibition of autophagy and antioxidant systems. Redox Biol. 2017;13:219-227 pubmed publisher..The combined treatment of RITA with the autophagy inhibitor 3-methyladenine overcomes RITA resistance via dual inhibition of autophagy and antioxidant systems in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Lee J, Roh J, Lee S, Park Y, Cho K, Choi S, et al. Overexpression of glutathione peroxidase 1 predicts poor prognosis in oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2017;143:2257-2265 pubmed publisher..05), while increased GPX4 or TrxR1 expression was not (all P > 0.1). Tumour GPX1 expression is a useful biomarker predictive of recurrence and survival in OSCC patients. ..
- Nam S, Roh J, Gong G, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Nodal Factors Predictive of Recurrence After Thyroidectomy and Neck Dissection for Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. Thyroid. 2017;: pubmed publisher..This study examined the association between nodal factors including the LN yield and ratio with recurrence after thyroidectomy plus central compartment neck dissection (ND) for papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC)...
- Roh J, Lee J, Kim E, Shin D. Plasticity of oral mucosal cell sheets for accelerated and scarless skin wound healing. Oral Oncol. 2017;75:81-88 pubmed publisher..The oral mucosal cell sheet demonstrated in vivo tissue plasticity through good adaptation to skin wounds, contributing to accelerated and scarless healing. ..
- Lee J, Kim E, Shin D, Roh J. Accelerated oral wound healing using a pre-vascularized mucosal cell sheet. Sci Rep. 2017;7:10667 pubmed publisher..The histological healing in the PV sheet group was similar to that in rat normal buccal mucosa without fibrosis. The pre-vascularized mucosal cell sheet exhibited in vivo efficacy in oral wound healing by promoting accelerated healing. ..
- Roh J, Yoon Y. Effect of acid and pepsin on glottic wound healing: a simulated reflux model. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;132:995-1000 pubmed..05). Our data suggest that glottic wound healing is significantly affected by acid and pepsin. Antireflux treatment can be advocated to minimize further injury caused by gastroesophageal reflux in patients who undergo laryngeal surgery. ..
- Roh J, Kim H, Kim A. The effect of acute xerostomia on vocal function. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;132:542-6 pubmed..To evaluate whether xerostomia can affect vocal function in an experimental model...
- Kim Y, Roh J, Gong G, Cho K, Choi S, Nam S, et al. Risk Factors for Lateral Neck Recurrence of N0/N1a Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:3609-3616 pubmed publisher..013) were independent factors for LRFS. Lateral neck recurrence after thyroidectomy is predicted by the clinicopathologic factors of multifocality, cN1a, LN ratio, extranodal extension, and MACIS score in N0/N1a PTC patients. ..
- Kim S, Roh J, Kim S, Choi S, Nam S, Kim S. Aspirin use and head and neck cancer survival: an observational study of 11,623 person-years follow-up. Int J Clin Oncol. 2018;23:52-58 pubmed publisher..05). The cumulative dose of aspirin or NSAIDs did not alter survival outcomes (P > 0.05). Our data illustrated that the use of aspirin or NSAIDs has no effect on survival or recurrence in patients with HNSCC. ..
- Roh J, Jang H, Lee J, Kim E, Shin D. Promotion of oral surgical wound healing using autologous mucosal cell sheets. Oral Oncol. 2017;69:84-91 pubmed publisher..Healed and normal tongues showed similar histology. ..
- Roh J, Kim E, Jang H, Shin D. Aspirin plus sorafenib potentiates cisplatin cytotoxicity in resistant head and neck cancer cells through xCT inhibition. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017;104:1-9 pubmed publisher..Aspirin and sorafenib synergize to potentiate the cytotoxicity of cisplatin in resistant HNC cells. This therapeutic strategy may help to eliminate resistant HNC. ..
- Roh J, Kim E, Jang H, Shin D. Nrf2 inhibition reverses the resistance of cisplatin-resistant head and neck cancer cells to artesunate-induced ferroptosis. Redox Biol. 2017;11:254-262 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the Nrf2-ARE pathway increased artesunate sensitivity and reversed the ferroptosis resistance in resistant HNC cells. ..
- Roh J, Park J, Kim E, Jang H. Targeting acid ceramidase sensitises head and neck cancer to cisplatin. Eur J Cancer. 2016;52:163-72 pubmed publisher..AC overexpression is associated with cisplatin sensitivity, suggesting its potential role as a chemotherapeutic target for HNC. Genetic or pharmacological AC inhibition promotes cisplatin cytotoxicity in HNC cells. ..
- Roh J, Park J, Kim E, Jang H, Kwon M. Activation of mitochondrial oxidation by PDK2 inhibition reverses cisplatin resistance in head and neck cancer. Cancer Lett. 2016;371:20-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DCA significantly sensitized resistant HNC cells to cisplatin in vitro and in vivo. High glycolysis and PDK2 overexpression are closely linked to cisplatin resistance in HNC cells; the latter can be overcome by DCA. ..
- Roh J, Kim D, Kim S, Park C. Quality of life and voice in patients after laser cordectomy for Tis and T1 glottic carcinomas. Head Neck. 2007;29:1010-6 pubmed..We prospectively examined QOL and vocal function of patients with carcinoma in situ (Tis) or T1 glottic carcinomas after laser cordectomy...
- Roh J, Kim D, Park C. Prospective identification of chyle leakage in patients undergoing lateral neck dissection for metastatic thyroid cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008;15:424-9 pubmed..We therefore prospectively examined chyle leakage that occurred during and after lateral neck dissection in treatment of thyroid cancer...
- Kwon M, Kim J, Roh J, Park Y, Cho K, Choi S, et al. Recurrence and cancer-specific survival according to the expression of IL-4RÎ± and IL-13RÎ±1 in patients with oral cavity cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51:177-85 pubmed publisher..001) and increased CSS (P < 0.001) in OSCC patients. High expression of IL-4RÎ± correlated with increased recurrence, while high IL-13RÎ±1 expression had an inverse relationship to recurrence and CSS in OSCC patients. ..
- Roh J, Ko J, Moon S, Ryu C, Choi J, Koch W. The p53-reactivating small-molecule RITA enhances cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity and apoptosis in head and neck cancer. Cancer Lett. 2012;325:35-41 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the restoration of p53 tumor-suppressive function by RITA enhances the cytotoxicity and apoptosis of cisplatin, an action that may offer an attractive strategy for treating HNC. ..
- Roh J, Kim H. Primary treatment of pediatric plunging ranula with nonsurgical sclerotherapy using OK-432 (Picibanil). Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008;72:1405-10 pubmed publisher..Plunging ranula may be also primarily treated with nonsurgical sclerotherapy, but there is little experience in pediatric patients. We, therefore, assessed the efficacy of OK-432 sclerotherapy for pediatric plunging ranula...