Affiliation: Waseda University
- Moriya S, Tahara Y, Sasaki H, Ishigooka J, Shibata S. Phase-delay in the light-dark cycle impairs clock gene expression and levels of serotonin, norepinephrine, and their metabolites in the mouse hippocampus and amygdala. Sleep Med. 2015;16:1352-1359 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that misalignment of the internal and external clocks by continuous shifting of the light-dark cycle affects the circadian clocks and monoamine metabolism in the amygdala and hippocampus of mice. ..
- Tahara Y, Shibata S. Entrainment of the mouse circadian clock: Effects of stress, exercise, and nutrition. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;119:129-138 pubmed publisher..Here, we focus on the central and peripheral clocks mostly in rodents' studies and review the findings of recent investigations of the effects of stress, exercise, and food on the entrainment system. ..
- Haraguchi A, Fukuzawa M, Iwami S, Nishimura Y, Motohashi H, Tahara Y, et al. Night eating model shows time-specific depression-like behavior in the forced swimming test. Sci Rep. 2018;8:1081 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that the NES feeding pattern causes phase shift of peripheral clocks and malfunction of the monoamine system, which may contribute to the development of time-specific depression. ..
- Tahara Y, Yamazaki M, Sukigara H, Motohashi H, Sasaki H, Miyakawa H, et al. Gut Microbiota-Derived Short Chain Fatty Acids Induce Circadian Clock Entrainment in Mouse Peripheral Tissue. Sci Rep. 2018;8:1395 pubmed publisher..SCFA oral gavage and prebiotic supplementation can facilitate peripheral clock adjustment, suggesting prebiotics as novel therapeutic candidates for misalignment. ..
- Ikeda Y, Kamagata M, Hirao M, Yasuda S, Iwami S, Sasaki H, et al. Glucagon and/or IGF-1 Production Regulates Resetting of the Liver Circadian Clock in Response to a Protein or Amino Acid-only Diet. EBioMedicine. 2018;28:210-224 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that glucagon and/or IGF-1 production are additional key factors in food-induced entrainment. ..
- Tahara Y, Aoyama S, Shibata S. The mammalian circadian clock and its entrainment by stress and exercise. J Physiol Sci. 2017;67:1-10 pubmed publisher..Therefore, using exercise to maintain the circadian clock at an appropriate phase and amplitude might be effective for preventing obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Wada M, Orihara K, Kamagata M, Hama K, Sasaki H, Haraguchi A, et al. Circadian clock-dependent increase in salivary IgA secretion modulated by sympathetic receptor activation in mice. Sci Rep. 2017;7:8802 pubmed publisher..We speculate that activation of sympathetic nerves during sleep may protect from bacterial access to the epithelial surface through enhanced secretion of IgA. ..
- Motohashi H, Sukigara H, Tahara Y, Saito K, Yamazaki M, Shiraishi T, et al. Polyporus and Bupleuri radix effectively alter peripheral circadian clock phase acutely in male mice. Nutr Res. 2017;43:16-24 pubmed publisher..These crude drugs may be therefore good modulators of the circadian peripheral clocks including liver and kidney, and circadian clock genes become new molecular targets for these crude drugs. ..