Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Seoul National University
- Kim B, Ji K, Kim C, Kang H, Lee S, Kwon B, et al. Pharmaceutical residues in streams near concentrated animal feeding operations of Korea - Occurrences and associated ecological risks. Sci Total Environ. 2019;655:408-413 pubmed publisher..Hence, the ecological consequences of pharmaceutical residues in the water bodies near CAFOs warrant further investigation. ..
- Kim S, Lee J, Park J, Kim H, Cho G, Kim G, et al. Concentrations of phthalate metabolites in breast milk in Korea: estimating exposure to phthalates and potential risks among breast-fed infants. Sci Total Environ. 2015;508:13-9 pubmed publisher..Considering vulnerability of young infants, efforts to mitigate phthalate exposure among lactating women are warranted. ..
- Kwak K, Ji K, Kho Y, Kim P, Lee J, Ryu J, et al. Chronic toxicity and endocrine disruption of naproxen in freshwater waterfleas and fish, and steroidogenic alteration using H295R cell assay. Chemosphere. 2018;204:156-162 pubmed publisher..Endocrine disruption effects in fish warrant further investigation particularly for their ecological implications. ..
- Kim S, Lee S, Shin C, Lee J, Kim S, Lee A, et al. Urinary parabens and triclosan concentrations and associated exposure characteristics in a Korean population-A comparison between night-time and first-morning urine. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018;221:632-641 pubmed publisher..The results of this study also show that multiple urine samples are necessary to capture the diurnal variation of non-occupational exposure to environmental chemicals, such as parabens. ..
- Kim S, Cho Y, Lee I, Kim W, Won S, Ku J, et al. Prenatal exposure to persistent organic pollutants and methylation of LINE-1 and imprinted genes in placenta: A CHECK cohort study. Environ Int. 2018;119:398-406 pubmed publisher..The consequences of these epigenetic alterations in placenta during development deserve further investigation. ..
- Kang H, Lee H, Moon H, Kim S, Lee J, Ha M, et al. Perfluoroalkyl acids in serum of Korean children: Occurrences, related sources, and associated health outcomes. Sci Total Environ. 2018;645:958-965 pubmed publisher..PFNA was positively associated with free T4 level. High levels of PFUnDA among children and its association with serum lipids warrant replication and confirmation in other populations and/or supports by experimental studies. ..
- Lee S, Shin W, Hong S, Kang H, Jung D, Yim U, et al. Measured and predicted affinities of binding and relative potencies to activate the AhR of PAHs and their alkylated analogues. Chemosphere. 2015;139:23-9 pubmed publisher..The docking model developed in the present study may have utility in predicting risks of environmental contaminants of which toxicities are mediated by AhR binding. ..
- Jung D, Guan M, Lee S, Kim C, Shin H, Hong S, et al. Searching for novel modes of toxic actions of oil spill using E. coli live cell array reporter system - A Hebei Spirit oil spill study. Chemosphere. 2017;169:669-677 pubmed publisher..Toxicological implications of such observations deserve further examination. Overall, LCA is a promising tool for screening samples and identifying potential modes of toxicities of environmental samples associated with oil spills. ..
- Liu X, Jung D, Zhou K, Lee S, Noh K, Khim J, et al. Characterization of endocrine disruption potentials of coastal sediments of Taean, Korea employing H295R and MVLN assays-Reconnaissance at 5years after Hebei Spirit oil spill. Mar Pollut Bull. 2018;127:264-272 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, oil spill can cause endocrine disruption in the affected ecosystem through steroidogenic alteration for years, and such potencies attenuate over time. ..
- Kim J, Noh S, Cheong H, Ha M, Eom S, Kim H, et al. Urinary oxidative stress biomarkers among local residents measured 6years after the Hebei Spirit oil spill. Sci Total Environ. 2017;580:946-952 pubmed publisher..While the present study design lacks biomarkers of exposure, the results of this study suggest that the consequences of oil pollution may last for years. ..
- Kang H, Choi K, Lee H, Kim D, Park N, Kim S, et al. Elevated levels of short carbon-chain PFCAs in breast milk among Korean women: Current status and potential challenges. Environ Res. 2016;148:351-359 pubmed publisher..Further efforts for source identification and exposure management measures for shorter chain PFCAs are necessary. ..
