J Soo Kim
Affiliation: Seoul National University
- Lee S, Park S, Park J, Kim H, Han M, Bae H, et al. Dorsal Medullary Infarction: Distinct Syndrome of Isolated Central Vestibulopathy. Stroke. 2015;46:3081-7 pubmed publisher..Because initially false-negative magnetic resonance imagings and subsequent progression are frequent in dorsal medullary infarction, early recognition through scrutinized evaluation is important for proper managements. ..
- Kim J, Ahn K, Moon S, Choi K, Park S, Koo J. Isolated perverted head-shaking nystagmus in focal cerebellar infarction. Neurology. 2005;64:575-6 pubmed
- Choi J, Kim H, Kim J. Recent advances in head impulse test findings in central vestibular disorders. Neurology. 2018;90:602-612 pubmed publisher..Defining the differences in patterns observed during abnormal HITs may help practitioners localize the responsible lesions in both central and peripheral vestibulopathy. ..
- Lee S, Bae H, Kim J. Ipsilesional limb ataxia and truncal ipsipulsion in isolated infarction of the superior cerebellar peduncle. J Neurol Sci. 2015;349:251-3 pubmed publisher..In addition to the dentate-rubro-thalamic projections, the SCP appears to contain the fibers involved in the control of eye motion in the roll plane. ..
- Choi J, Kim J, Kim H, Glasauer S, Kim J. Central paroxysmal positional nystagmus: Characteristics and possible mechanisms. Neurology. 2015;84:2238-46 pubmed publisher..CPPN could be differentiated from benign paroxysmal positional nystagmus by positional nystagmus induced in multiple planes, temporal patterns of nystagmus intensity, and associated neurologic findings suggestive of central pathologies. ..
- Kim H, Park S, Kim J, Koo J, Kim C, Kim Y, et al. Bilaterally Abnormal Head Impulse Tests Indicate a Large Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor. J Clin Neurol. 2016;12:65-74 pubmed publisher..The serial evaluation of HITs may provide information on tumor growth, and thereby reduce the number of costly brain scans required when following up patients with CPA tumors. ..
- Choi J, Jung I, Jung J, Kwon D, Park M, Kim H, et al. Characteristics and mechanism of perverted head-shaking nystagmus in central lesions: Video-oculography analysis. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016;127:2973-2978 pubmed publisher..pdHSN is a sign indicative of central pathology causing cerebellar dysfunction, especially when it associated with other neuro-otological signs. ..
- Kim H, Kim S, Park J, Kim J. Altered processing of otolithic information in isolated lateral medullary infarction. J Neurol. 2016;263:2424-2429 pubmed..This discrepancy in otolithic dysfunction suggests different anatomical substrates and/or dissimilar reciprocal modulation for processing of each otolithic signal in central vestibular structures located in the dorsolateral medulla. ..
- Jung I, Choi S, Kim H, Kim J. Delayed vestibulopathy after heat exposure. J Neurol. 2017;264:49-53 pubmed publisher..Exposure to excessive heat may give rise to delayed vestibulopathy by damaging the vestibulocerebellum. ..
- Choi S, Kim H, Kim J. Chasing dizzy chimera: Diagnosis of combined peripheral and central vestibulopathy. J Neurol Sci. 2016;371:69-78 pubmed publisher..Scrutinized bedside evaluation, however, secured the diagnosis in almost all the patients with combined vestibulopathy. ..
- Choi J, Kim J. Modulation of central nystagmus by vision, proprioception, and efference copy signals: a systematic evaluation. J Neurol. 2016;263:735-42 pubmed publisher..Various non-vestibular sensorimotor stimulations may induce nystagmus due to dysfunction of the central vestibular neural circuity. ..
- Kim S, Kim H, Kim J. Isolated vestibular syndromes due to brainstem and cerebellar lesions. J Neurol. 2017;264:63-69 pubmed publisher..Recognition of these isolated central vestibular syndromes aids in defining the function of each structure and in localizing the involved neural structures based upon the vestibular and ocular motor findings. ..
- Kim S, Zee D, du Lac S, Kim H, Kim J. Nucleus prepositus hypoglossi lesions produce a unique ocular motor syndrome. Neurology. 2016;87:2026-2033 pubmed..We attribute these findings to an imbalance in the NPH-inferior olive-flocculus-vestibular nucleus loop, and the ocular motor abnormalities provide a new brainstem localization for patients with acute vertigo. ..
- Choi K, Lee H, Kim J. Ischemic syndromes causing dizziness and vertigo. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;137:317-40 pubmed publisher..Regarding the common nonlacunar mechanisms in the acute vestibular syndrome from small infarctions, individual strategies may be indicated to prevent recurrences of stroke in patients with vascular vertigo. ..
- Kim S, Akbarkhodjaeva Z, Jung I, Kim J. Eye movement and vestibular dysfunction in mitochondrial A3243G mutation. Neurol Sci. 2016;37:1159-62 pubmed publisher..Cerebellar atrophy was prominent on MRIs in two patients and was less marked in the other patient. These findings imply that the cerebellum is susceptible to neuronal energy deficiency due to mitochondrial A3243G point mutation. ..
- Lee S, Kim H, Park J, Kim J. Internuclear ophthalmoplegia plus ataxia indicates a dorsomedial tegmental lesion at the pontomesencephalic junction. J Neurol. 2016;263:973-980 pubmed publisher..Damage to the brachium conjunctivum or mesencephalic locomotor region may explain the ataxia in association with INO in lesions involving this area. ..
- Lee S, Park S, Kim H, Koo J, Kim J. Normal Caloric Responses during Acute Phase of Vestibular Neuritis. J Clin Neurol. 2016;12:301-7 pubmed publisher..Follow-up evaluation should be considered when the findings of the initial caloric test are normal, but VN remains the most plausible diagnosis. ..
- Choi S, Kim H, Kim J. Impaired vestibular responses in internuclear ophthalmoplegia: Association and dissociation. Neurology. 2017;: pubmed publisher..To determine the role of the medial longitudinal fasciculus (MLF) in conveying vestibular signals...
- Kim J, Jeong S, Moon S, Park S. Third cranial nerve palsy from midbrain neurocysticercosis: repeated exacerbation on tapering corticosteroids. J Neuroophthalmol. 2004;24:217-20 pubmed..The patient showed repeated exacerbation of symptoms on tapering corticosteroids. The experience with this patient indicates that tapering of corticosteroids should be performed very slowly in such cases...