Genomes and Genes
V Narry Kim
Affiliation: Seoul National University
- Kwon S, Nguyen T, Choi Y, Jo M, Hohng S, Kim V, et al. Structure of Human DROSHA. Cell. 2016;164:81-90 pubmed publisher..Our study implicates the evolutionary origin of DROSHA and elucidates the molecular basis of Microprocessor assembly and primary microRNA processing. ..
- Chang H, Yeo J, Kim J, Kim H, Lim J, Lee M, et al. Terminal Uridylyltransferases Execute Programmed Clearance of Maternal Transcriptome in Vertebrate Embryos. Mol Cell. 2018;70:72-82.e7 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that uridylation plays a crucial role in timely mRNA degradation, thereby allowing the progression of early development. ..
- Kim V. MicroRNA precursors in motion: exportin-5 mediates their nuclear export. Trends Cell Biol. 2004;14:156-9 pubmed..However, recent studies have shown that exportin-5 (Exp5), a Ran-dependent importin-beta-related transport receptor, mediates nuclear export of miRNA precursors (pre-miRNAs). ..
- Son A, Park J, Kim V. PARN and TOE1 Constitute a 3' End Maturation Module for Nuclear Non-coding RNAs. Cell Rep. 2018;23:888-898 pubmed publisher..Our findings extend the knowledge of nuclear ncRNA biogenesis, and they provide insights into the pathology of PARN/TOE1-associated genetic disorders whose therapeutic treatments are currently unavailable. ..
- Kim B, Jeong K, Kim V. Genome-wide Mapping of DROSHA Cleavage Sites on Primary MicroRNAs and Noncanonical Substrates. Mol Cell. 2017;66:258-269.e5 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that fCLIP-seq could be a general tool for investigating interactions between dsRNA-binding proteins and structured RNAs. ..
- Nguyen T, Jo M, Choi Y, Park J, Kwon S, Hohng S, et al. Functional Anatomy of the Human Microprocessor. Cell. 2015;161:1374-87 pubmed publisher..These findings clarify controversies over the action mechanism of DROSHA and allow us to build a general model for pri-miRNA processing. ..
- Kim V, Han J, Siomi M. Biogenesis of small RNAs in animals. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2009;10:126-39 pubmed publisher..This Review summarizes our current knowledge of how these intriguing molecules are generated in animal cells. ..
- Lee M, Choi Y, Kim K, Jin H, Lim J, Nguyen T, et al. Adenylation of maternally inherited microRNAs by Wispy. Mol Cell. 2014;56:696-707 pubmed publisher..Our work provides mechanistic insights into the regulation of maternal microRNAs and illustrates the importance of RNA tailing in development. ..
- Kim Y, Yeo J, Lee J, Cho J, Seo D, Kim J, et al. Deletion of human tarbp2 reveals cellular microRNA targets and cell-cycle function of TRBP. Cell Rep. 2014;9:1061-74 pubmed publisher..By generating human TRBP KO cells, our study clarifies the role of TRBP and unveils negative feedback regulation of PKR through TRBP phosphorylation. ..
- Lim J, Ha M, Chang H, Kwon S, Simanshu D, Patel D, et al. Uridylation by TUT4 and TUT7 marks mRNA for degradation. Cell. 2014;159:1365-76 pubmed publisher..Our study explains the mechanism underlying selective uridylation of deadenylated mRNAs and demonstrates a fundamental role of oligo-U-tail as a molecular mark for global mRNA decay. ..
- Park J, Yi H, Kim Y, Chang H, Kim V. Regulation of Poly(A) Tail and Translation during the Somatic Cell Cycle. Mol Cell. 2016;62:462-471 pubmed publisher..Our quantitative and comprehensive data provide a revised view of translational control in the somatic cell cycle. ..
- Chang H, Lim J, Ha M, Kim V. TAIL-seq: genome-wide determination of poly(A) tail length and 3' end modifications. Mol Cell. 2014;53:1044-52 pubmed publisher..TAIL-seq is a potent tool to dissect dynamic control of mRNA turnover and translational control, and to discover unforeseen features of RNA cleavage and tailing. ..