Affiliation: University of Tokyo
- Kita K, Hirawake H, Miyadera H, Amino H, Takeo S. Role of complex II in anaerobic respiration of the parasite mitochondria from Ascaris suum and Plasmodium falciparum. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1553:123-39 pubmed..Recent research has shown that the mitochondrial complex II plays an important role in the anaerobic energy metabolism of parasites inhabiting hosts, by acting as quinol-fumarate reductase. ..
- Kita K, Nihei C, Tomitsuka E. Parasite mitochondria as drug target: diversity and dynamic changes during the life cycle. Curr Med Chem. 2003;10:2535-48 pubmed..In fact, a specific inhibitor of nematode complex I, nafuredin, has been found in mass-screening using parasite mitochondria. ..
- Kawahara K, Suzuki T, Yasaka T, Nagata H, Okamoto Y, Kita K, et al. Evaluation of the site specificity of acute disuse muscle atrophy developed during a relatively short period in critically ill patients according to the activities of daily living level: A prospective observational study. Aust Crit Care. 2017;30:29-36 pubmed publisher..Compared to ADL-dependent patients, ADL-independent patients are prone to develop muscle weakness, especially in the lower limbs. ..
- Siregar J, Kurisu G, Kobayashi T, Matsuzaki M, Sakamoto K, Mi ichi F, et al. Direct evidence for the atovaquone action on the Plasmodium cytochrome bc1 complex. Parasitol Int. 2015;64:295-300 pubmed publisher..The findings indicate the importance of the mutation in the quinone binding site of the cytochrome b gene and that provide a direct evidence for the atovaquone inhibitory mechanism in the cytochrome bc1 complex of the parasite. ..
- Hikosaka K, Tsuji N, Watanabe Y, Kishine H, Horii T, Igarashi I, et al. Novel type of linear mitochondrial genomes with dual flip-flop inversion system in apicomplexan parasites, Babesia microti and Babesia rodhaini. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:622 pubmed publisher..The present finding provides insight into further understanding of evolution of mt genome structure...
- Sasaki Y, Kakimoto K, Dube C, Sikazwe I, Moyo C, SYAKANTU G, et al. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART) during the early months of treatment in rural Zambia: influence of demographic characteristics and social surroundings of patients. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2012;11:34 pubmed publisher..In addition, poverty reduction strategies may help to reinforce adherence to ART and could mitigate the influence of HIV infection for poor patients and those who fall into poverty after starting ART. ..