- Muscle heat shock protein 70 predicts insulin resistance with aging
Departments of Pathology and
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 70:155-62. 2015
..Results from aged humans confirmed this positive association of plasma HSP70 and insulin. In conclusion, higher levels of SkM HSP70 protect against insulin resistance development during healthy aging. ..
- Dietary fructose induces endotoxemia and hepatic injury in calorically controlled primates
Department of Pathology Section on Comparative Medicine and Lipid Sciences, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27127, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 98:349-57. 2013
..Animal studies have suggested that fructose impairs intestinal integrity and leads to hepatic steatosis (HS)...
- Aging does not reduce heat shock protein 70 in the absence of chronic insulin resistance
Department of Pathology, Section on Comparative Medicine, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 67:1014-21. 2012
..In conclusion, a low-fat diet may preserve tissue HSP70 and health with aging, whereas high-fat diets, insulin resistance, and genetic factors may be more important than age for determining HSP70 levels...
- Stearidonic and γ-linolenic acids in echium oil improves glucose disposal in insulin resistant monkeys
Wake Forest School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Winston Salem, NC 27127, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 89:39-45. 2013
..Glucose disposal was improved after EO consumption. These data suggest that PUFAs in EO supplementation have the capacity to alter circulating, RBC and muscle LC-PUFA levels and improve glucose tolerance in insulin-resistant monkeys...
- Liver fat and SHBG affect insulin resistance in midlife women: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN)
Department of Pathology, Wake Forest School of Medicine, North Carolina, Winston Salem, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:1031-8. 2013
..Our objective was to explore whether lower SHBG was associated with ectopic liver fat and mediated its effect on insulin resistance in The Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN)...
- Fetal and maternal factors associated with infant mortality in vervet monkeys
Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Med Primatol 40:27-36. 2011
..Causes of infant death remain unknown in significant proportions of human and non-human primate pregnancies...
- Clinicopathologic characterization of naturally occurring diabetes mellitus in vervet monkeys
J A Cann
Department of Pathology, Section on Comparative Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Vet Pathol 47:713-8. 2010
..The authors thus hypothesize that a naturally occurring monogenic form of diabetes may occur in vervet monkeys, making them a potential animal model for future studies...