Kyung Chul Choi
- Go R, Kim C, Choi K. Effect of fenhexamid and cyprodinil on the expression of cell cycle- and metastasis-related genes via an estrogen receptor-dependent pathway in cellular and xenografted ovarian cancer models. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;289:48-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results imply that fenhexamid and cyprodinil may have disruptive effects on ER-expressing cancer by altering the cell cycle- and metastasis-related gene expression via an ER-dependent pathway. ..
- Kim C, Go R, Lee G, Kim C, Chun Y, Choi K. Immortalization of human corneal epithelial cells using simian virus 40 large T antigen and cell characterization. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2016;78:52-7 pubmed publisher..These cells may be an excellent model for detecting the adverse effects of standard toxic materials and could replace the traditional eye irritation test as an animal-free alternative method. ..
- Kim S, Nam K, Hwang K, Choi K. Influence of hexabromocyclododecane and 4-nonylphenol on the regulation of cell growth, apoptosis and migration in prostatic cancer cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2016;32:240-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that HBCD and NP may enhance progression of prostate cancer by modulating growth and migration of LNCaP prostate cells by acting on cell cycle, apoptosis, and metastasis. ..
- Lee J, Ahn C, Kang H, Hong E, Hyun S, Choi K, et al. Effects of Octylphenol and Bisphenol A on the Metal Cation Transporter Channels of Mouse Placentas. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed..The fetus relies on the mother for ionic transportation, and, therefore, pregnant women should avoid exposure to cation-channel-disrupting chemicals. ..
- Go R, Hwang K, Park G, Lee H, Lee G, Kim C, et al. Effects of microalgal polyunsaturated fatty acid oil on body weight and lipid accumulation in the liver of C57BL/6 mice fed a high fat diet. J Biomed Res. 2016;30:234-42 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings suggest that microalgal oil, derived from Thraustochytriidae sp. derived mutant, is a prominent candidate for replacement of omega-3 fish oils based on its apparent anti-obesity effect in vivo. ..
- Jeon S, Go R, Heo J, Kim C, Hwang K, Choi K. Effects of cigarette smoke extracts on the progression and metastasis of human ovarian cancer cells via regulating epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Reprod Toxicol. 2016;65:1-10 pubmed publisher..Based on the results, cigarette smokers of women might be at a higher risk of ovarian cancer than non-smokers. ..
- Kim C, Hwang K, Choi K. Anti-metastatic potential of resveratrol and its metabolites by the inhibition of epithelial-mesenchymal transition, migration, and invasion of malignant cancer cells. Phytomedicine. 2016;23:1787-1796 pubmed publisher..Although these findings display the anti-metastatic potential of resveratrol, more patient-oriented clinical studies demonstrating the marked efficacies of resveratrol in humans are still needed. ..
- Kim C, Park G, Bae O, Noh M, Choi K. Application of SV40 T-transformed human corneal epithelial cells to evaluate potential irritant chemicals for in vitro alternative eye toxicity. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2016;80:82-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that SHCE cells could be an excellent alternative in vitro model to replace in vivo animal models for eye irritation tests. ..
- Heo J, Lee G, Kim G, Hwang K, Choi K. Phytochemical-induced reactive oxygen species and endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis and differentiation in malignant melanoma cells. Phytomedicine. 2018;39:100-110 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that phytochemicals are potentially useful in treatments for melanoma due to their ability to inhibit melanoma cell growth and division via the ROS and ER stress pathway. ..
- Lee H, Kim C, Hwang K, Choi D, Choi K. Three components of cigarette smoke altered the growth and apoptosis of metastatic colon cancer cells via inducing the synthesis of reactive oxygen species and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;45:80-9 pubmed publisher..e., FA, Bz, and IP, inhibited the cell viability of SW620 cells by down-regulating the protein expression of cyclin D1 & E1 and induced apoptosis of SW620 cells by increasing ROS production and simultaneously activating ER-stress. ..
- Lee H, Hwang K, Choi K. Diverse pathways of epithelial mesenchymal transition related with cancer progression and metastasis and potential effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals on epithelial mesenchymal transition process. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;457:103-113 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is considered that the exposure to these EDCs can increase the risk aggravating the disease for the patients suffering cancer and that more regulations about the use of these EDCs are needed. ..
- Kim C, Lee H, Lee K, Kim B, Lee M, Choi K. Effects of cigarette smoke extracts on cell cycle, cell migration and endocrine activity in human placental cells. Reprod Toxicol. 2017;73:8-19 pubmed publisher..CSE exposure may also decrease hCG-? production as an endocrine marker, implying that cigarette smoke has adverse effects during pregnancy. ..
- Lee H, Kim S, Choi K. Treatment of Human Placental Choriocarcinoma Cells with Formaldehyde and Benzene Induced Growth and Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition via Induction of an Antioxidant Effect. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicated that FA and Bz induce the growth and migration of human choriocarcinoma cells via regulation of the cell cycle and EMT and activation of ROS and antioxidant related markers. ..
- Kim C, Kim C, Choi K. Establishment and evaluation of immortalized human epidermal keratinocytes for an alternative skin irritation test. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2017;88:130-139 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings suggest that SV-HEK2 cells could be a good alternative in vitro model for skin irritation tests. ..
- Lee G, Hwang K, Choi K. Inhibitory effects of 3,3'-diindolylmethane on epithelial-mesenchymal transition induced by endocrine disrupting chemicals in cellular and xenograft mouse models of breast cancer. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;109:284-295 pubmed publisher..Taken together, DIM is a potent chemopreventive compound for preventing metastatic behaviors of breast cancer cells induced by EDCs with cancer-related toxicity. ..
- Lee H, Kim C, Hwang K, Sung J, Lee J, Choi K. Cigarette smoke impaired maturation of ovarian follicles and normal growth of uterus inner wall of female wild-type and hypertensive rats. Reprod Toxicol. 2017;73:232-240 pubmed publisher..In addition, this harmful effect of CS may be displayed more seriously in rats with HT. ..
- Kim G, Heo J, Kim S, Choi K. Cancer-Specific Inhibitory Effects of Genetically Engineered Stem Cells Expressing Cytosine Deaminase and Interferon-? Against Choriocarcinoma in Xenografted Metastatic Mouse Models. Transl Oncol. 2017;11:74-85 pubmed publisher..v. injected hNSCs in a metastasis model; therefore, the results indicate that this stem cell therapy can be used as an alternative novel tool to treat metastatic choriocarcinoma. ..
- Kim S, Lee H, Hwang K, Choi K. Benzo(a)pyrene induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human choriocarcinoma cancer cells through reactive oxygen species-induced endoplasmic reticulum-stress pathway. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;107:339-348 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that B(a)P has the potential to induce apoptosis of JEG-3 and BeWo human choriocarcinoma cancer cells by increasing the ROS level and simultaneously activating ER-stress. ..
- Park G, Go R, Lee H, Lee G, Kim C, Seo J, et al. Potential Anti-proliferative and Immunomodulatory Effects of Marine Microalgal Exopolysaccharide on Various Human Cancer Cells and Lymphocytes In Vitro. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2017;19:136-146 pubmed publisher..GA has an anti-proliferative activity against cancer cells and an immunomodulatory effect by having an influence on B cell proliferation and cytokine secretion of T cells. ..
- Lee G, Hwang K, Choi K. Roles of Dietary Phytoestrogens on the Regulation of Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Diverse Cancer Metastasis. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..In this review, we focused on the important roles of phytoestrogens in inhibiting EMT in many types of cancer and suggested phytoestrogens as prominent alternative compounds to chemotherapy. ..