Affiliation: Yamagata University
- Otsuki N, Homma T, Fujiwara H, Kaneko K, Hozumi Y, Shichiri M, et al. Trichloroethylene exposure aggravates behavioral abnormalities in mice that are deficient in superoxide dismutase. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;79:83-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that SOD1 plays a pivotal role in protecting motor neuron function against TCE toxicity. ..
- Shirato T, Homma T, Lee J, Kurahashi T, Fujii J. Oxidative stress caused by a SOD1 deficiency ameliorates thioacetamide-triggered cell death via CYP2E1 inhibition but stimulates liver steatosis. Arch Toxicol. 2017;91:1319-1333 pubmed publisher..We conclude that elevated TAA metabolites and reactive oxygen species that are produced by CYP-mediated drug metabolism trigger lipogenesis as well as liver damage via ER stress and determine the fate of the mice. ..
- Homma T, Fujii J. Heat stress promotes the down-regulation of IRE1? in cells: An atypical modulation of the UPR pathway. Exp Cell Res. 2016;349:128-138 pubmed publisher..These collective results suggest that heat stress simultaneously activates both the UPR and autophagy, followed by the activation of a negative feedback system in UPR by modulating the responses related to the IRE1?-XBP-1 axis. ..
- Homma T, Akihara R, Okano S, Shichiri M, Yoshida Y, Yamada K, et al. Heightened aggressive behavior in mice deficient in aldo-keto reductase 1a (Akr1a). Behav Brain Res. 2017;319:219-224 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Akr1a might be involved in the metabolism of steroids and other carbonyl-containing compounds and, hence, the absence of Akr1a results in heightened aggression via a malfunction in a metabolic pathway. ..
- Kobayashi S, Lee J, Takao T, Fujii J. Increased ophthalmic acid production is supported by amino acid catabolism under fasting conditions in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:649-655 pubmed publisher..Thus the consumption of Cys and the parallel elevation of 2AB under fasting conditions appeared to force ?-glutamylcysteine synthetase to form ?-glutamyl-2AB, despite the fact that the enzyme has a higher Km value for 2AB than Cys. ..
- Fujii J, Iuchi Y, Okada F. Fundamental roles of reactive oxygen species and protective mechanisms in the female reproductive system. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005;3:43 pubmed..Thus, many antioxidative and redox enzyme genes are expressed and aggressively protect gametes and embryos in reproductive systems. ..
- Lee J, Kang E, Kobayashi S, Homma T, Sato H, Seo H, et al. The viability of primary hepatocytes is maintained under a low cysteine-glutathione redox state with a marked elevation in ophthalmic acid production. Exp Cell Res. 2017;361:178-191 pubmed publisher..Thus, OPT may become a marker for Cys insufficiency and might be used to predict pathological conditions of cells with elevated oxidative stress...
- Akihara R, Homma T, Lee J, Yamada K, Miyata S, Fujii J. Ablation of aldehyde reductase aggravates carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatic injury involving oxidative stress and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;478:765-71 pubmed publisher..Based on these collective results, we conclude that Akr1a exerts a protective effect against CCl4-induced hepatic steatosis by replenishing AsA via its antioxidative properties. ..