Affiliation: Ryukoku University
- Anti-predator defence and the complexity-stability relationship of food websMichio Kondoh
Centre for Ecological Research, Kyoto University, Hirano 2 509 3, Otsu, Japan
Proc Biol Sci 274:1617-24. 2007..The emergence of a positive connectance-stability relationship however necessitates food-web compartmentalization, high defence efficiency and low defence cost, suggesting that it only occurs under a restricted condition...
- Food-chain length and adaptive foragingMichio Kondoh
Faculty of Science and Technology, Ryukoku University, 1 5 Yokotani, Seta Oe cho, Otsu 520 2143, Japan
Proc Biol Sci 276:3113-21. 2009..The model also explains the recently reported positive effect of habitat size on food-chain length as a result of increased species richness and/or decreased connectance owing to interspecific spatial segregation...
- Food webs are built up with nested subwebsMichio Kondoh
Ryukoku University, 1 5 Yokoya, Seta Oe cho, Otsu, Japan
Ecology 91:3123-30. 2010..We discuss potential mechanisms for the emergence of nested structure in food webs and other types of ecological networks...
- Does foraging adaptation create the positive complexity-stability relationship in realistic food-web structure?Michio Kondoh
Department of Environmental Solution Technology, Faculty of Science and Technology, Ryukoku University, 1 5 Yokoya, Seta Oe cho, Otsu 520 2194, Japan
J Theor Biol 238:646-51. 2006..This result supports the robustness of adaptive food-web hypothesis and reveals the condition in which the hypothesis should be tested...
- Building trophic modules into a persistent food webMichio Kondoh
Faculty of Science and Technology, Ryukoku University, 1 5 Yokotani, Seta Oe cho, Otsu 520 2194, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16631-5. 2008..The food web can be viewed as a set of interacting modules, nonrandomly arranged to enhance the maintenance of biodiversity...
- High reproductive rates result in high predation risks: a mechanism promoting the coexistence of competing prey in spatially structured populationsMichio Kondoh
Center for Ecological Research, Kyoto University, Otsuka, Hirano cho, Kamitanakami, Otsu 520 2113, Japan
Am Nat 161:299-309. 2003....
- Habitat fragmentation resulting in overgrazing by herbivoresMichio Kondoh
Center for Ecological Research, Kyoto University, Otsuka, Hirano cho, Kamitanakami, 520 2113 Otsu, Japan
J Theor Biol 225:453-60. 2003....
- Foraging adaptation and the relationship between food-web complexity and stabilityMichio Kondoh
Center for Ecological Research, Kyoto University, Kamitanakami, Otsu 520 2113, Japan
Science 299:1388-91. 2003..The model predicts a linkage pattern consistent with field observations...