- The risk of transfusion-transmitted infections in sub-Saharan Africa
Department of Surgery and Global Health Sciences, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Transfusion 50:433-42. 2010
..This study estimates the risks of acquiring human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), or hepatitis C virus (HCV) from a single unit of blood in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Disparities in injury mortality between Uganda and the United States: comparative analysis of a neglected disease
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, S321, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
World J Surg 35:505-11. 2011
..We describe injury-related mortality patterns in Kampala, Uganda and compare them with data from the United States and San Francisco (SF), California...
- First things first: effectiveness and scalability of a basic prehospital trauma care program for lay first-responders in Kampala, Uganda
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6955. 2009
..This study tests the effectiveness of this course and estimates the costs and cost-effectiveness of scaling up this training...
- Current patterns of prehospital trauma care in Kampala, Uganda and the feasibility of a lay-first-responder training program
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, S321, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
World J Surg 33:2512-21. 2009
..Uganda currently has no organized prehospital emergency system. We sought to measure the current burden of injury seen by lay people in Kampala, Uganda and to determine the feasibility of a lay first-responder training program...
- Surgery and anesthesia capacity-building in resource-poor settings: description of an ongoing academic partnership in Uganda
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, Room S 436, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
World J Surg 37:488-97. 2013
..This article describes the strategy of Global Partners in Anesthesia and Surgery (GPAS), an academically based, capacity-building collaboration between North American and Ugandan teaching institutions...
- Mycotic pseudoaneurysms due to injection drug use: a ten-year experience
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 26:819-24. 2012
..We hypothesized that debridement of the infected artery, followed by immediate vascular reconstruction, results in successful limb salvage in these patients...
- Surgical training and global health: initial results of a 5-year partnership with a surgical training program in a low-income country
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0570, USA
Arch Surg 143:860-5; discussion 865. 2008
..Surgical trainees in the United States have a growing interest in both clinical experiences and structured training opportunities in global health. Global health training and exposure can be integrated into a surgical residency program...