- Molecular integrity and global gene expression of breast and lung cancer stem cells under long-term storage and recovery
Stem Cell Department, NovaRx Corporation, 6828 Nancy Ridge Drive, San Diego, CA, 92121, USA
Cell Tissue Bank 14:175-86. 2013
..Overall, our results indicate that current protocols for long-term storage of lung and breast cancer stem cells may substantially influence the activity and function of genes...
- Pivotal role of CD38 biomarker in combination with CD24, EpCAM, and ALDH for identification of H460 derived lung cancer stem cells
NovaRx Corporation, Cancer Stem Cell Department, 6828 Nancy Ridge Drive, San Diego 92121, USA
J Stem Cells 6:9-20. 2011
..Our results propose H460-derived cancer stem cells as a well defined cell for future comprehensive analysis of putative lung cancer stem cells-like cells...
- Expression of the epigenetic factor BORIS (CTCFL) in the human genome
Rosalia De Necochea-Campion
Division of Hematology and Oncology, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
J Transl Med 9:213. 2011
- Senescence evasion by MCF-7 human breast tumor-initiating cells
Department of Oncology, University of Alberta and Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, 11560 University Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Breast Cancer Res 12:R31. 2010
..The persistence of tumor-initiating cells may depend on altered regulation of DNA damage and checkpoint proteins, as well as a reduced propensity to undergo apoptosis or senescence...
- The stability of breast cancer progenitor cells during cryopreservation: Maintenance of proliferation, self-renewal, and senescence characteristics
NovaRx Corporation, 6828 Nancy Ridge Drive, Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Cryobiology 60:308-14. 2010
- Spectroscopic studies of DNA and ATP binding to human polynucleotide kinase: evidence for a ternary complex
Rajam S Mani
Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, and Department of Oncology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1Z2, Canada
Biochemistry 42:12077-84. 2003
- Keratinocyte-releasable stratifin functions as a potent collagenase-stimulating factor in fibroblasts
Department of Surgery, Wound Healing Research Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Invest Dermatol 122:1188-97. 2004
..This finding suggests that stratifin is likely to be, at least, one of the KDAFs found in KCM...
- Biophysical characterization of human XRCC1 and its binding to damaged and undamaged DNA
Rajam S Mani
Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1Z2, Canada
Biochemistry 43:16505-14. 2004
..Our results suggest that hXRCC1 exhibits preferential binding to DNA with single-strand breaks with a gap size of <5 nucleotides...
- Independent mechanisms of stimulation of polynucleotide kinase/phosphatase by phosphorylated and non-phosphorylated XRCC1
Department of Oncology, University of Alberta and Cross Cancer Institute, 11560 University Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 1Z2, Canada
Nucleic Acids Res 38:510-21. 2010
..Thus, XRCC1 can stimulate PNKP by two independent mechanisms...
- Human polynucleotide kinase participates in repair of DNA double-strand breaks by nonhomologous end joining but not homologous recombination
Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, University of Alberta, 11560 University Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cancer Res 67:6619-25. 2007
..We also provide evidence that the action of hPNK in the repair of camptothecin-induced topoisomerase 1 "dead-end" complexes is independent of DNA-PKcs and that hPNK is not involved in the nucleotide excision repair pathway...
- The molecular architecture of the mammalian DNA repair enzyme, polynucleotide kinase
Nina K Bernstein
Department of Biochemistry, 4 74 Medical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H7, Canada
Mol Cell 17:657-70. 2005
..The FHA domain is linked to the kinase/phosphatase catalytic domain by a flexible tether, and it exhibits a mode of target selection based on electrostatic complementarity between the binding surface and the phosphothreonine peptide...
- Identification of a small molecule inhibitor of the human DNA repair enzyme polynucleotide kinase/phosphatase
Gary K Freschauf
Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, and Departments of Oncology, Chemistry, and Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cancer Res 69:7739-46. 2009
..A12B4C3 is thus a useful reagent for probing hPNKP cellular function and will serve as the lead compound for further development of PNKP-targeting drugs...
- Differentiated keratinocyte-releasable stratifin (14-3-3 sigma) stimulates MMP-1 expression in dermal fibroblasts
Department of Surgery, Wound Healing Research Group, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
J Invest Dermatol 124:170-7. 2005
..Further, our recently purified recombinant 14-3-3sigma protein mimics the collagenase stimulatory effect of KCM in dermal fibroblasts...
- Pnk1, a DNA kinase/phosphatase required for normal response to DNA damage by gamma-radiation or camptothecin in Schizosaccharomyces pombe
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Oncology, University of Calgary Health Sciences Center, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:4050-5. 2002
..Expression of human PNKP in pnk1delta cells restores resistance to gamma-radiation or camptothecin, suggesting that the functions of yeast Pnk1 and human PNKP have been conserved...
- Stable down-regulation of human polynucleotide kinase enhances spontaneous mutation frequency and sensitizes cells to genotoxic agents
Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 1Z2
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6905-10. 2004
..These findings underscore the importance of hPNK in the maintenance of DNA integrity after damage induced by endogenous and exogenous agents...
- XRCC1 stimulates polynucleotide kinase by enhancing its damage discrimination and displacement from DNA repair intermediates
Rajam S Mani
Department of Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:28004-13. 2007
..First, XRCC1 enhances the capacity of hPNK to discriminate between strand breaks with 5'-OH termini and those with 5'-phosphate termini; and second, XRCC1 stimulates hPNK activity by displacing hPNK from the phosphorylated DNA product...
- Expression of a releasable form of annexin II by human keratinocytes
Experimental Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, Canada
J Cell Biochem 86:737-47. 2002
..This finding is consistent with the localization of annexin II detected by immunohistochemical staining...