Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: RIKEN Brain Science Institute
- Patched and smoothened mRNA expression in human astrocytic tumors inversely correlates with histological malignancyMasateru Katayam
Developmental Brain Science Group, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Wako, Saitama, Japan
J Neurooncol 59:107-15. 2002..In contrast, there was no significant correlation between the mRNA levels of the Gli family members and histological malignancy, suggesting that Gli proteins are not associated with the progression of astrocytic tumors...
- Mice with a targeted mutation of patched2 are viable but develop alopecia and epidermal hyperplasiaErica Nieuwenhuis
Program in Developmental Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto Medical Discovery Towers, MARS Building, East Tower, Room 13 314, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L7, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:6609-22. 2006..While functional compensation by Ptc1 might account for the lack of a strong mutant phenotype in Ptc2-deficient mice, our results suggest that normal Ptc2 function is required for adult skin homeostasis...
- Differential requirement for Gli2 and Gli3 in ventral neural cell fate specificationJun Motoyama
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Research Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 259:150-61. 2003..Thus, Shh signaling is mediated by overlapping but distinct functions of Gli2 and Gli3, and their relative contributions vary along the rostral-caudal axis...
- Mouse Shh is required for prechordal plate maintenance during brain and craniofacial morphogenesisKazushi Aoto
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 327:106-20. 2009..These findings provide new insight into the mechanism underlying HPE pathoetiology during dynamic brain and craniofacial morphogenesis...
- Ptch1-mediated dosage-dependent action of Shh signaling regulates neural progenitor development at late gestational stagesYayoi Shikata
Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 349:147-59. 2011..These data indicated that endogenous Ptch1 mediates the broad effects of Shh on the transition from VZ progenitors to IPCs and activation of proliferation of the IPCs in the cortex during late gestational stages...
- FGF8 signaling patterns the telencephalic midline by regulating putative key factors of midline developmentToshiaki Okada
Laboratory for Cell Culture Development, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama, 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 320:92-101. 2008....
- Mouse GLI3 regulates Fgf8 expression and apoptosis in the developing neural tube, face, and limb budKazushi Aoto
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Science Institute, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 251:320-32. 2002..Together, our data reveal that GLI3 limits Fgf8-expression domains in multiple tissues, through a mechanism that may include the induction or maintenance of apoptosis...
- Fetal ethanol exposure activates protein kinase A and impairs Shh expression in prechordal mesendoderm cells in the pathogenesis of holoprosencephalyKazushi Aoto
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:224-31. 2008..However, the pathogenesis of HPE is not clear. In the present study, we investigated the teratogenic mechanism of ethanol-induced brain and facial malformations in mice...
- Essential roles of Gli3 and sonic hedgehog in pattern formation and developmental anomalies caused by their dysfunctionJun Motoyama
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, Saitama, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 46:123-8. 2006..The observations reviewed here offer a new perspective on understanding the pathogenesis of human birth defects caused by mutations of the Shh and Gli3 genes...
- Molecular analysis of coordinated bladder and urogenital organ formation by Hedgehog signalingRyuma Haraguchi
Center for Animal Resources and Development, CARD and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto, Japan
Development 134:525-33. 2007..Thus, the mesenchymal precursors for multiple urogenital structures derive from peri-cloacal mesenchyme and the coordination of urogenital organ formation from these precursors is orchestrated by Shh signals...
- Regulation of apoptosis and neurite extension by FKBP38 is required for neural tube formation in the mouseMichiko Shirane
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Genes Cells 13:635-51. 2008..Together, our findings suggest that FKBP38 is required for neuroectodermal organization during neural tube formation as a result of its anti-apoptotic activity and regulation of neurite extension...
- Expression of the mouse Fgf15 gene is directly initiated by Sonic hedgehog signaling in the diencephalon and midbrainHirotomo Saitsu
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Yoshida, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Dev Dyn 232:282-92. 2005..These findings indicate that Fgf15 is directly regulated by Shh signaling through Gli proteins...
- Differential activities of Sonic hedgehog mediated by Gli transcription factors define distinct neuronal subtypes in the dorsal thalamusKazue Hashimoto-Torii
Division of Morphogenesis, Department of Embryogenesis, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Mech Dev 120:1097-111. 2003..These results suggest that cooperation of the differential expression of Gli factors and the activity gradient of Shh signaling generates the distinct thalamic neurons at the specific locations...