- Kim S, Lee J, Park J, Kim H, Cho G, Kim G, et al. Urinary phthalate metabolites over the first 15months of life and risk assessment - CHECK cohort study. Sci Total Environ. 2017;607-608:881-887 pubmed publisher..DEHP exposure explained most of the risk estimates. Considering vulnerability of young children to endocrine disruption, efforts to identify sources of exposure and to develop appropriate mitigation options are warranted. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Lee S, Hong S, Liu X, Kim C, Jung D, Yim U, et al. Endocrine disrupting potential of PAHs and their alkylated analogues associated with oil spills. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2017;19:1117-1125 pubmed publisher..This observation shows that disruption of endocrine functions by some constituents of oil spills could be underestimated if only parent compounds are considered in assessments of hazard and risk. ..
- Kim C, Lee I, Jung D, Hong S, Khim J, Giesy J, et al. Reconnaissance of dioxin-like and estrogen-like toxicities in sediments of Taean, Korea-seven years after the Hebei Spirit oil spill. Chemosphere. 2017;168:1203-1210 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, AhR-mediated potencies could be identified in the environmental samples even after 7 years of the incident. Therefore, possible ecosystem implications of these findings should be further investigated. ..
- Sohn J, Kim S, Koschorreck J, Kho Y, Choi K. Alteration of sex hormone levels and steroidogenic pathway by several low molecular weight phthalates and their metabolites in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) and/or human adrenal cell (H295R) line. J Hazard Mater. 2016;320:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results show that not only DEP, BBzP, and DiBP, but also their hydrolytic metabolites disrupt sex hormone balances through modulating key steroidogenic genes in the human adrenal cells and in zebrafish. ..
- Shin M, Lee S, Kim H, Lee J, Choi G, Choi S, et al. Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers in Maternal Serum, Breast Milk, Umbilical Cord Serum, and House Dust in a South Korean Birth Panel of Mother-Neonate Pairs. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed publisher..Although further studies are needed, a radar chart-based distributional comparison among congeners supported associations between BDE 47 or -99 in human tissues and BDE 209 in dust. ..
- Lee S, Kim C, Youn H, Choi K. Thyroid hormone disrupting potentials of bisphenol A and its analogues - in vitro comparison study employing rat pituitary (GH3) and thyroid follicular (FRTL-5) cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2017;40:297-304 pubmed publisher..Thyroid effects of the BPA analogues deserve further investigations in experimental organisms and in human populations. ..
- Park C, Choi W, Hwang M, Lee Y, Kim S, Yu S, et al. Associations between urinary phthalate metabolites and bisphenol A levels, and serum thyroid hormones among the Korean adult population - Korean National Environmental Health Survey (KoNEHS) 2012-2014. Sci Total Environ. 2017;584-585:950-957 pubmed publisher..Considering the importance of thyroid hormones, public health implications of such alteration warrant further studies. ..
- Jung D, Kim J, Park M, Yim U, Choi K. Human health and ecological assessment programs for Hebei Spirit oil spill accident of 2007: Status, lessons, and future challenges. Chemosphere. 2017;173:180-189 pubmed publisher..Such concerted efforts will provide better platform for understanding the status of impact, and for developing approaches to address human and ecosystem health challenges that may be faced following environmental disasters like HSOS. ..
- Kang H, Moon H, Choi K. Toxicological responses following short-term exposure through gavage feeding or water-borne exposure to Dechlorane Plus in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;146:226-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate for the first time that DP disrupts thyroid hormone balance of zebrafish by altering regulatory pathways in the brain. Handling editor: David Volz. ..
- Kim S, Jung J, Lee I, Jung D, Youn H, Choi K. Thyroid disruption by triphenyl phosphate, an organophosphate flame retardant, in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae, and in GH3 and FRTL-5 cell lines. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;160:188-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations show that TPP could increase the thyroid hormone concentrations in the early life stages of zebrafish by disrupting the central regulation and hormone synthesis pathways. ..
- Shin M, Kim S, Lee S, Kim H, Lee J, Choi G, et al. Prenatal contribution of 2, 2', 4, 4'-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-47) to total body burden in young children. Sci Total Environ. 2018;616-617:510-516 pubmed publisher..Suggestively, the innate amounts and pharmacokinetics should be counted in estimating bodyburden of BDE-47. ..
- Kim S, Kim S, Won S, Choi K. Considering common sources of exposure in association studies - Urinary benzophenone-3 and DEHP metabolites are associated with altered thyroid hormone balance in the NHANES 2007-2008. Environ Int. 2017;107:25-32 pubmed publisher..In association studies, the presence of possible common exposure sources should be considered to circumvent possible false-positive conclusions. ..