- Mining rich health data from Canadian physician claims: features and face validity
Ceara Tess Cunningham
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, 3280 Hospital Dr, NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4Z6, Canada
BMC Res Notes 7:682. 2014
..There is skepticism from data users about the quality of this data. This study investigated features of diagnostic codes used in the Alberta physician claims database...
- Systematic review and assessment of validated case definitions for depression in administrative data
Kirsten M Fiest
Department of Community Health Sciences and Institute for Public Health, University of Calgary, 3280 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary T2N4Z6, Alberta, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 14:289. 2014
- Incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Europe: a systematic review
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
BMC Neurol 13:128. 2013
..This study aimed to systematically review European studies of incidence and prevalence of MS and to provide a quantitative assessment of their methodological quality...
- Perspectives on neurological patient registries: a literature review and focus group study
Department of Clinical Neurosciences and Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, Clinical Neurosciences, South Health Campus, 4448 Front Street SE, Calgary, Alberta T3M 1M4, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:135. 2013
..An examination and synthesis of registry stakeholder perspectives has not been previously reported in the literature...
- Development of an online tool to determine appropriateness for an epilepsy surgery evaluation
Department of Clinical Neurosciences and Hotchkiss BrainInstitute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Neurology 79:1084-93. 2012
..We aimed to develop a new Web-based methodology to assist physicians in identifying patients who might benefit from an epilepsy surgery evaluation...
- Recommendations for optimal ICD codes to study neurologic conditions: a systematic review
Christine St Germaine-Smith
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Canada
Neurology 79:1049-55. 2012
..Administrative health data are frequently used for large population-based studies. However, the validity of these data for identifying neurologic conditions is uncertain...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine by those with a chronic disease and the general population--results of a national population based survey
University of Calgary, Department of Community Health Sciences TRW Building 3rd Floor 3280 Hospital Drive NW Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4Z6, Canada
BMC Complement Altern Med 10:58. 2010
..This study aimed to determine the prevalence of CAM use in the general population and for those with asthma, diabetes, epilepsy and migraine...
- The development, evolution, and modifications of ICD-10: challenges to the international comparability of morbidity data
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Med Care 48:1105-10. 2010
- Motor vehicle accidents, suicides, and assaults in epilepsy: a population-based study
Division of Neurology, Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Neurology 76:801-6. 2011
..The goal of our study was to compare the incidence of motor vehicle accidents (MVA), attempted or completed suicides, and injuries inflicted by others between individuals with and without epilepsy...
- How accurate is ICD coding for epilepsy?
Division of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Epilepsia 51:62-9. 2010
..Assess the validity of ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 epilepsy coding from an emergency visit (ER) and a hospital discharge abstract database (DAD)...
- Health resource use in epilepsy: Significant disparities by age, gender, and aboriginal status
Division of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Epilepsia 49:586-93. 2008
..Epilepsy imposes a significant burden on society. The objective of this study was to estimate health resource utilization (HRU) over a 1-year period in epilepsy patients, using administrative databases...