Affiliation: University of Tokyo
- Validation of the Karolinska sleepiness scale against performance and EEG variablesKosuke Kaida
Japan National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kawasaki, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 117:1574-81. 2006..The main aim of the present study was to investigate the validity and reliability of the KSS with electroencephalographic, behavioral and other subjective indicators of sleepiness...
- Role of sleep for encoding of emotional memoryKosuke Kaida
Human Technology Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan Electronic address
Neurobiol Learn Mem 121:72-9. 2015..Altogether, these findings indicate an importance of NonREM rather than REM sleep for the encoding of information that is independent of the emotionality of the materials. ..
- Can a short nap and bright light function as implicit learning and visual search enhancers?Kosuke Kaida
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Ergonomics 55:1340-9. 2012..A short nap is a powerful countermeasure against sleepiness compared to bright light exposure in the afternoon...
- The relationship between flow, sleepiness and cognitive performance: the effects of short afternoon nap and bright light exposureKosuke Kaida
Human Technology Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Japan
Ind Health 50:189-96. 2012..These results suggest that a short nap and bright light can be employed as a flow facilitator and that flow status can be used as an indicator in evaluating work efficiency and occupational mental health...
- The effects of asking for verbal ratings of sleepiness on sleepiness and its masking effects on performanceKosuke Kaida
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health JNIOSH, 6 21 1, Nagao, Tamaku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1324-31. 2007..This study investigated whether verbal rating sleepiness will itself affect sleepiness and performance...
- A short nap and natural bright light exposure improve positive mood statusKosuke Kaida
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kanagawa, Japan
Ind Health 45:301-8. 2007..These results suggest that the proper application of both natural light and a short nap shifts the mood status to the positive/favorable side...
- Indoor exposure to natural bright light prevents afternoon sleepinessKosuke Kaida
National Institute of Industrial Health, Kawasaki, Japan
Sleep 29:462-9. 2006..The present study examined the effects of indoor exposure to natural bright light on afternoon sleepiness...
- Psychosocial work characteristics predicting daytime sleepiness in day and shift workersMasaya Takahashi
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Tama ku, Kawasaki, Japan
Chronobiol Int 23:1409-22. 2006..The present findings may imply that redesigning these aspects of work environment would be of help in managing daytime sleepiness...
- Sickness absence in relation to psychosocial work factors among daytime workers in an electric equipment manufacturing companyYasumasa Otsuka
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
Ind Health 45:224-31. 2007..10). This study suggests that appropriate use of sickness absence at times of being exposed to high quantitative workload may help male workers to recover from stressful situations...
- Use of subjective and physiological indicators of sleepiness to predict performance during a vigilance taskKosuke Kaida
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kawasaki, Japan
Ind Health 45:520-6. 2007..These findings suggest that the KSS score, EEG alpha activity, and SDNN could be used to predict performance errors...
- Self-awakening prevents acute rise in blood pressure and heart rate at the time of awakening in elderly peopleKosuke Kaida
National Institute of Industrial Health, Kawasaki, Japan
Ind Health 43:179-85. 2005..These results suggest that self-awakening facilitates a more smooth transition from sleep to wakefulness via autonomic activation before the time of self-awakening...
- Effects of self-awakening on sleep structure of a daytime short nap and on subsequent arousal levelsKosuke Kaida
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, Hiroshima University, Kagamiyama, Japan
Percept Mot Skills 97:1073-84. 2003..Given this deeper sleep, severe sleep inertia occurred after the forced-awakening condition. In conclusion, it appeared a short nap with self-awakening was more effective in reducing a post-lunch dip than one with forced-awakening...
- Self-awakening, sleep inertia, and P3 amplitude in elderly peopleKosuke Kaida
The Japan Society for Promotion of Science
Percept Mot Skills 102:339-51. 2006..The present study indicates a 20-min. nap reduces afternoon sleepiness, and the application of self-awakening may contribute to higher arousal after a nap taken by this elderly group...
- The effects of self-awakening on heart rate activity in a short afternoon napKosuke Kaida
Behavioral Sciences, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, Hiroshima University, Kagamiyama, 1 7 1, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1896-901. 2003..This study examined whether anticipatory changes exist in heart rate prior to awakening from a nap by means of self-awakening. The effects of self-awakening on sleepiness after the short nap were also studied...
- Perceived sleepiness of non-shift working men in two different types of work organizationKenji Fukasawa
Department of Basic Clinical Science and Public Health, Tokai University School of Medicine, Japan
J Occup Health 48:230-8. 2006..It is suggested that not only lifestyle and sleep habits, but also the characteristics and dynamics of a work organization should be a focus of attention when planning measures to prevent sleepiness at work...